News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn - turn and props  (Read 2755 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Turn - turn and props
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »
Guys,
Been flying some non flapped ships and a question came up as to the impact of prop diameter on a ships ability to turn in the wind. We know that diameter is King for efficiency but on my ships I notice that the larger diameter props slow the turn. As the wind comes up,  going to smaller diameter wide blade seems to help the turn and keep it pulling. Is there another way to get more pull and brakes with a different prop combination - 3 blade?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Turn - turn and props
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
It's the effect of Gyroscopic Precession.
The site listed below does a pretty good job of explaining it's action and why it makes it harder to turn and why it tends to make your airplane turnone direction on insides and another on outsides.
It's a complex problem but not difficult to understand the effects.  

http://www.rapp.org/archives/2008/09/gyroscopic-precession/

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
Randy,
Great article. Precession isn't a major problem these ships all use light wood props. The larger diameter are thin blade (Top Flite power tips design) and the smaller are the old Top Flite wide paddle blades. Question is how small a diameter and how wide a blade before it starts to fall off?

Best,      DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »
Guys,
Been flying some non flapped ships and a question came up as to the impact of prop diameter on a ships ability to turn in the wind. We know that diameter is King for efficiency but on my ships I notice that the larger diameter props slow the turn. As the wind comes up,  going to smaller diameter wide blade seems to help the turn and keep it pulling. Is there another way to get more pull and brakes with a different prop combination - 3 blade?

You don't need efficiency. We are putting piped 75's into airplanes that we used to fly with ST46s.

Brett

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
I agree for full PA but for Classic some of these ships need pulling power and turning power. Sometimes putting modern power in Nobler class ships have trouble turning with larger diameter props that today's engines can run. Hence the question for these types of ships its nice to have the power available but what is the compromise on prop diameter/layout to use the HP but maintain the engine run and turning response of the plane?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
I agree for full PA but for Classic some of these ships need pulling power and turning power. Sometimes putting modern power in Nobler class ships have trouble turning with larger diameter props that today's engines can run.

Possibly, but the breakthrough performance with modern engines is not that it will turn more prop diameter, its that it will turn the same diameter much faster and still have some responsiveness left.  Meaning you can use less pitch instead of more diameter. That hurts the efficiency but you have much more HP on tap. 

In your example, a Nobler with a 25 or 32, run something like 9-4 or 10-4 and repitch to balance the RPM vs the run quality. Particularly so when you don't have enough tail volume or yaw stability to run a big one. There's no rule that says that just because your aero-tiger might be able to swing a 12.5" prop that you have to do it, or that it's to your advantage.

My Jett 61 has no problem with a 13.5" 2-blade, and would probably turn a 15" 2-blade if I wanted to. But I run 12.5" at relatively higher revs because of the turn quality.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
Possibly, but the breakthrough performance with modern engines is not that it will turn more prop diameter, its that it will turn the same diameter much faster and still have some responsiveness left.  Meaning you can use less pitch instead of more diameter. That hurts the efficiency but you have much more HP on tap. 

In your example, a Nobler with a 25 or 32, run something like 9-4 or 10-4 and repitch to balance the RPM vs the run quality. Particularly so when you don't have enough tail volume or yaw stability to run a big one. There's no rule that says that just because your aero-tiger might be able to swing a 12.5" prop that you have to do it, or that it's to your advantage.

My Jett 61 has no problem with a 13.5" 2-blade, and would probably turn a 15" 2-blade if I wanted to. But I run 12.5" at relatively higher revs because of the turn quality.

Brett

Hi Brett,

How much difference do you see in turn rate if you use a 3 bld. versus a 2 blade?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
Hi Brett,

How much difference do you see in turn rate if you use a 3 bld. versus a 2 blade?

Depends entirely on the details of the prop. I can make the same prop with roughly the same RPM and in-flight speed alter the effects on the turns by slightly changing the pitch distribution. Given that, I would have a hard time trying to equate the results from one to the other.

