News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The “Secret Contest” that isn’t one.  (Read 2412 times)

Online BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
The “Secret Contest” that isn’t one.
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
I thought it prudent to mention that Uncle Jimby is off running another one of his “Totally Awesome” stunt Clinics.

He is calling it the “2nd Annual Chumley Memorial Stunt Clinic”

If you attend you could;

- Learn how to beat Dave Fitzgerald
- Get told to quit meddling with your engine by Brett Buck
- Get your new world beater looked over by the inscrutable and legendary Mr Fancher

Well it’s all here, so here’s the skinny;

It’s a two day “invitee only” event on June 23-24, 2018 at the Woodland Davis Aeromodelers flying site in Davis, (Sunny) California. You are officially an “invitee” (unless your last name is Fernadez or Rule)

As you are likely one of the invitee’s please tell Uncle Jimby if you are going to show.

Oh  - Plus there’s free hot dogs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:24:10 PM by Bobs your Uncle »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: The “Secret Contest” that isn’t one.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
I thought it prudent to mention that Uncle Jimby is off running another one of his “Totally Awesome” stunt Clinics.

He is calling it the “2nd Annual Chumley Memorial Stunt Clinic”

If you attend you could;

- Learn how to beat Dave Fitzgerald
- Get told to quit meddling with your engine by Brett Buck
- Get your new world beater looked over by the inscrutable and legendary Mr Fancher

Well it’s all here, so here’s the skinny;

It’s a two day “invitee only” event on June 23-24, 2018 at the Woodland Davis Aeromodelers flying site in Davis, (Sunny) California. You are officially an “invitee” (unless your last name is Fernadez or Rule)

As you are likely one of the invitee’s please tell Uncle Jimby if you are going to show.

Oh  - Plus there’s free hot dogs.

I would strongly suggest coming to this if at all possible, it's not just for the glittering array of celebrities, Saturday is a trim day and that appears to be what almost everyone needs. Bring EVERYTHING you need to trim models, there's no "I will take it home and fix it later" stuff allowed.

Brett

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Can  I ship my plane out there with a return box? Lol it's been raining in jersey for 3 months and when its not we have 15-20 mph wind. I have a dozen flight with none on my big Dawg.

Tom
AMA 13001

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
    I would strongly suggest coming to this if at all possible, it's not just for the glittering array of celebrities, Saturday is a trim day and that appears to be what almost everyone needs. Bring EVERYTHING you need to trim models, there's no "I will take it home and fix it later" stuff allowed.

Brett

But Brett, my lathe won't fit into my Camry!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »
But Brett, my lathe won't fit into my Camry!

Ill bring a Lathe for you.

Now. .  . no more excuses, Jimby and the “celebrities” will see you at 8:00 am sharp.

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:31:05 PM »
And I will bring a Dremel tool with assorted bits for fixing the problems with FP20 and LA46 engines.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
And I will bring a Dremel tool with assorted bits for fixing the problems with FP20 and LA46 engines.

None of this high-falutin motorized crap, it's a rat-tail file and a yardstick for me. Bunch of eggheads.

Zona Saws, and lots of glue, might be appropriate, however. David, Ted, and I have a pretty good heritage of making design modifications in the field. Check out David's 1997 NATs winner some time, and you will see 4-5 slots we cut in the rudder/fin with a zona saw out in the middle of a field in the blazing NAPA sun. The ARF Strega really was a coarse wood rasp, because whatever hardwood they use for the LE is really tough stuff!

One of the things that can absolutely cripple these sorts of efforts it the "I'll just build another one" phenomenon, where people want to go try to build an entire new airplane rather than to just fix the one they have, right then and there. Everyone should be prepared to change whatever might be changed, right now, before your next flight, because we don't have these events often enough to take it home and fix it in between sessions

Brett

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Hey Larry, you hear that?! They are going to make "field" adjustments to peoples planes!

For those of you who don't know, Larry Fernandez is an "EXPERT" at craving on someones plane with an X-acto knife at the field. I've actually seen him have great success with this method!  y1

I'll be there with my "sharp" pocket knife..............(but, I'm not an esspurt)

Jerry

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »
...and remember that there is BLING for the lucky dude or dudette that improves the most (determined by a secret cabal of stunt masters and ME.  AND, don't forget...FREE HOTDOGS!!!   Yeah Dubs!!!!

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
Seriously stuntnicks.  These will be two days that will change your stunt prospects for the better. Join us.

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
AND EVEN MORE IMPORTANT...  In the words of Bruce Perry:  "Stunt, it's not life or death, it's much more important than that!

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »
Hey Larry, you hear that?! They are going to make "field" adjustments to peoples planes!

