News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trophy Trainer  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Trophy Trainer
« on: May 22, 2023, 06:50:44 PM »
This is my first attempt to post pix on StuntHangar, so bear with me while I learn a few new things.

This is my Trophy Trainer.  It was designed by Tom Warden in 1960 (according to the plans.)  Specs:  wingspan 55", length 37", 565 sq in wing area, powered by an Enya .45 swinging a Zinger 11x5 prop.  Mine weighs in at 45 oz.  I am targeting first flight tomorrow morning.  We'll see what happens!

This is pic 1 of 5.

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: Trophy Trainer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 06:51:28 PM »
Pic 2 of 5.

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 06:52:14 PM »
Pic 3 of 5.

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 06:52:49 PM »
Pic 4 of 5.

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 06:53:24 PM »
Pic 5 of 5.

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »
The smile said it all Kermit!
WELL DONE!
Looking forward to the flight report. y1
The very best to you & your Trophy Trainer!
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 09:37:16 PM »
Nicely done and great flying to come.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 09:55:30 PM »
WAY TO GO Kermit!  See you at Brodak?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 10:21:08 PM »
Great looking plane.  Hope it flies well for you. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 10:49:16 PM »
Looks great!
The Trophy Trainer has an interesting history if you dig into it.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 05:35:04 AM »
Which carrier had the green tail? USS Ranger?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 06:02:17 AM »
Nicely done Kermit, looking forward to seeing it fly!

Don

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 06:24:14 AM »
If you plan to compete you have just won the Trifecta.  That plane is legal in nearly every CL Stunt event.  Really nice job, good luck with it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 06:28:55 AM »
Looks great!  #^

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »
Kermit that is a beautiful job.  I think Walter Umland kitted that design at one time.   Hope you are well.

Mike

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 09:56:44 AM »
Very nice Kermit..!
I like the use of silver in the center section..it "blends in" the mechanicals.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 12:15:50 PM »
Which carrier had the green tail? USS Ranger?

Yes CV4, USS Ranger was allocated Green for it's air group.  Lexington had Lemon Yellow, Saratoga-White, Yorktown- Red, Enterprise- True blue. Radio comms sucked back then so color codes ruled the day and every color had a meaning. D>K
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 04:10:10 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 01:19:50 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words and votes of confidence.

Maiden flight update and a clarification . . .

First, the clarification:  This airplane is not the Walter Umland kit.  It is plans-built from plans found here on StuntHangar and drawn by Bob Krueger with input from Tom Lay:  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/dual-purpose-plane-for-profile-and-classic/msg557466/#msg557466 .  But I would offer a word of warning:  the plan as printed in its current pdf format is about 5% too small.  I found that out when I printed the scale at the bottom of the plans.  That was not a problem for me because Adobe allows scaling pdf’s to any scale.  Once the correct size was printed, sawdust ensued!

The engine was bench run for a total of 150 minutes (yes, that’s 2-1/2 hours) with 1 gallon of fuel – 10% nitro with 11% castor/11% synthetic mix.  From the bench I knew it would consume 1 oz per 1-1/2 minutes run time, so I had a rough idea of how much fuel for a 5 minute flight.

Now the maiden flight update:  Just three words --- What a Joy!  I got in 5 flights this morning, all with 3-1/2 oz of fuel in the 5 oz tank.  The first 2 were a little rich so I got only about 4 minutes flight time.  The engine speed was 9000 to 9200 rpm on the ground, good enough for me to do gentle climbs and dives and, with enough momentum, an occasional wingover.  Flights 3 thru 5 maintained the 3-1/2 oz of fuel but with an increased speed of approximately 9600 to 9700 rpm and a resultant flight time of 5 to 5-1/2 minutes and lap times of 5.2 to 5.25 seconds.  This is where the joy comes in!  I gained enough confidence in the airplane’s and engine’s ability to do inside and outside loops, triangles, squares, inverted flight, lazy 8’s (both horizontal and vertical) and a one 4-leaf clover.  In all, a pretty good day and with enough info to make a few trim adjustments:

-   The best engine runs were at 9600 rpm as measured on the ground.
     -   The outboard wing is a flies a little low.  A flap tweak will fix this.
     -   I could tell from the inside loops that it was a little nose heavy (I wanted it that way for the first flights.)  I built an adjustable tail weight box in the rear of the fuselage which will get used now.
     -   Take-offs and landings were very smooth.  The airplane glides extremely well.
     -   Good line tension through all maneuvers.
     -   Inverted flight seemed good, but I may lower the fuel tank by 1/16” (the C/L of tank is currently 5/16” above C/L of venturi.)
     -   3-1/2 oz fuel yields a flight time of 5 to 5-1/2 minutes.  I will increase to 3-3/4 to 4 oz to assure I don’t get fuel starved in the overhead 8 or clover.

