News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:09:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Them weretha days . Mc D. & Bob H. in the movies . 1980 ??  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Them weretha days . Mc D. & Bob H. in the movies . 1980 ??
« on: July 12, 2016, 05:34:17 AM »
First 4 minutes aint bad . Doing a 21st Century Version at THIS Nats ??

Anyone got a link to Paul Walkers 78 Nats flight on U Tube , or other hyster - Er HISTORICAL 70s or 80s F2B film .

Thanks ./

presume a lotve seen it . Flogged from R C Groups .

A modern version playng in hobby stores might get a few bites .

added this July 4 .
 65 / world champs .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:55:44 PM by RC Storick »

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
Re: Them weretha days . Mc D. & Bob H. in the movies . 1980 ??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »
I have seven 5" reels of 8mm (super?) film taken at the 76 Utrecht World Champs.
Robby Hunt and I have just started a conversation on how to go about transferring these films to a "more current" media form.
I have watched these films several times, the most recent was probably about thirty years ago.
The entire content is F2B and, if I remember correctly, they show a little pit activity, some podium scenes and a whole lot of flying.
An Army Sargent by the name of Don Schullian shot these. You PAMPA members here may recall I mentioned him in The Stiletto Chronicles since he was the guy that arranged the purchase of some desperately needed nitomethane. I owe this guy big time because without the nitro and Doc Jacksons brewing skills I would be one medal short!
Hopefully, in the near future, Robby can pave the way to having these films on DVD. Stay tuned.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
Sadly, the AMA is more likely to spend our dues making a deluxe movie about Quadrotors.  '' Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
No worries Steve, the AMA will probably never see any of these films.
Don't get me wrong, they would be more than welcome, it's just that the whole process will be done without AMA input.

I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 11:59:45 PM »
Hi Les,
Wow.......I can't wait to see those old movies. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm sure that Robby knows how to get them converted over there. The best way is with a tele-cine convertor which synchronizes an electronic shutter to the frame rate. The old 8 mm silent movies run at 18 frames per second so shooting it with a video camera running at 25 or 30 fps causes a strobe effect. If you used sound at that time, which was not easy, then the frame rate was 24 fps. The last short video posted by Robbie was fine though so I'm sure that he know this stuff. There is most likely a lot of old C/L movie footage lying around so I would encourage anyone who has stuff like this to please get it converted to share on Youtube. I would love to see Al Rabe flying his original Sea Fury!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
Who is the 3rd stunt pilot starting at the 40 sec mark right after Bob Hunt ?

Link doesn't work anymore..   Video is on YouTube and titled "Wired for Excitement"
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
I looked at the wired for excitement film quite a few times.
brings back OLD memories of that years Nats. I was flying speed at that time
and the husband and wife team were the Margridos from Freemont CA.

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 04:48:27 PM »

"Who is the 3rd stunt pilot starting at the 40 sec mark right after Bob Hunt ?"

Bob Whitely

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 05:52:18 PM »
This is from the December 1979 Model Airplane News.

I never saw Bob fly, but I did see the guy in the lower left corner fly at a lot of contests in the early '90's.  He was pretty good!  (Ain't that an understatement.)  One of my two stunt heros.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
This is from the December 1979 Model Airplane News.

I never saw Bob fly, but I did see the guy in the lower left corner fly at a lot of contests in the early '90's.  He was pretty good!  (Ain't that an understatement.)  One of my two stunt heros.
Interesting, Paul had a flying stab airplane, never heard about that one before
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Interesting, Paul had a flying stab airplane, never heard about that one before

there were a number of such airplanes built in our area during that same approximate period.  None of them caused us to adapt such a thing in future designs.  IIRC, all of them sported rotations about roughly the 1/4 chord point.  Had we used or heads we might have tried moving that axis forward to prevent takeoffs from being the most difficult maneuver.  More information on why later if anyone is interested.

Ted

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 10:03:22 PM »
Kinda like a Control line model version of On Any Sunday

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
there were a number of such airplanes built in our area during that same approximate period.  None of them caused us to adapt such a thing in future designs.  IIRC, all of them sported rotations about roughly the 1/4 chord point.  Had we used or heads we might have tried moving that axis forward to prevent takeoffs from being the most difficult maneuver.  More information on why later if anyone is interested.

Ted
while I am not directly interested in falling into that particular rabit hole, I am fascinated by the experiments and thoughts so if you ever so desire I would LOVE to read about it,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »
Our guys did some nice flying there!  But they used cable handles!  Not a "hard point" in sight.  How did they manage?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Our guys did some nice flying there!  But they used cable handles!  Not a "hard point" in sight.  How did they manage?

Floyd

You make a very good point. Nothing at all has been learned about stunt since 1976 and everybody since then is stupid. Thanks for clearing that up.

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »

I'd like to hear more. I think it would be interesting to try (with the hinge point farther forward), if only to help understand what's happening with a conventional tail. 

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
Who is the 3rd stunt pilot starting at the 40 sec mark right after Bob Hunt ?

Link doesn't work anymore..   Video is on YouTube and titled "Wired for Excitement"

That has to be the one and only Bob Whitely who now resides in Tuscon town.

Hope it is correct.  I guess I have been at this too long.  Haven't looked up the year, but must be one of the Nationals I didn't get to.   A lot of familiar faces and some no longer with us.   Thought I spotted a young Bill Bischoff in the racing section.  Anyway, may not be the best video, but brings back a lot of memories.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:06:24 PM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
I like that they got John Facenda to take a break from narrating NFL Films to do this one.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Dwayne

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
Loved the hand crank starters  <= n~

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 05:47:35 AM »
It's a very good film,thanks for sharing. Gerber and Facenda did other fine films on aeromodelling as well. I was flying R/C at the Sparcs field on the day they were filming another one called Marvelous Miniatures. Good stuff.

Regarding the stunt sequences in the film it reveals (at least to me) that "Stunt" really hasn't changed very much thru the years. Yes, today we have electric power, the planes seem to have gotten bigger and ARFs,but at it's core it's still the same. Beautifully crafted models being flown with great precision.....PhillySkip

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here