For those of you who don't know, Larry Fernandez is an "EXPERT" at craving on someones plane with an X-acto knife at the field. I've actually seen him have great success with this method!  y1

I'll be there with my "sharp" pocket knife..............(but, I'm not an esspurt)

Jerry

Remember when Elliot brought his Teosaki out to Gilroy the first time?
The plane was all over the sky and wouldn’t fly straight and level for the life of him.
I cut off half of the width of the elevator and shortened the elevator deflection from 60 degrees to
to 30.
The whole time Elliot’s crying, “Now it’s not gonna turn!!!”
He went home a happy man that day

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
You guys have a great idea, providing trim advice.  Sure saves a lot of experimentation.  I wish this kind of "field forum" would happen closer to me.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
You guys have a great idea, providing trim advice.  Sure saves a lot of experimentation.  I wish this kind of "field forum" would happen closer to me.

This is the flyer and to Floyd "get someone to give you a ride down here, its not so far . . ."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:24:23 PM by Bobs your Uncle »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:07 PM »
Sure would like to make this one.  But 26 hours is a little far at this time...
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:19 PM »
Weather forecast for Saturday at Davis is a delightful 106 degrees, with a balmy 98 forecast for Sunday. This means broad brimmed hats, effective sunscreen, LOTS of water, and stay out of the sun as much as possible. And be extra nice to our hosts and experts who are pretty much stuck with being out in the sun all day until we are done. As a skin cancer survivor (so far) this is a real issue and needs to be taken seriously. We all know this, living in a hot semi-desert, but it bears repeating.

On the plus side the hot dogs will cook themselves. Just open the package and wait a minute or two.

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
Weather forecast for Saturday at Davis is a delightful 106 degrees, with a balmy 98 forecast for Sunday. This means broad brimmed hats, effective sunscreen, LOTS of water, and stay out of the sun as much as possible. And be extra nice to our hosts and experts who are pretty much stuck with being out in the sun all day until we are done. As a skin cancer survivor (so far) this is a real issue and needs to be taken seriously. We all know this, living in a hot semi-desert, but it bears repeating.

On the plus side the hot dogs will cook themselves. Just open the package and wait a minute or two.

Mike:  Have you RSVP'd ?   Hope you're coming

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »
Sure would like to make this one.  But 26 hours is a little far at this time...

Just beam yourself over, Scottie.  Talk to Matt.  He's got Federation fonts on his bird...probably has a transporter, too.  We have lot's of spare VG's.  Seriously, it would be great if you came.

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 05:28:11 PM »
Hi Jim: Yes, just replied on your aol.com address.

Mike

Online BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
Only 37 Hours to go . .  .

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:27 AM »
Just want to give a big Thank You to Jim Aron, Brett Buck, Ted Fancher, and Dave Fitzgerald  for their time and effort During the Chumley Memorial Stunt Clinic. The weather did not cooperate but many good things still took place. I want to especially thank Brett for his assessment of the alignment issues on the control surfaces of my SV-11. Also Thank you for filling in the blanks on my diagrams of the control mechanisms I am putting into current project.  Quite a number of people showed despite the predicted weather. I also would like to get contact info for Scott Dinger to send him funds to cover part of the Pizza cost that he incurred on Sat.  I look forward to having another one of these "tune up"gatherings. A large amount of information was presented to the flyers from upper echelon of the CL world , Very valuable . Thanks again to Jim, Brett, Ted, and Dave.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »
Just want to give a big Thank You to Jim Aron, Brett Buck, Ted Fancher, and Dave Fitzgerald  for their time and effort During the Chumley Memorial Stunt Clinic. The weather did not cooperate but many good things still took place. I want to especially thank Brett for his assessment of the alignment issues on the control surfaces of my SV-11. Also Thank you for filling in the blanks on my diagrams of the control mechanisms I am putting into current project.  Quite a number of people showed despite the predicted weather. I also would like to get contact info for Scott Dinger to send him funds to cover part of the Pizza cost that he incurred on Sat.  I look forward to having another one of these "tune up"gatherings. A large amount of information was presented to the flyers from upper echelon of the CL world , Very valuable . Thanks again to Jim, Brett, Ted, and Dave.

You're welcome, Gordon.  Plans are to continue this event.  It should be noted that Sunday was stunt heaven and Brett and Dave flew everyone's airplanes all day and continued the progress we started on Saturday.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »
This is my favorite must READ event...too far away but some day visiting sister in Gilroy I will come observe and have fun

Looking forward to Brett's assessment, observations and recommendations
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 01:48:49 PM »
Just want to give a big Thank You to Jim Aron, Brett Buck, Ted Fancher, and Dave Fitzgerald...

Ditto, even though I couldn't make it.  Hopefully you'll still be putting them on when I can.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here