News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The T-Rex is here  (Read 27992 times)

Offline Bradley Walker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
The T-Rex is here
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »
Brodak has the new T-Rex in stock.  He said they look great. y1
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: The T-Rex is here
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »

thats is great! I wish there were pictures showing the different color trims so I could pick the one I like most.

Good job Bradley!

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »
Called Brodak today to confirm my back orders, the only color they received in this first batch is Orange.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
I meant to remind everyone, the new T-Rex is covered in real Ultracote.  This is the first Brodak plane to receive this premium covering.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Walter Hicks

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »
Mine came today, VERY NICE!!!! I will weigh all parts and report back. I will be using  this plane to test, Stalker 61 LT LS, Stalker 66 RE, Discovery Retro .60 RE. and Stalker 76 SE.  Many upgrades on this one... Ultrakote is very nice. I will post weights in ARF section.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:18:58 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
You have got to check out this thread if you are a T-Rex fan.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=14349.0
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »
Gearing up to put one together (actually two 1-ARF & 1-ARC) with a Saito 62 on it's side. Will try to remember to take photos as I go.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
Gearing up to put one together (actually two 1-ARF & 1-ARC) with a Saito 62 on it's side. Will try to remember to take photos as I go.

Bitchin...
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
I bought one....I plan to modify the wing saddle....they all seem to loosen and need triplers...I think the SV/Legacy are going to have them...

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
I am posting a T-Rex build thread in the electric forum.

bob branch

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »
Quick question

Most of the ARC and ARF’s in production seem to have a pedigree of contest success.

The Vector has been a regular competition winner, the Strega has been top 5 at the Nats at least twice. The soon to come Impact is a Nats winner etc, etc.

I have never before heard of the T Rex. Has it or its designer ever won a major contest?

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »
Quick question

Most of the ARC and ARF’s in production seem to have a pedigree of contest success.

The Vector has been a regular competition winner, the Strega has been top 5 at the Nats at least twice. The soon to come Impact is a Nats winner etc, etc.

I have never before heard of the T Rex. Has it or its designer ever won a major contest?

The T-Rex is a new design, but borrows from Bob Palmers T-bird, the Nobler, Impact,Patternmaster.  I'm not sure how you could design a U/C stunt job without borrowing or duplicating something-if it flies a good pattern, people will say its just a modified Nobler, etc.  The mission (fly the pattern) dictates that the plane will look a certain way and have certain attributes, and stunt jobs will look *identical* until somebody gets a canard job to fly a decent pattern.
T-Rex was optimized to make it the most competitive it could be as an ARF, ie, anticipating indifferent communist wood selection , every effort was made to reduce structure, and take advantage of laser cutting to make a structure using as little wood as possible, compared to just copying an existing design, one which in many cases is highly dependent on using contest wood to make weight.
Steve

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »
So to re cap, this design is new and unproven,

It is a hybrid of several other designs but its designer and the design itself has never won a single contest?

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:33:31 AM »
Gee Eliott, you must be a bundle of joy at the family thanksgiving dinner!  n~

Please tell us about all of your successful designs that are now in production.  Z@@ZZZ

Just to recap: Brad is a very good competition pilot. Brad is a very good designer. Brad knows more than most about making a good competition plane. Brad's design is based on tried and true #s that have won many contests. (as others have already told you). Mr. Brodak would not have put Brad's plane into production if it was not a very good flying CLPA plane that will be competitive. There have been nothing but positive comments on this forum from competition pilots flying or watching Brad's prototypes fly the pattern. Brad's plane will do very well at contests.

IMHO: It is rude, out of line, and unnecessary comments like yours that detract from this excellent forum. If your point was to be rude, then you made it. If you have another point, then you may want to state it in a more positive, and polite manner. 

If you want to bash someone, you may want to go to another forum or at least start your own negative thread and not try to hijack this one.  .... I hope our moderator stops you from any further bashing, this is not the place for it and it sure does not help the world of CLPA in any way.

It is a hybrid of several other designs but its designer and the design itself has never won a single contest?

