News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Last Flight  (Read 825 times)

Offline John Carrodus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The Last Flight
« on: February 05, 2024, 03:59:24 AM »
 For all recently departed control liners, whoever and wherever they were.

THE LAST FLIGHT

On the field a lone figure crouches
                                                  A sudden burp and smoke she belches
                                              The man strides out and picks up his handle
                                               Drawn to this place like a moth to a candle
                                                   This man's centre will no longer hold
                                                  Time and space like a blanket will fold
                                                      He knows this will be his last lap
                                                    Around him his entire life will wrap
                                                     This will be his last stunt pattern
                                                              But no one will clap
                                                   With one small leap he leaves this coil
                                                       Like a faithful dog plied with oil
                                                    So goes his ship climbing to the stars
                                                  Those who knew him will bare the scars
                                                    Those who knew him memories fade
                                                 They broke the mould when he was made

Jonathan Carrodus

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
Re: The Last Flight
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 04:51:41 AM »
John,
       That is very classy. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Dick Byron

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 05:58:14 AM »
Really nice John!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 06:43:15 AM »
I have flown with people (RC) who announced it was their last flight many times.   Some after that flight gave their stuff away at that time and some continued to build until the final day.   One took everyone that was there to lunch and gave them his stuff.  He said his day was probably less than a week away.  He was right.  I know a modeler that died going out to pick up their plane after a flight; having sudden cardiac arrest. That one is one a lot of guys said is the way to go.  Really, no suffering.  By the time someone got to him he was barely able to speak and had passed by the time rescue got there.   

In a way, I am surprised this doesn't happen more given the average age of people in the 2 clubs I am in.  The average has to be in the high 60s.    Some, no matter their condition come to the field or what mobility devices are needed; wheel chair, crutches. electric wheel chair or oxygen tank.   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 12:10:16 PM »
I am jealous of you guys that have a way with words.  I guess that is why no one offers to help me with planes ready to fly by them.  Yes the engines may be a little stiff but a few drops of fuel and good battery with plug and they are ready to go.  So far I have seen a video of a plane that gor me a few awards being flown by the person I gave it to.  Of course the wife asked what he paid for it and I said it was free as long as he flies it.  He can't sell it as if h gets tired of it he can give it to some body.   The family won't even let me drive anywhere except the laundry mat.  But there are so many that have gone on before me in which they had made there last flite, club meeting or contest.  Thaks again for the words that were written. D>K H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 01:33:35 PM »
I hope it is a while before I remember my last flight.  I am looking forward to the next one tomorrow.  My second love was Tennis and I do remember my last match.  Mostly because my opponent cheated, and I lost.  I was so angry I quit the club and I still miss it.  Gave my rackets to my daughter almost 20 years ago.  She surprised me one day with a video of my grandson taking a tennis lesson with My Racket! (it was one of the early top line composites and light enough for a 10 year old).

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 09:27:10 PM »
You telling us he cheated more than you did?  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 09:52:22 PM »
You telling us he cheated more than you did?  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
No way  n1  It was a bit more dramatic than the old in and out.  I was worn out and exhausted, nearly beaten by a hacker.  When I sat down and started putting my rackets away - he changed the score.  Only witness was his girlfriend.  I just left, I heard he claimed a forfeit and I never played again.  Still don't know why.  There is a first and last time for everything and we rarely know when it has happened.

One thing I hope I never have to remember is my last flight.

Ken 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:26:30 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 02:58:39 AM »
Thank you, Jonathan
Peter Germann

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 11:19:45 AM »
Thanks guys. My pleasure. H^^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 11:33:44 AM »
No way  n1  It was a bit more dramatic than the old in and out.  I was worn out and exhausted, nearly beaten by a hacker.  When I sat down and started putting my rackets away - he changed the score.  Only witness was his girlfriend.  I just left, I heard he claimed a forfeit and I never played again.  Still don't know why.  There is a first and last time for everything and we rarely know when it has happened.

Ken

After retirement I played in a couple of senior citizen golf leagues.  Those old guys cheated like crazy.  They seemed to remember scores they got 40 years in the past.  I wasn't playing for money or prizes, so I just shook my head and quietly laughed about. Both courses were sold to developers who just wanted the land.  That bothered me more than hitting a 10 and carding a 6.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here