News:

• May 06, 2024, 05:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This website?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
This website?
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:46:57 AM »
Do you guys like how this site is laid out? Is there too many sections? Not enough? There are some other category's that could be added. I got a letter that made sense about the category's. It said separate category's make it easier to Skip the stuff that you not interested in.

The members need to tell me.

Some of the category's are expandable and some are not, would you like it better if they all were expandable?

We are once again coming into winter and I will have some time to devote to the web duty's. With your input we will take this site off the chart!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 06:13:26 AM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: This website?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »
So far what I have seen does not need to be changed.  I have noteiced some catagories do not have too many posts, while others are hit quite a bit.  I say it looks great as is.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

rogerpion

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »
This forum is just fine.  Lots of good stuff; easy to navigate. 

Let it ride for a while and see if it's broke.  If'n it aint, don't fix it!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:09:01 PM »
Here's my only question, Robert:  What does a guy need to do to get in on the "Vendor's Corner"--I mean, as a Cottage Industry-er?

--Ray

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:11:14 PM by Robert Storick »
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
Send me The name of you business and user name for those who would like a spot. All I am doing is providing you the space you must maintain it.
AMA 12366

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »
I think this  forum is great and I appreciate the effort that goes into it by Sparkey and all that are involved.

The only suggestion I might offer would be a beginners section where those who are just starting or, more likely, getting back into c/l flying after a long absence might be more comfortable in asking an elementary question.  Perhaps some are reluctant to ask such questions for fear of annoying others.

Probably not necessary as most of the experienced folks here are very good about addressing basic stuff.  Just thought it might have some merit.

Happy Holidays,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 07:47:40 PM »
Good idea about a beginners section, but maybe call it something else?  Don't want to make someone feel stupid about posting there, but still want to get across the idea that it's for less than expert people, like me, for instance.  Maybe "general control line topics"?  "Stunt" kind of makes people think that they should be some kind of expert. Maybe " sport flying"?   I kind of like the sport flying idea.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 08:36:49 PM »
Best control line forum around.
Thanks
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
Good idea about a beginners section, but maybe call it something else?  Don't want to make someone feel stupid about posting there, but still want to get across the idea that it's for less than expert people, like me, for instance.  Maybe "general control line topics"?  "Stunt" kind of makes people think that they should be some kind of expert. Maybe " sport flying"?   I kind of like the sport flying idea.

Hi Russell,

The idea is great if anyone is a *little* shy about posting their questions.  I would hope, however, that the "General Control Line Discussion" section (which we are in now) would serve that purpose.  It has been my observation that any and all questions are answered here very appropriately.  If that isn't the case, I am sure that another section could be added.

What char think?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
Bluntly stated I think it is the best forum on this subject or any other subject, that I have ever seen. The layout is excellent.  The people are excellent. The moderators are excellent and I am sure that if you choose to make any changes they will also be excellent.

Did I come across as liking this forum?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »
As stated earlier the Open Section is the place for begginner questions.   We were all beginners at one time.  I also learn something once in awhile from their questions.  I really liked the one about the extra peice on the plane to attach the over flow to on uni-flow tanks.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 08:33:33 AM »
Doc;

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I would also like to add, when do you stop being a "BEGINNER"? The way Technology is changing today I will be one forever.

Every time I see a post about something new in technique I read it over and over then compare to see the difference in it and the "OLD WAY" of doing it. Sometimes it's better sometimes it's not. It's up to us to decide. As I see it thats what this Forum is for and that's what it does.

Any additions to the site can only add to the help that is available here. I for one am all for any kind of progress that will help the cause. Darn it "Doc" now you've got me "RAMBLIN"

Enough said, keep up the good work Robert, it's working just fine.

Bill Gruby   y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »
Sparky,

I like the site very much and am proud to be an active participant. I like the current number of sections and would be concerned if you broke them up too much.

Many postings could fit in multiple sections already. If there are more sections, it means we all must bounce around a lot to see everything. I hate to be a drag, but my "surfing" time is limited sometimes.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 10:35:33 AM »
Back during the years I was writing the IN THE BEGINNING column for SN I received some compliments. The best one came from a fuzzy ol guy that walked up behind me and said " Ward, I want you to know, when I get my copy of SN in the mail the first place I go is to your article. You are constantly reminding me of the things I've forgotten!"

That fuzzy ol guy was Bob Gieseke. I love him!

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 06:44:21 PM »
Hi Bill,

As with MANY web forums, the vast majority of "members" are not likely to post a lot.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just human, or should I say "web", nature.  Just like the extremely small % of people who vote at election time.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 08:00:48 PM »
If you add a "beginners" type section, I think it should simply be titled "Basics".

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »
If you add a "beginners" type section, I think it should simply be titled "Basics".

I agree. if Robert decides to ad that section I can not think of a better name.

Darn I wish I had thought of that er- er- er-er  I mean I was just ready to say why not call it Basics

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »
Hello,

I like the idea of a "Basics" section where questions and answers of that nature could be presented. 

I teach fly fishing and fly casting techniques.  I do a number of seminars and casting demonstrations annually.  There's always several spectators that come to me after the demonstration and ask questions about basics.  Many are experienced fly anglers but have either forgotten or never learned some basic stuff which hinders their ability to improve their casting/fishing success.

Point is these folks are reluctant to ask basic questions openly.  I guess they feel that would be out of place.  They almost always ask the basic questions in a  more comfortable situation.

A "Basics" section might be worth a try.  If there's not much interest or participation, push some buttons and eliminate it.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Basics
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »
I think the basic questions are best asked in open forum. We have a building section for guy's like Al Rabe myself and others to post construction articles. Engine section etc.. If I started a basic section would it be basic flight,basic engine set up, basic construction etc..