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 05:58:58 AM »
Regarding the "indifferent communist wood" of a previous post (I loved it, btw!) that we normally find in an arf... be prepared for a suprise. The wood on the wing sheeting of mine is 4 to 5 pound stock. You finger goes thru it just as easily as the stuff I custom order for a scratch build. Don't ask me how I know  HB~>.

bob branch

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 06:53:30 AM »
Gee...I'm in a fix now!When my T Rex gets here today and i have to explain to my wife the reason for another airplane I'm in real trouble!If the vectors were because of their proven contest record,magnum,strega,sv22,and the other 12 or so,the only thing I can come up with is It's light for health reasons!The pipe ship was quiet(good for my ears). The 4 strokes (fun factor).The rest (PTSD).Now to find out from BOB the wood is light,how do I explain the pile of balsa I bought and investing in an unproven design!What a tough hobby this is, but it sure is fun....Jim
AMA 89335

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »

That is mostly correct, even though I am not really sure what it has to do with the price of tea in China.  Pedigrees are for dogs and horses...  unless you are a snob.

Did you know the guy who invented the first Bell helicopter never flew a helicopter before?  They built it in a barn.  Now we build V-22's.

I think the T-Rex will stand on its own.  Should be coming soon to contest near you.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »
IMHO: It is rude, out of line, and unnecessary comments like yours that detract from this excellent forum. If your point was to be rude, then you made it. If you have another point, then you may want to state it in a more positive, and polite manner. 

If you want to bash someone, you may want to go to another forum or at least start your own negative thread and not try to hijack this one.  .... I hope our moderator stops you from any further bashing, this is not the place for it and it sure does not help the world of CLPA in any way.

Ah, it does not bother me.  Let the guy talk all he wants.  20 years as an engineer I have grown used to the critics.

Let me ask you all a question:

Who would you rather have design you a plane?  A guy that can make any piece of crap fly good, or a guy who needs all the help he can get? ;D  Put another way, I TRIED A LOT OF THE "PROVEN" designs, and I found many of them wanting.  I wanted something that would darn near fly itself.  As I do not have 200 flights a year to practice.

Also, many of the "proven" designs to do not translate well to ARC or ARF form.  Many of the "proven" designs were designed around "magic helium wood" and come out way too heavy in Chinese wood.  This is especially true for larger planes.  BTW, I explained all of this in my T-Rex article in CLW.

Also, I wanted a design that would be useful to everyone.  So, I dropped the 50 year old double beam Nobler nose and changed to an RC mount with a spinnerless nose.  This is best for those who want to try various new and different setups.  Most of the "proven" designs were purpose built for one drivetrain (2 stroke, 4 stroke, pipe, etc).  The T-Rex will do anything you want.  It even appears to be nearly ideal of electric.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »
Hi Rudy

Not trying to offend anyone (especially you Rudy) and I am sure Bradley has plenty of balls for any argument if one is thrown his way, he seems to say that in his post and I believe him. I hadn’t seen the design around prior to its arrival in ARF, it hasn’t won any contests which is all I wanted to know.

Pedigree might seem like the wrong word here, background, past, history, experience etc might have been better chosen non snobby words. But Bradley’s clever point is duly noted, let’s see how it performs in the hands of others.

Eliott

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
Eliott;  I am surprised you haven't gotten slapped a little harder.  I have met and known Brad for a few years and know he will probably brush your comments off to the side.  He has taken flak in the past, even from me.  He has designed a plane that looks great and performs.  Once the planes are assembled and flown will we really get to see how it goes.  You failed to notice the first modern era plane to be produced was the famous Nobler.  Have you checked to see how it has done, the ARF version not the new kit version.  I have had and still have the ARF.  Now if the T-Rex was in a smaller size I would have ordered one.  Anyway lets all have fun and not bash anyone without proof.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
Brad, mine arrived yesterday, and uponclose inspection the wood is excellent. OBTW it didn't come in orange but rather in yellow/checkerboard. I love RTC. I plan on a PA .75/pipe, but back to the plane, there are so many options, all should be happy with the plane. I think you will see a lot of these at contests next year. Brad, you done good!!!!!!!!!!! #^ #^ #^ Ron.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 11:29:09 AM »

The real challenge is bringing outa good PRODUCT at a marketable price.  Brad has posted the earlier iterations of T-Rex here, and it is plain that he has worked hard to maximize the quality and minimize the weight - all at a darned good price.  The early returns are in folks, sounds like a soild home-run so far!

