News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Last Raider...  (Read 518 times)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
The Last Raider...
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
 Just heard today that Dick Cole passed away yesterday. Dick was Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot and the last surviving member of the "Doolittle Raiders". I was fortunate enough and honored to be able to meet him at the 2017 EAA Convention during a 75th Anniversary commemoration of the Tokyo raid. Dick was back at Oshkosh in 2018 as the Yankee Air Museum paid tribute with WWII reenactors painting on the "Hairless Joe" nose art on their freshly repainted C-47, replicating an airplane Dick once flew.

Dick lived to 103 years, an incredible man with an incredible history, like so many from the Greatest Generation. R.I.P. Dick, we owe you everything.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:35:13 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
Re: The Last Raider...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
Awesome you got to meet him, may he rest in peace

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
   It is often said, but this time it really is, the end of a era. I've known many a WW-2 vet, and many other veterans, but still can't imagine what it took for those guys to volunteer for that mission. Even though we sure could use them right now, I'm afraid we shall never see the likes of them again. For those of you youngun's out there that really don't know too much about the Doolittle Raid, get a copy of the movie or the book, "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo."  I have both and and they'll get watched and read again.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
 Studying these photos again I just remembered something. If you're able to zoom in on the Yankee Air Museum sign and get a good look at the wartime photo at the far left, the 2018 OSH group photo was informally staged and taken as a recreation of that moment. Dick Cole is at the front left in each photo. It was an honor and very humbling to relive that moment in person at Oshkosh.

More details here...

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/yankee-air-museums-c-47-becomes-hairless-joe.html
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
The greatest generation.
Rest In Peace Mr. Cole, this American thanks you for your service, courage and patriotism

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:14:33 AM by Larry Fernandez »

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »

Those guy's and gal's did a GREAT job, may we always remember their service, and thank God for that service...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
Sad to hear, but Thanks for the update Wayne.  My family and I had several opportunities to chat with this great American, and I got an autographed photo of him with my wife.

Funny note: Dick told us he always tried to be in the cockpit 20 minutes before the scheduled time; he said his greatest fear was having Doolittle chew him out for being late!

Rest in Peace, and Thanks for Your Service Richard!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here