I guess the question I had was more on basic layout. Should all the category's be expandable? Locked etc.. The Vendors corner was added to give a little boost to this site and if my guess is right should work to everyones advantage.

Please try not to forget I am not a professional web-master I am self taught and know nothing about web design. I just tried to copy and improve on other sites I have visited. Kinda like what would I like to see. I am not closed minded to any suggestion the only way to grow is change. Now I know some don't like change but I will make the promise the changes will be so slight and so far in between you won't even notice. It will be like I wounder when that showed up.

I have taken on this second hobby only to pass on things I have learned and things I can learn from you. I am not getting rich except in the fact that I am trying to help keep this hobby alive.
AMA 12366

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 11:16:59 AM »
Since coming to this site i have asked a lot of "basic" questions and not once have i felt i should not have asked the question by the responces i have gotten back. this is the best site i ahve been on to ask those sorts of questions. It ain't broke don't fix it. This from a 50's flyer coming back. Ron  :## y1 <= #^ AP^

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »
Robert,
You say you are not getting rich on this site but how much is the friendships you have built here worth?

Thanks for a great site and the new "Vendors Corner".

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
Robert,
Your site is fantastic, and very informative. I agree with you that another topic is not is needed. The info here is useful at all levels.

I also feel that we are very fortunate to have two excellent forums. They seem to compliment each other.

If you were to add a "Basic" section, Ward would be an excellant candidate for the moderator.

Ward,

The "picture" of Bob G is something else.  I will have to make a copy and give it to him. He will love it.
AMA 7544

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »
Tom, etc.

I guess I was just trying to say that "BASICS" apply to us all in some form, whether beginner, or Champion! We all have something to learn from each other...

Tom, plz see that Bob gets my 'cartoon'! And don't forget to tell him who sent it!
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006, 10:55:15 PM »
From a recent experience I had on "another" forum you always want to try to be very accurate in the way that you ask questions. Kinda like asking questions about religion. You never know who your going to offend.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 02:18:47 AM »
THIS IS THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB
FOR OUR SPORT.

NO NEED TO CHANGE ANYTHING

VINCENT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »
Sparky;  This is my number uno site right now.  One of the others has upgraded to something I can't keep track of things on.  The other one is still full of people nit picking and griping with out doing anything.  Have a Merry Christmas.  DOC Holliday

PS:I guess Onlycontroline is no more. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
Should I open this website up?
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 07:41:54 AM »
A new mod has come out to allow guests to view the website forum. Should I open it up?
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Should I open this website up?
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 08:51:42 AM »
A new mod has come out to allow guests to view the website forum. Should I open it up?

Is there a good reason not too?

I think it might draw a few more folks. AP^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 11:49:35 AM »
Hi Robert,
It ain't only "not broke", it's the MOST EFFICIENT website I go to.  I say this from a DIAL UP prospective!  Your site loads more quickly and better than a lot of "professional" websites on my computer.  It's almost like I'm on DSL, no joke.
And with this, a huge thank you for doing it1  Now take some time off & build-build-build!
Will Hinton j1 AP^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 10:02:52 PM »
I guess I will be the freak (yet again) and tell ya right out front (sound a little like Floyd, huh?)....having seperate forum sections seems 'wrong' to me. Not because it's a bad idea, but because stuff is always going to get mixed up and then it becomes hard to remember which forum to look in for that thread you wanted to check up on. Yes, it's happened to me, already. Threads tend to drift from one question or statement into another direction. Sometimes frustrating, but on the other hand, if the information is useful to somebody, you can't complain too much.

I'd love to see an internal bookmark system, but then if you change software, you could lose them all, like happened on Leonard's forum. That was almost tragic for some of us that really used the bookmarks. It would be nice to be able to share the bookmark system, also. Yes, the "Search" function is supposed to do pretty much the same thing, but they don't always seem to work as well as we'd like. FWIW.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 11:06:42 PM »
Robert,
Looks like your question, pertaining to "guests" viewing the forum, got buried.
Does it mean, "view only", and therefore comments will not be accepted?
This does prohibit undesireable comments from those who post to create contentious discussions.
Why not repost it as a separate item and let those who might have missed it comment on same? 
Just a thought,   
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 12:00:42 AM »

I'd love to see an internal bookmark system,

I am not sure exactly how the bookmark system that you are talking about worked, but I have created my own system of bookmarks. When I see a thread that I want to refer later I right click and send a shortcut to the desktop. On the desk top I have a folder that I put the shortcuts in to. If I don't think the name is self explanatory I rename it.

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 08:46:58 AM »
My thoughts as mostly a lurker, also a combat flyer:

Guest Viewing - YES frustrating to get to a site that may be of interest but not be able to see it. Just restrict replies until they join

Bookmarks - YES allows a link to be set up in a separate section to any item of personal interest

Classifieds - Maybe move closer to the  top of the list just under the open forum. At the end it gets lost. On SSW it is the first section I look at.

Like the separate section on non stunt events

Basic - is best left in the open section I feel because most users are there and these are the people who have the most knowledge of answering basic and advanced questions.
Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »
  I like the suggestion to allow Visitors to view, but not post until they become members. I also like the suggestion to move the Classified section to the top just after the open forum.

Bigiron    y1
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
  I like the suggestion to allow Visitors to view, but not post until they become members. I also like the suggestion to move the Classified section to the top just after the open forum.

Bigiron    y1

Sorry I will not be putting the classified section under open forum. That would be like having the want  adds under the headline of your daily newspaper. It's at the bottom unless your a supporter then it is above the Trophy room.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here