News:

• May 29, 2024, 03:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The technology evolving in Avaiation is amazing  (Read 802 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The technology evolving in Avaiation is amazing
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
If you have not seen this, it is amazing.

Mike

Mike

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: The technology evolving in Avaiation is amazing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
I'm waiting for airliners that go into a dive, and lock out the pilot's attempt to recover. That would be the ultimate in automation.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
I'm waiting for airliners that go into a dive, and lock out the pilot's attempt to recover. That would be the ultimate in automation.

Apparently, they already have that.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
What's next cars that drive themselves? Oh wait.

Self-driving cars would be more difficult. The Garmin system is really cool, though.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »
Austin TX many self drive cars and now buses
OTR trucks are testing auto drive in a few markets

Try to keep up

Drone ships supply fuel and supplies to the Navy already

What disturbs me is NOT one talking head interviewing Zuckerburg or any other innovator of AI -----is asking HOW they intend to write the three laws to prevent SkyNet
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
I fly with the Civil Air Patrol as a Observer and Aerial Photographer.  I am not a licensed pilot but have been taught how to fly by the pilots I fly with.  If I were in the front seat and something happened to the pilot, I could probably get the Cessna on the ground although it would probably not be pretty.  What I think about is that many of our pilots have their own planes and fly their wives and children on a regular basis.  If one of them were to have a heart attack in flight, this feature could save the lives of the entire family.  I think that this is amazing technology and it will hopefully be incorporated eventually into small fixed gear aircraft like the Cessna 172 and 182 which we fly for search and rescue.

Mike 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
I fly with the Civil Air Patrol as a Observer and Aerial Photographer.  I am not a licensed pilot but have been taught how to fly by the pilots I fly with.  If I were in the front seat and something happened to the pilot, I could probably get the Cessna on the ground although it would probably not be pretty.  What I think about is that many of our pilots have their own planes and fly their wives and children on a regular basis.  If one of them were to have a heart attack in flight, this feature could save the lives of the entire family.  I think that this is amazing technology and it will hopefully be incorporated eventually into small fixed gear aircraft like the Cessna 172 and 182 which we fly for search and rescue.

Mike

Mike is correct.

With families and an older pilot, one never knows.

I taught my wife to fly every airplane we had. The learning process was easier for her with each new aircraft.

The Lake, being a high performance and complex airplane, took some doing but she did a wonderful job. Even her takeoffs and landings on water were excellent. Come to think of it, she flew the Lake as much as I did.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
It would probably encourage people to fly while drunk.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 03:03:06 PM »
It would probably encourage people to fly while drunk.

Some people may think Howard is being his usual jovial self, but this has happened with the self driving cars on the market today. People trying to "ride" drunk, or actually taking a nap on their way to their destination. Putting the technology in every airplane would be a very expensive and almost impossible endeavor.  Every airplane would have to be fly by wire, and making that a requirement would put the general aviation industry in a tailspin, so to speak. If all you want to do is get the airplane back on the ground in the event of a pilot becoming incapacitated, a ballistic parachute makes more sense, is easier to incorporate into existing designs, and be much less expensive. they have proven their worth several times in actual use so far. All this robotic car, truck stuff will seem kind of novel and innovative, but over time the short comings of not having a human operator on board and in charge will expand in areas we haven't thought of yet.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:23:55 PM »
Well, it will be interesting to see how it evolves in the future.  Any technology that makes flying safer is a good thing. 

Mike

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 07:52:17 PM »
Many years ago, I proposed that the airlines be required to have an auto-land/lockout feature. That is, if the plane was not being flown by the scheduled flight crew, that it would recognize this and divert to the nearest equipped military field. Now imagine that you are a hijacker. Forget about SWAT. You just messed up the flight schedule of a military organization and they are gonna be p@#$%ed.

With all of the gear that is being incorporated or required by the FAA in light planes today, much of the data is available for a decent autonomous function. The expense comes in when it is in charge of primary control, and not a backup system. Such would be the case for an incapacitated pilot. Redundancy and certification costs can be killer....

Dave

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
At least theres not to many cyclists & pedestrians on the runways . The car computer  things seem a bit snobish , in that respect.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The technology evolving in AVAIATION is amazing
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 12:05:41 PM »
They tried to make misspelling impossible, but we know how well that works, right? Avaiation?   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »
I didn't hear anything taking "fuel remaining/fuel management" into consideration.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The technology evolving in AVAIATION is amazing
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
They tried to make misspelling impossible, but we know how well that works, right? Avaiation?   LL~ Steve

Just noticed that Steve.  LOL.. I don't know if my mind gets ahead of my fingers or vice versa.  I really do know how to spell that wurd.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
In 1974 the F14 Tomcat had ACL Automatic carrier landing function. They would line up on the ball and turn on the ACL and the plane would land its self on the deck. So not really new.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here