While I am not anticipating buying a T-Rex, (I am building my own stuff) I APPLAUD Brad's & John Brodak's commitment & efforts to supply FIRST CLASS products for the CLPA community.  That is good for all of us

As for competitive records, I expect T-Rex's will do just fine starting yet this fall/winter...

If anyone has a personal beef with Brad they should address it to him directly and privately, and not soil this forum...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Brother Elliott, you gots to chill on that!! Big Jim Greenaway was not a big contest winner or even participator!!  But, I personally consider him to be one of the top three greatest and influential designers, (and engine men) this sport has ever produced.

If Randy Smith never won, or even entered one single contest, and still made the same kick-ass motors he known for, you better believe we would still be buying them in droves just like we do now. If the product is good-it's good, and that is all there is to it.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 02:14:49 PM »
Brother Elliott, you gots to chill on that!! Big Jim Greenaway was not a big contest winner or even participator!!  But, I personally consider him to be one of the top three greatest and influential designers, (and engine men) this sport has ever produced.

If Randy Smith never won, or even entered one single contest, and still made the same kick-ass motors he known for, you better believe we would still be buying them in droves just like we do now. If the product is good-it's good, and that is all there is to it.

As a big fan of both Big Jim and Randy, I wholeheartedly agree.  

Big Jim was especially under appreciated.  I do not think he ever got the real credit he is due simply to the fact that was NOT a winning pilot.  There is lot of evidence to show that he either invented or helped invent what we refer to as a "modern stunt ship".

Randy Smith is by FAR the most influential US stunt person in modern history.  No one else is even CLOSE to Randy.  He has more successful designs, engines and products than anyone in 30 years...  and he did all that in a NICHE market like stunt.  

In my case...everyone has to start somewhere.  How many "new" designs are being produced in CL stunt?  Heck, an Impact is considered "modern" and it is 20 years old...  WHO IS DOING ALL THIS DESIGNING OUT THERE????  Aside from Randy, Pat Johnston, Windy, Phil Granderson, John Miller, and few others I do not see a lot of original designs that are new.  Mostly, people are flying the same designs they have been flying for years.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
Hi Brad,

I have a small favor to ask. For those of us who are using clean, quiet, reliable, electric power in your very nice T-Rex, it would be helpful to know two dimensions and some weights.

1. What is the distance from the CG (center of range) to the center of mass of the engine in your prototype? ....... (the glow plug is close enough if you are using an engine with a muffler, just give me a WAG if using a tuned pipe ;-)

2. What is the weight of your engine/muffler system? (type is fine, I can look it up ;-)

3. What is the distance from the CG to the center of your fuel tank.

4. Do you use a metal or plastic tank? (difference in weight)

5. How many oz of fuel?

If I have these two distances, and weights, I can plug them into my W&B spread sheet and it will tell me exactly where to mount the electric motor and the battery to match your "wet system" CG.

Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

Regards,  H^^   
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
Rudy:
Bob Branch started a build thread on his T-Rex with AXI power over in the Electric forum too. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »
"How many "new" designs are being produced in CL stunt?  Heck, an Impact is considered "modern" and it is 20 years old...  WHO IS DOING ALL THIS DESIGNING OUT THERE????  Aside from Randy, Pat Johnston, Windy, Phil Granderson, John Miller, and few others I do not see a lot of original designs that are new.  Mostly, people are flying the same designs they have been flying for years."

But when will it win a contest?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »
That's really, really funny Howard   LL~   LL~   LL~

All that and a picture of the number 1 new design in the world with it's designer and pilot............

Jim Pollock   ;D  I can't stop grinning,  tee, hee..

Jim Pollock  Oh yeah this is 700 too..

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
"How many "new" designs are being produced in CL stunt?  Heck, an Impact is considered "modern" and it is 20 years old...  WHO IS DOING ALL THIS DESIGNING OUT THERE????  Aside from Randy, Pat Johnston, Windy, Phil Granderson, John Miller, and few others I do not see a lot of original designs that are new.  Mostly, people are flying the same designs they have been flying for years."

I admit, I forgot to mention David, who just recently designed his FIRST airplane to fly competitively (after competing for 30 years flying other people's designs).

Of course, David was winning before the new design so little could be directly attributed to the new design.

This idea that the the best designs would come from winners is retarded.  It is like saying that only Tiger Woods should be designing golf clubs.  