To answer a few earlier questions:

-   I know a little of the Trophy Trainer’s history, but just what I have researched here on StuntHangar.
     -   The US Navy used green tails on airplanes flying from the USS Ranger.  (I don’t have a family tie to the Ranger, I just liked the green color contrast!  I do have a tie to the USS Wasp but they used black tails later in the war.  I figured green would present better in the air.)
     -   The plan was to have an airplane that could compete in multiple events.  I hope I can have this ready in time for Brodak.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 04:14:17 PM »
Hi Kermit. I have gone through three TT and they all flew beautiful..One was on the heavy side, the others were just right.. Hard plane to not like. Have fun. H^^
Ty Marcucci

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2023, 09:18:07 AM »
Hi  KERMITT, Really fine looking ship as you've presented it! John Saunders of NJ has competed with one of these in Profile Stunt for several years and his flies great! His is electrically powered and presents quite well. I think you will enjoy this one very much! Will I be seeing you at the Brodak FlyIn? The Millers and I will be there Monday through Wednesday then home! Hope to see you there!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2023, 09:01:23 PM »
To paraphrase Paul Harvey, “and now, the rest of the story!”

I have built and flown balsa model airplanes for over 50 years, starting with rubber powered free flight and gliders.  The person most responsible for introducing me to control line stunt was Mr. Redfield Mattox.

My first day of high school (August 1975) was a bit overwhelming for me, and when I received my class schedule I saw I had one period as a study hall.  I figured that was a good thing, naively thinking I would get a lot of homework done before I got home.  I was on the academic track (compared to the vocational, business or general tracks) and knew I would have some heavy-duty subjects needing a bit of extra work.  When I got home and showed the schedule to my parents, my dad put his foot down and said “ABSOLUTELY NOT!” and explained to me how I would not be able to get any work done and likely end up in trouble.  I guess study hall kids had a bit of a reputation that he didn’t want me to have also.  Dad looked at the syllabus for the elective classes and found this thing called Drafting.  I had no clue what that was but he said to try it for a week and if I didn’t like it, he’d help find something else.

The Drafting classroom was in the vocational wing of the school, where the Horticulture, Auto Mechanics, and other like-minded classes were held.  As soon as I walked into the hallway, along one side, I saw a display case filled with control line airplanes!  Noblers, Flight Streaks, combat flying wings, all sorts of fun looking stuff, most of them with the word “NAVY” somewhere on the airplane!  Talk about excited!  I wanted to stay and gaze at them but had to be in class before the bell rang.  I sat behind a drawing board at the back of the class until the teacher made his way around to each desk, talking to each student and learning their names.  When he came to me, I asked about the airplanes in the display case.  He told me they belonged to him and I was welcome to come to the baseball outfield on Sunday afternoon to fly.  You’ve probably guessed by now that teacher was Mr. Mattox.  He was very patient with me, letting me fly his airplanes, crash them, take them home to repair, fly again and crash again.  He was one of the kindest gentlemen I have ever met.

Over the next 3 years (high school in our county started in 10th grade) we would fly every available Sunday afternoon.  My first real airplane capable of stunting was a Papoose, followed by a Nobler, then a Sig Mustang.

Over the years I gradually lost contact with Mr. Mattox.  He was invited to my wedding but couldn’t make it due to his wife’s health.  Life moves on – I embark on a career in Engineering and Quality Assurance living in North Carolina then Ohio, raise two terrific kids, and am still married to my first real love (this year will be 39 years --- not a bad start, huh?!)  Fast forward to about 2013 or so and curiosity takes hold.  I find out Mr. Mattox passed away in 2012.

Now the REAL rest of the story.  From his obituary, I found out Mr. Mattox spent 21 years as a pilot in the US Navy serving in World War 2 and Korea.  The NAVY emblazoned on his airplanes made sense now.  He was also awarded the Navy Cross for flying his F6F Hellcat with his squadron into Tokyo Bay, bombing and sinking a Japanese aircraft carrier.  I’ve been able to find a little history of his squadron, VF-81 flying from the USS Wasp, and also know that not all of the pilots who left on the Tokyo Bay mission came back.  Squadron VF-81 was nicknamed The Freelancers.  My Trophy Trainer’s rudder bears their patch as a tribute to my friend and drafting teacher, Mr. Redfield Mattox.  All the years I knew him, he never mentioned anything about his time in the Navy.  His focus was always on his students and I am grateful and honored to have known him.

On this Memorial Day weekend please find the time to pause for a minute and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, especially their families who must miss them terribly, and if you can thank a veteran for their service.  I believe Mr. Mattox would want it that way, too.

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2023, 06:04:57 AM »
Thank you for the "back story" on your airplane. Mr Mattox would be pleased I'm sure.

Mike Morrow

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2023, 06:15:09 AM »
That is a great story Kermit - thank you for sharing.  Now get flying, I am anxious to see you & the TT at Brodak!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here