I think the solution to the underlying problem is to break oneself of trying to throw on as much prop as the engine can handle, regardless of trading diameter for blade area, etc.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
Thanks, Brett. 

I have seen some advantage to using less prop than the biggest the engine can turn.  Such as a 10 1/2" instead of a 11" on a .40 muffled engine.  The engine ran smoother and the plane flew more to my liking.  It is a fact that we use more engine than is totally needed, but it allows so much more adaptation of props and such.  Having the engine run in a deep 4 with just a beep sometimes at the top and yet it has the guts to deal with bad air with out having to do a LOT of changes.

When I get back to flying, and get things back under control, I will have to see what you mean by redistributing the pitch.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
I have seen some advantage to using less prop than the biggest the engine can turn.  Such as a 10 1/2" instead of a 11" on a .40 muffled engine.  The engine ran smoother and the plane flew more to my liking.  It is a fact that we use more engine than is totally needed, but it allows so much more adaptation of props and such.  Having the engine run in a deep 4 with just a beep sometimes at the top and yet it has the guts to deal with bad air with out having to do a LOT of changes.

Exactly. By the way, since it came up in another thread recently, it's a variation on what Ted told me impressed him about Gene Schaefer's ST46 run - 35-sized airplane, ST46, and a Tornado 10-6. Lots of power available, small easy-to-turn prop, but dead smooth because it was running with little load variation and thus little break. Sort of like putting a Jett 61 in a 40VF airplane, or a PA75 in an ST46 model.

I think David is running a 13-4 3-blade, I think the 75 might be able to handle more than that, like maybe a 14.5 even at that RPM!  I know that the PA61 has NO PROBLEM spinning a 14-6 Rev-up with plenty of margin, even when its set up to run at 11,000 RPM. We tried that in a Dyno test. I can easily believe it when Al says his 76 will turn a 16" 2-blade.

BTW, the prop I used to win the 2006 NATs was a 11.875-3.75 3-blade, after buzzing it down at takeoff on the second Open flyoff flight. I also was third at the 2000 NATs using David's old break-in prop -11.5-3.6 3-blade. On the strongest PA61 any of us ever had, and 15% nitro, easily capable of spinning a 13.5-4 Bolly 3-blade.

Point being, when we had engines that ran out of poop at 9000 rpm, the only way to get more power, or to brag about having more power, was to use a bigger prop. Not any more.

BTW, on the topic of pitch distribution, you can have astonishing effect on the turn by just changing the pitch at the tips of the prop. On piped engines it's almost too effective- even a tiny change at the limits of repeatability can be far too much. Particularly with some engine setups. I have flown airplanes that would go halfway through a corner, then engine would kick, and the handle would almost get yanked out of my hand - which of course tightened up the corner almost instantly, too. That could be tamed a bunch of ways. One way would be to take out about .1" of pitch over the last 3-4 stations, which would also reduce the overhead tension. Another way is to use less diameter to reduce the break, and put the engine in a better spot so it doesn't break as hard in the middle of the corner but still can make it to the top of the circle.

Here's a thought experiment. PA61, 14-4 2-blade, lap time 5.3 seconds, ground launch rpm about 10200. Then take 1/2" off each prop tip. What  do you do to the lap time?  How do you get the lap time back to what you wanted, and then how does that effect the engine run in the maneuvers? Once you get that, what does it likely do to the in-flight shaft HP? And what does it do to the turn?

People were doing that trick with 12-6 VS 11.5-6 VS 11-6 Rev-ups  even back in the days of ST46s.

Brett

p.s. this is the topic that just keeps on giving. I would note that a lot of engines are referred to as "luggers". I submit that just means they won't run at higher revs effectively.

p.p.s. and yet more. Might as Doug how he sets up his engines - we discussed on SSW a long time ago.

Advertise Here
Tags: props 

Advertise Here