The guy who invented the Big Bertha driver (which basically revolutionized golf) was a pool cue designer.  I am not even sure he played golf.  

The Wright brothers were bicycle mechanics.

PS:  I am sure David didn't mind my "non champion" help developing the drivetrain for his new model.  I seem to remember Paul did not mind either.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:49:18 AM by Bradley Walker »
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »
"How many "new" designs are being produced in CL stunt?  Heck, an Impact is considered "modern" and it is 20 years old...  WHO IS DOING ALL THIS DESIGNING OUT THERE????  Aside from Randy, Pat Johnston, Windy, Phil Granderson, John Miller, and few others I do not see a lot of original designs that are new.  Mostly, people are flying the same designs they have been flying for years."

Howard, I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't Thunder Gazer derived from the Star Gazer, which is derived or at least related to a Trivial Pursuit, which would trace its lineage back to an Imitation, etc?  Clearly Fitzgerald had optimized the design family to suit his needs, yet Thunder Gazer is no more a *completely new* design than the currently being lampooned T-Rex is a completely new design.  Brad's hyperbole regarding design applies equally to everybody-stunt design is essentially stagnant and always will be, with the exception of modifying the existing template of numbers to suit new powertrains such as the PA 75 or RoJett 90, or electric.

My tinfoil hat tells me that there is a conspiracy to prevent the new T-Rex from winning anything, since mine arrived squashed thanks to the UPS conspirators.  Mine won't win anything except the "arrived in the most pieces" award.
Steve

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »
Congratulations Steve! That means your T-Rex is  the first  to win something!  n~

bob branch

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
Hi Brad,

I have a small favor to ask. For those of us who are using clean, quiet, reliable, electric power in your very nice T-Rex, it would be helpful to know two dimensions and some weights.

1. What is the distance from the CG (center of range) to the center of mass of the engine in your prototype? ....... (the glow plug is close enough if you are using an engine with a muffler, just give me a WAG if using a tuned pipe ;-)

2. What is the weight of your engine/muffler system? (type is fine, I can look it up ;-)

3. What is the distance from the CG to the center of your fuel tank.

4. Do you use a metal or plastic tank? (difference in weight)

5. How many oz of fuel?

If I have these two distances, and weights, I can plug them into my W&B spread sheet and it will tell me exactly where to mount the electric motor and the battery to match your "wet system" CG.

Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

Regards,  H^^  

I will try to post a PDF set of plans.

I use the PA 65 on a the header muffler (about 13.5 oz), a Sullivan 6 oz tank all the way back against the firewall, and 4.5 oz of fuel.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »
Frankly, Brad has done a great job with his design. It should prove itself as a great design during this next season. I especially like the simplicity involved with modifications in the power train.  TLAR in the extreem, and proven numbers will almost always get you there.

For example, The Legacywas designed based on a previous design, over the phone, between the designer and the draftsman. Many changes were incorporated between the Buccaneer and the new design. New airfoil, and moments, as well as relationships between flaps, stab, and elevators. It went direct to kit, before even one had been built. It's, at the least, proven a decent stunter, as will Brad's T'Rex be.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
Capt. Fitzgerald would be the guy to tell you about the Thundergazer.  From what I've heard, there is quite a bit of difference between it and the yeller plane he had been flying.    He had the Landres circle in mind when he made the Thundergazer.  It worked.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
Capt. Fitzgerald would be the guy to tell you about the Thundergazer.  From what I've heard, there is quite a bit of difference between it and the yeller plane he had been flying.    He had the Landres circle in mind when he made the Thundergazer.  It worked.  

It appears to be more Granderson influence than anything...  I agree with what David is doing.  I think it is the way to go.

I have a T-Rex 600 on the way.  He HE HE!!!
-George Bernard Shaw

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
Thanks, Brad.  Your agreement will give Dave the self-confidence he needs.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »
I have a T-Rex 600 on the way.  He HE HE!!!

I guess we can't have enough of an unproven design.  LL~

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »

David was winning before the new design so little could be directly attributed to his new design.

This idea that the the best designs would come from winners is retarded.  

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Hi Brad,

This is all the info I need. When my T-Rex arrives I can get the other measurements from the actual plane. If you had to place the tank at the far rear, I am worried that I will have to cut into the LE of the wing to get the 5S battery far enough back for a proper CG. The other alternative is to shorten the nose a little? We will know very soon. ;-)

Thanks for your reply:

"I will try to post a PDF set of plans.

