News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The little engine that could...  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The little engine that could...
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »
During my preparation for VSC 19 as most of you know I built an RSM Stuka Stunt which was completed on time and flew at VSC.  Several times I was asked what engine I used, my reply was a box stock Fox .35 and except for the RSM Supertiger NVA that is completely true.  What I never told anybody except Larry Renger was why I decided to use this particular engine.

The Fox engine in the Stuka Stunt was purchased about 10 years ago and was first installed in a Brodak Nobler that I built.  In fact the engine still as a smudge of green paint from the Nobler.  This plane had at the most about five flights when the engine quit at the top of a wing over and the plane was destroyed.  Later I tried to use it on a profile Flite Streak, which was when I discovered the infamous Fox burp that the 35 is famous for.  At this point I put the engine in a plastic baggie and never wanted to see it again.

Fast forward to present time and I am looking at the plans for the Stuka Stunt and low and behold it says that Don Stills used both a Fox 29 and 35 in his planes.  So I go to my box of engines and pull out this near new 10 year Fox 35 and decided to give it one more chance.  The whole time Larry Renger is telling me “Andy I have a brand new L&B Fox 35 you can use for VSC” but I keep resisting the temptation and Larry it was not easy.  I had learned a few things since my first attempts to use this engine:
1. Don’t mount is side ways without modifications to the bypass port or it will burp.
2. Give it a steady diet of fuel with lots of castor oil.
3.  Try enough props to find the one the engine likes best.

Well to my complete amazement the little engine that couldn't became the little engine that could.  I have learned that it love nitro, and is quite happy with 15% but will run quite well at sea level on 5%.  It likes 28% castor but will run quite well with 25% castor and 3% syn. oil.  Finally it loves the Zinger 11 x 5 wood prop, but will run quite well on a Master Airscrew 10x6 wood prop.  I have also learned to trust that when I launch at 8500 RPM that it will do that 4-2-4 thing that everybody told me about.  Most importantly I have learned to trust this engine through the entire pattern.  I have come full circle with this Fox 35 from wanting to bury it in a land fill to loving the way pulls my Stuka Stunt through the pattern.  Now if I could just get those bottoms a little close to the ground.....Oh well that’s another story.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: The little engine that could...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »
When I designed my Arctic Fox I put a GMA fox 35 in It which ran really good so I took it out of the plane to save it and put a L&J Fox in it and it flamed out on me in the overheads. I gave the fox away but still have the GMA. Basically the Fox is a good engine but it used to blow a lot of head gaskets but they fixed that with the squish band. We used to put McCoy needle valves in them until they came out with the Tigre needle valve. Until you run them a while you will not know their ideosinckrecies. Over the years I have tossed some of these engins in the garbage. I also had some really good ones. Breakin is important!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
Andy;  I am so glad you had a good time at VSC 19.  Also what I seen of your pattern was not that bad.  You just need more flying time on the airplane to get used to it.

Leo;  Next time don't throw your engines in the trash, send them to me.  I have several engines that people did not like for some reason or the other that work great for what I use them for.   

Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 11:04:19 AM »
Andy;

I'm happy you didn't throw tht "FOX .35" away. It will grow on you and everyting will get better.  It's like seeing an old friend after a long absense, you and that engine have some catching up to do. According to what you have said and now "Doc" Holiday has said, you didn't do all that bad. Congratulations.

LEO   I SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, I GOT A VERY LARGE TRASH BARREL
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:22:03 AM »
Doc/Gruby
Thanks for your comments, I have thinking about this for a few days now.  I had some really bad things to say about Fox for many years only to be shown the errors of my ways.  I was quite pleased with the way the Stuka flew at VSC and in no small part to the way the Fox 35 performed.  Doc, you are a real gentleman I enjoyed our talks and I really appreciated you introducing me to Riley Wooten.  Gruby, I look forward to the day we meet until then we are internet buddies. :)
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 12:42:56 PM »
Nice story.  Thanks.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »
Andy
I think you will have a lot of good times with that Fox!!  You have discovered why they were so popular back in the day.  They do not have  lot of power, but in the right plane are just right!!
See you in Tucson next year!!!
Later
Jim

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »
The Stuka Stunt is just about the ideal size for a Fox 35, since it builds quite light.  Even the Nobler tends to come in a bit heavy for the Fox.  The plane may fly best at 45 oz,  but to me it appears that that is right on the edge of what a Fox can handle.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 04:09:56 PM »
I still don't understand why people keep bad mouthing the Fox 35 Stunt.  It was the engine at one time.  You just had to break it in properly and try different props for the airplane it was in.  If you look at the original plans of the Stuka Stunt you will see he shows a 9-6 prop.   Also the original SS showed a Fox 29.  I guess all these imported engines have people spoiled.  I still claim if you learn to run a Fox you can run anything.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here