News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrust to weight ratios and wing loadings  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Michael O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
    • Propellerhead
Thrust to weight ratios and wing loadings
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:58:15 AM »
I am a Swedish retread and new to this forum. I grew up with 1/2A C/L aircraft, but most of my modelling career have been spent flying R/C aircraft. Because there seem to be an almost infinite amount of C/L wisdom available in this forum I have a couple of questions:

What is the typical thrust-to-weight ratio of a stunt aircraft (old time, classic and new)?

Also, is there some optimum wing loading for C/L aircraft? My reason for asking is that I have seen some very light Noblers that to me appeared to perform worse than heavier aircraft of the same type.

I am fully aware of the limited usefulness of the concept of static thrust-to-weight ratio, but I really would like to know what I should be aiming for.

Regards,
Michael O  H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Thrust to weight ratios and wing loadings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:07:07 AM »
I am a Swedish retread and new to this forum. I grew up with 1/2A C/L aircraft, but most of my modelling career have been spent flying R/C aircraft. Because there seem to be an almost infinite amount of C/L wisdom available in this forum I have a couple of questions:

What is the typical thrust-to-weight ratio of a stunt aircraft (old time, classic and new)?

Also, is there some optimum wing loading for C/L aircraft? My reason for asking is that I have seen some very light Noblers that to me appeared to perform worse than heavier aircraft of the same type.

I am fully aware of the limited usefulness of the concept of static thrust-to-weight ratio, but I really would like to know what I should be aiming for.

Regards,
Michael O  H^^

Hi Michael,

Many people do quote certain wing loading ranges in relation to different designs.  11oz. to 13 oz. seem to be the range I hear a lot.

The note about the Nobler is somewhat baffleing to me, but I don't disagree.  Baffleing because Mr. Gieseke has always built his Noblers very light!  ??? ???

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Thrust to weight ratios and wing loadings
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:25:32 AM »
Have been a bunch of discussions on the ideal weight for a Nobler and the general conclusions as far as I understand things is with a 1-1 flap ratio it needs to be a little on the heavy side to preform properly. I never have a problem building too light I always seem to end up around 12 ounces per... Was speaking to an expert from Dallas and he told me he always builds for a target of around 13 ounces because the heaver wing loading seems to preform better in wind. Bill's 11-13 seems to be the most often quoted..

Not sure anyone can answer your thrust question, most of us have heard the number means nothing so haven bothered to measure it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here