I use the PA 65 on a the header muffler (about 13.5 oz), a Sullivan 6 oz tank all the way back against
       the firewall, and 4.5 oz of fuel"

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »
Eliott, you need to locate and read the piece Brad wrote on the design of the T-Rex and while you are at it read Fitzgerald's piece on the design of his ship. They both had a specific goal and put allot of knowledge and effort into achieving that goal.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »
Eliott, you need to locate and read the piece Brad wrote on the design of the T-Rex and while you are at it read Fitzgerald's piece on the design of his ship. They both had a specific goal and put allot of knowledge and effort into achieving that goal.

I haven't read Davids piece, do you know where I can get a copy.

"The idea that the best designs come from winners is retarded"
Bradley Walker

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »
I haven't read Davids piece, do you know where I can get a copy.

"The idea that the best designs come from winners is retarded"
Bradley Walker
Let it go Eliot
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »
David's Thundergazer is an outstanding stunt ship.  I should know I watched it beat me this year in the Top5 at the nats.  Correct me if I am wrong but i am pretty sure I read where he took the geo bolt airfoil, thinner than the others he was using yet still blunted along the LE, and worked it up to be 630 or so square inches.  Then matched up an airfoiled stab and elevator and pretty much inside the envelope numbers for tail moment and nose moment.  The wing (in my opinion), along with the loafing large motor and very good trimming skills, was key to getting that rig to fly very solid in the winds in France and it paid off.  He also incorporated the take apart design from the Impact article that PW developed.   Now where else have I seen that wing really perform wonders........hmmmmmm, OH YEAH IN MY PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HAHAHAHAAHHA!! I just a tad more span and larger flaps, couple that with a larger stab to match % wise and POW POW you have another monster on your hands.  David's plane was very specific in its design and its task, winning, and completed it very well.  

How many of you, who buy arfs,  would have bought one without it ever being flown in a contest?  

Brad's design was different in many ways.  You see, having been exposed to many planes built from China and the process it takes to complete a final design I can tell you now large planes have the tendency to get heavy fast.  Just check out a Score and you will see what I mean.  I remember looking over the first Saturn to come over and it was nice and well built but it stood no chance of being a competitive weight.  While the little G Nobler was coming in at a perfect weight.  hmmmmmm.  Well, bigger planes just weigh more and it goes up exponentially.  The Impact will be light.  They have to be careful in wood selection and several changes to their construction methods were made along the way insure this.  Brad has taken it to the next level.  He looked around many different areas of modeling and specifically in stunt and came up with his OWN design that is not only different in appearance but VASTLY different in construction methods as well.  It is not a single drive train specific design either.  It has every engine choice in mind.  Thus leaving it open to owner as to what road he wants to take.  Not only that once you go one route you are not committed to that route forever.  You can make power train changes along the way.  It makes no difference.  But I dont think this is the real design key that makes it different.  It is my personal opinion that coming up with a design method that fits the current building supplies available to the manufacturer while still yielding a solid light weight competent stunt plane is the REAL design element here that is NEW.  This was, I believe, one of the major tasks this model was designed to complete.  And I feel it has done just that.  This has been done in other facets of modeling and now it has been brought to CLPA.  This can only help bring more and more competitive designs to the market while keeping the affordable.  Unlike the Sharks and Akrobats the more these are refined and designed and more designs offered the more affordable they become.  Check one out for yourself before you pass judgment.

I have seen one fly several times.  I think it flew great, light on the lines, no funny wiggles or what looked to be trim issues anywhere.  I think I could kick some ass with one.  

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »
   I am with Elliot on this one . He asked a very appropriate question and everybody had a jump in on him . I never heard of this plane either . Although very cool looking one would have to ask , it would seam to me as well how did it do at competitions ? Is that so wrong ? It looks like a winner to me but if I had to chose I would pick the Thunder Gazer hands down over the T Rex until proved different . Is choosing a winning design is one thing to consider when picking a plane to build ? Absolutely !

