News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thunder Gazer  (Read 2175 times)

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Thunder Gazer
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
Better to ask this now than later--   Given that the kit I have is a few years old (I don't know it's actual date), are there any updates that I should know about before starting?  Thanks.
AMA 34849

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thunder Gazer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
Tom, if you're going to keep building at this rate you're either going to need to start either selling planes or crashing them.  Do we need to invent a "stunt plane combat" class to keep you from filling your house with stunters?  (Lessee -- your overall score is a combination of your pattern score plus ten points for every ribbon cut you get on the other guy while you are both doing the pattern).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
We could start practicing that tomorrow!  (Must keep building, must keep building, must........)
AMA 34849

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »

where do i sign up  chop chop
rad racer

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
Better to ask this now than later--   Given that the kit I have is a few years old (I don't know it's actual date), are there any updates that I should know about before starting?  Thanks.

Tom,
My first question is;  Have you built a Geodetic wing before?  It's a little difficult (not impossible, maybe) to build one straight without a lost foam jig.  It definitely is a lot easier with the jig.

I'm not aware of any updates to the kit but the fellow that would know is Eric Rule at RSM...give him a call.

Bob Hunt, of course supplies the lost foam jigs but I have no idea if his jig will work with the kit ribs.
I have one of these kits also but haven't built it.  I have built several Geodetic wings using Bobs lost foam system...fall together easy...without the jig alignment is tricky...

Photo shows a similar wing for my Whitely Shoestring built with a Lost Foam Jig.  I tried building one over a plan with rib jigs and it was a disaster...I'm not trying to say it can't be done but it didn't turn out very well for me until I got the LF Jig.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »
Thanks Randy, I will  bone up on that (as in do a good search here ;D). I see you have full span flaps, unlike the kit. Just noticed....
AMA 34849

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
Bob Hunt would be happy to set you up with cradles, and leading edge forms if you want to go that route.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
Thanks Randy, I will  bone up on that (as in do a good search here ;D). I see you have full span flaps, unlike the kit. Just noticed....

Hi Tom,
If you're referring to the Whitely Shoestring wing, it was not built from the kit just plans.  I fly with Bob and actually have his original in my posession (been flying it for a while after my Geo XL was stolen from the flying field here in Tucson.
The original was built with a Bob Hunt Saturn wing and this one is being built with a Hunt Geo Super Saturn wing!!!  I had built one of these before and already had the Lost Foam Jig.

The wing size and shape is changed a bit from the original which makes this one the Shoestring II.  There are a few other minor changes that Bob and I have discussed.

It's all been put on the back burner while I finish my Colossus for VSC.

Randy Cuberly

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:54:59 AM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
The ribs in the kit don't work with Hunt's lost foam jig. When I was putting together mine, my grandfather and I noticed that the ribs were almost like a different airfoil compared to what Bob gives you.  If I remember correctly, the chord was longer on the ribs supplied in the kit than the chord on the lost foam jig. My grandfather and I decided it was just easier to make new ribs rather than try to make the laser cut ones fit.

Matt Colan

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
Hi Matt,
If the canted angle of the ribs are different, they certainly not match in length. Thanks for the response, I'm still trying to get all the ducks in a row.....
Tom
AMA 34849

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here