News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transporting models when moving house (removal companies)  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Transporting models when moving house (removal companies)
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:33:30 AM »
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on how to get your models transported with a removals company and not end up with a pile of matchsticks?

I moved intertstate a year ago, and didn't trust the removalists much, so i gave them my quarter scale Cap 10B to transport, and a bunch of kits, and sure enough, the kits were upended and the CAP 10 got a broken empenage for it's troubles.

All my models (all take apart at that time) were wedged into my station wagon and I drove the 2,500 miles myself with a 2m sailplane wing in my ear the whole way.

Now it looks like we're going to be shipped out again, and this time taking all the models in the car is not going be to feasible (the cars are being shipped by train, and must be empty), and I have a 60" stunter and a Cobra on the bench, both of which aren't take apart.

Got any ideas on how I can get these to where I'm going in the hands of ham fisted meat heads?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Transporting models when moving house (removal companies)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:02:48 AM »
Greg
 Where are you headed?
Paul Allen

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 04:38:23 AM »
Truthfully, not sure right now, it'll either be Melbourne or Perth, depending on where we're needed.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 04:55:42 AM »
I would rent a vehicle capable of holding the planes.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 05:12:27 AM »
I would rent a vehicle capable of holding the planes.
Or a trailer if your vehicle can tow it. With lots of soft padding.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
Maybe see if small self pack shipping containers are available to you.
We have them here and the rental company just drops it off for you and when you have it packed to your satisfaction they pick it up and ship it to your destination.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
I was born in an Army hospital and before 40 moved 16 times all across the USA and Over seas....every one who have lived and moved a lot ONLY has horror stories

Look into very good INSURANCE and pay the premium
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on how to get your models transported with a removals company and not end up with a pile of matchsticks?

I moved intertstate a year ago, and didn't trust the removalists much, so i gave them my quarter scale Cap 10B to transport, and a bunch of kits, and sure enough, the kits were upended and the CAP 10 got a broken empenage for it's troubles.

All my models (all take apart at that time) were wedged into my station wagon and I drove the 2,500 miles myself with a 2m sailplane wing in my ear the whole way.

Now it looks like we're going to be shipped out again, and this time taking all the models in the car is not going be to feasible (the cars are being shipped by train, and must be empty), and I have a 60" stunter and a Cobra on the bench, both of which aren't take apart.

Got any ideas on how I can get these to where I'm going in the hands of ham fisted meat heads?

I wouldn't risk it. I moved and they put the models in very large "picture" boxes, and they actually were OK, but I took the good one in the car with me. I would keep a car, put the models in it, and drive.

Unless you make custom wooden boxes, I would not expect movers to safely move the models.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
Maybe see if small self pack shipping containers are available to you.
We have them here and the rental company just drops it off for you and when you have it packed to your satisfaction they pick it up and ship it to your destination.

Ooh, yes.  They're called "Pods" over here.

Pack the models like the pod will be dropped off the end of the truck onto concrete.  Watch "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" before you pack the pod.  Pay attention to what happens to the refrigerator -- use that as mental prep.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
As a USAF kid, we moved quite a bit, but always around the USA. We used "wardrobe" boxes (intended to pack a closet full of hanging suits or dresses) and packed our models in there with lots of newspaper wrapped around each model and wads of newspaper stuffed into the voids between them. We then carried the box onto the truck ourselves and oversaw the placement and how other things were jammed around it. At offload, we oversaw that, also. We had VERY little damage to our models, after transfers over thousands of miles.  H^^ Steve   

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here