Am I totally thrilled that we have the T Rex to choose for that big engine I have sitting in the garage ? Heck Yeah ! What dose the T Rex tip the scales at ?  Like Doug said big planes get fat quick !  Like to know what the weight is ready to fly . Did anybody put theirs on a scale yet ?
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 09:10:55 PM »
Hi Rudy:

You actually have a W&B program that will tell you where to place the battery and other components to get the same CG as the wet version? I am struggling with that issue doing a China Clipper (Claus Maikis design) from the ground up as an electric. I would be very interested in learning about this, so I can build a battery mounting system that  puts the battery in the correct location to achieve the design CG. We don't really have much choice about where to mount the motor, unless we decide to shorten the nose, which is certainly legitimate to achieve balance without adding ballast.

That said, we need to remember that the design CG is a compromise to take into account the rear-shifting CG as 6 oz of fuel burns off during the flight. Electric CG stays put. Let me know if your program can be shared.

I presume you have checked out the E-Rex thread in the Amp'd Up section?

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
  I am with Elliot on this one . He asked a very appropriate question and everybody had a jump in on him . I never heard of this plane either . Although very cool looking one would have to ask , it would seam to me as well how did it do at competitions ? Is that so wrong ? It looks like a winner to me but if I had to chose I would pick the Thunder Gazer hands down over the T Rex until proved different . Is choosing a winning design is one thing to consider when picking a plane to build ? Absolutely !

Well, when the ARF Thunder Gazer arrives on the shipping container from China, you can try it out hands down!
Elliot got jumped on not because he asked questions, but because his tone was pre-loaded to "lets trash something we have not seen and know nothing about" from the get go.  Taking a quote from Brad out of context in Elliot's last post pretty much proves the point that he was out to trash Brad and the airplane Brad designed, not educate himself about it.
Steve

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
First of all my hats off to brad for an exceptional airplane!It's the lightest most thought out design arf iv'e seen .This is not from an assumption,a picture, but from the actual airplane setting here by me.Mine was the other one not smashed with Steves order.It sat in the box until 6 o"clock tonight.It's 12 now and if I had the extra hinges for the stab (short a few) it would be ready to go.Put it togeather setting in my den in my lazyboy watching tv .The biggest problem Iv'e had is which engine to put in it saito 62,pa 65, or tiger 51.Four bolts and it can be anyone of them.....I don't like orange airplanes in paticular but my wife thinks it pretty!She thinks my candy fade out strega is ugly. go figure.....Anyway this thing will get flown very shortly and I'll find out if this is a good weapon for my intermediate flying.More to come shortly....Jim
AMA 89335

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
Geez
Whats wrong with the T-Rex it's a new plane.  Are we supposed to fly ringmasters forever.? ???
I like change.  And i think Brad did a great job.  Lets all get along....
We should support are designers.    Bryan
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
Yeah i guess some feelings got stepped on there .  Didn't someone say the Impact is in the works ? Ya never know about the thunder geezer . Point was that if choosing a model what would be your criteria. Contest results . I would not be surprised if Elliot has friends in high places and is a very nice guy.  I would like to know more my self about the T Rex You guys. Thanks  

Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »
Hi Mike,

I just wrote you a post with a very long ans. but when I tried to send it with my SS attached the forum system vaporized my whole post. I learned, next time I will send it in a separate post. ;-)

This is not any criticism of the forum, I know there are limits to what can be sent, and in which format. I guess It just did not like my Excel SS! ;-)

I will send it to you via email.

Yes, I have been following the excellent T-Rex thread on the E forum.

I am a very slow builder (even on ARCs) but I will try to have it ready for the GS-Champs in two weeks. My Plentenberg motor and FAI ESC is waiting for their new ride! :-)

Regards, 

Hi Rudy:

You actually have a W&B program that will tell you where to place the battery and other components to get the same CG as the wet version? I am struggling with that issue doing a China Clipper (Claus Maikis design) from the ground up as an electric. I would be very interested in learning about this, so I can build a battery mounting system that  puts the battery in the correct location to achieve the design CG. We don't really have much choice about where to mount the motor, unless we decide to shorten the nose, which is certainly legitimate to achieve balance without adding ballast.

That said, we need to remember that the design CG is a compromise to take into account the rear-shifting CG as 6 oz of fuel burns off during the flight. Electric CG stays put. Let me know if your program can be shared.

I presume you have checked out the E-Rex thread in the Amp'd Up section?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:01:57 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here