News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom tom  (Read 4152 times)

Offline David M Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tom tom
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »
Ok, I was given a Tom tom that needed some help.  I've recovered it and fixed a warped wing my question is on what length of lines would this fly on? It uses a fox 29 with a 9X6 prop.
We're havin some fun now!!

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Tom tom
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:57:48 AM »
Nice rebuild! #^

As for lines, start with 60' X .015.
Adjust as needed.

Be sure to use enough oil in the Fox 29.

"Tight Lines!"

Wes

Wes Eakin

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »
The Tom Tom was my first 35 size airplane. Used a Fox 35 stunt, silk covering, Aerogloss dope, and gobs of Ambroid glue. Don't remember the line length, or what happened to it, as that was well over fifty years ago.

I have a CLC kit that I hope to duplicate some day, but at my age that is not likely to happen. Day dreams still occupy most of my time.

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »
I still have my Tom-Tom that needs patching that I flew for a couple of years.  Fox 35 Stunt for power with Top Flite 10-6 prop on 60 x .015 cable center of plane to center of handle.  Good flying plane me.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »
The Tom Tom was my first 35 size airplane.

Day dreams still occupy most of my time.

Mine, too, both cases.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »
David
I am in the middle of building an original Veco Tom Tom and it is shaped differently than yours??!!??

What I am building is more Combat Streak(flight streak) in shape and is for .19 although a .35 would work.

Just currious as to the difference in the 2 planes.

Yours is looking good for resto! #^

David
David Roland

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
When I had the covering off the wings this had stenciled numbers on the ribs so I'm sure it is a kit plane but I couldn't say who the manufacture is. Hope these will help you with the manufacture. I also took a photo of my next project, a SIG super Chip that had the tail crushed.
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:45:22 PM »
It is almost certainly a Veco kit. I built one in about 1960. Still recall the checkerboard box with the names of other Veco kits (many Palmer designs) on the squares. Fox 29 in mine. I had no idea what I was doing at the time (not like now!) and just goofed around with loops and things. Not sure who designed it but it looks very Bob Palmer-ish and of course he had a very close (though not always happy) relationship with Veco. I was a combat flyer and knew nothing about formal stunt flying. No reason yours should not fly just fine once the wing is straight.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 07:10:01 AM »
I have VECO advertising showing both versions were kitted by VECO but I don't know what the exact differences are. I'm sure one of the CL experts here will know.

I have a CLC repro kit of the one David has. It has VECO plans with hand drawn construction additions of the fuse. This version is harder to find than the combat streakish one and I don't know of anyone who has full size plans available. The VECO plans are small isometric type without the vital info to scratch build. If I ever build this one it will likely have a 29S GH, Fox 25 or 35. LL~
Bill P.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »
The first version of the Tom Tom is like the one that David has restored. It came with the turtle deck cockpit. Later VECO came out with the one that is like a Super Combat Streak with just a bubble canopy. The only person I know of that was making kits of the first version is Larry Richards. Not real sure if he is doing that one anymore or not. Would probably be a killer flyer with a OS 20 FP.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »
I believe these are the Tomahawk wing on full fuses.
Bill P.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:15 AM »
I believe these are the Tomahawk wing on full fuses.

That is correct Bill.

I traced most parts for mine.
David Roland

Offline larry richards

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:25 AM »
Bill is correct. The first version of the Tom Tom by Veco has the turtle deck and all straight wing with 1/4" sq. leading edge and 40" W.S.  The second version that some say combat streakish look was changed and produced by Dumas after they took over the Veco line.  I have both original kits on hand and the Veco version is by far the best in my opinion as it has the Smoothie style windscreen design.  As stated by Bill, I use to make this kit but had a rib to spar problem plus lost a few templates and had to stop production of it as I borrowed the original kit which was returned to its owner.  As it stands today, I have recently received the original kit back and made up the missing parts and went with Laser Cut ribs and aluminum landing gear!  Now the kit is even better than before.  I have restarted this kit and it is now available for order. Veco was famous for installing 1/8" sq. secondary spars in 1/8" round holes in the ribs all the way up to the Chief and smoothie!  I have not disappointed you, I stayed true to the original design and you will get the 1/8" sq. spars and round holes in the laser cut ribs.  This kit will be on my website in the next week or so.  Please have a look for this newer kit.  The Tom Tom is a very nice flying model and I compare it to the Warrior and Brave.  Larry  H^^
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:40:09 AM by larry richards »

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:45:40 AM »
Here's the Tom Tom from the VECO advertisement in the Jan 1958 MAN.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline larry richards

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
Thank you George for the picture.  I did get a couple of emails wanting to see a picture of the Tom Tom and thanks to you everyone can see it now.  Larry  H^^

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
Another pic...

Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here