News:

• June 08, 2024, 01:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The corner conversation...  (Read 8108 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: The corner conversation...
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
Had that happen many times, Paul; now I type my responses in a Word program, then copy and paste them here (at least the long ones I do...). If something happens, you can just recopy and paste again.

Later - Bob

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Of course I have some opinions here.

"We can argue for weeks about what radius they CAN do, or the "merits" of the K factor, but that will change NOTHING.

The problem is that in international competition NOW, tight corners score. PERIOD.  As has been pointed out, if you can't do tight corners on all the high K maneuvers, you will not score well.

How do we fix this??

I think the only way is for US judges to start recognizing tighter corners and scoring them accordingly. Yes, one has to decide how to judge a perfectly square loop with soft corners versus the same shape but with tighter corners, and then of course a perfect geometry with tight corners but with a slight hop on one corner.

If this paradigm shift doesn't happen, how will we ever get pilots to fly tight corners and expect to compete at the worlds.

We have a few youngsters coming up that still have time to train themselves to do tighter corners. Again, if their tighter corners are not rewarded (as the rules dictate) then they will never develop the muscles and reflexes for future use.

So, if I am all wet, where am I wrong on this?"

I for one do not believe you are "all wet" or "wrong"!  I think your summation above is absolutely correct at least for this time period in Stunt if we wish to be competitive in International Competition.

We can argue all day about who's right and who's wrong but that's not going to change the rules or perceptions of the way the maneuvers should be flown.  The international rules and perceptions are put in place by an overwhelming majority of people who do not fly by American standards and rules and they are not going to change them for our benefit.  Nor, probably, should they.  If you wish to play European "Foot ball" you will look pretty silly trying to use "American Football" rules!

I think any other approach is probably nothing more than a "rationalization" and doomed to failure!

If you play their game use their rules or simply don't send a team!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
Had that happen many times, Paul; now I type my responses in a Word program, then copy and paste them here (at least the long ones I do...). If something happens, you can just recopy and paste again.

Later - Bob

Yeah, It's happened several times to me also!   Darned discouraging!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
We can argue all day about who's right and who's wrong but that's not going to change the rules or perceptions of the way the maneuvers should be flown.  The international rules and perceptions are put in place by an overwhelming majority of people who do not fly by American standards and rules and they are not going to change them for our benefit.  Nor, probably, should they.  If you wish to play European "Foot ball" you will look pretty silly trying to use "American Football" rules!

I think any other approach is probably nothing more than a "rationalization" and doomed to failure!

If you play their game use their rules or simply don't send a team!

Who said anything about changing the FAI rules or how they judge?  I grant Paul's point in that regard and I don't think anyone should try to "adjust" the FAI rules to meet the pilots expectations any more than we should in AMA. Even if we think they are doing it slightly wrong, it's far better than it was before when it was egregiously and blatantly wrong. Frustration with the WC didn't start 3 days ago.

I would however point out that the rules situation is definitely one-sided and asymmetrical, and intended to be. We are certainly part of the world (in stunt, about half the world, more or less) that the FAI represents and we have every right to be represented (actually should be represented far more than one/country, if it was intended to be representative). The world is not represented, nor intended to be, in the AMA. In any case, I see nowhere in this where anyone thinks or suggests that FAI rule changes are the answer. We have the same influence over the judges we always have, i.e. demonstrate superior approaches and *make them* recognize it. The judges are intellectually honest in the FAI, just like in the AMA.

It's the rest of it I would like to at least discuss before we decide to change everything we have just to finish a bit higher at the WC, which appears to be what is being suggested. Particularly in reaction to one contest result where it is far from clear that cornering was the only issue in play.

I am very surprised by the reaction, Randy, you appear to be accusing me and Derek, at least, of making excuses ex post facto. Don't forget that Derek and I, among others, made conscious decisions in this situation long before the fact. We didn't wait to see how it turned out and then say "screw it, we didn't care anyway" - I said "screw it" something like 5 years ago. 

I certainly and categorically refuse to undermine or bad-mouth the effort the team put out, which was extraordinary, or call it some sort of failure in order to promote some sort of a change, just to make myself feel better about the results.

I might have a better perspective on it than some others, having *lost* more contests (frequently to acknowledged masters, many of whom I face every damn time)  than most people have participated in. I can assure you that it pisses me off just as much as anyone else, but you haven't heard me making any excuses for it. Any time anyone doesn't like how it turned out, there is only one place to look for the person responsible - the mirror. No one has to make an excuse for it, justify it to anyone else, or apologize. I apply that more to myself than anyone else. Learn more and do better next time.

Paul has a good point about cornering, there are some ideas on how to improve, and if Paul says something, it is worth listening to.  I am not willing to start assigning ulterior motives to anyone, and I sure don't appreciate comments that do the same to me. I made my point above, I think it is clear.

Brett

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »
I am glad to see this thread taking a more positive and constructive tone.  I have advocated numerous times for returning to the 5' radius rule knowing all along that it cannot be done by today's planes or for that matter "practically" by the ships of any era.  What I realize now is that what I really meant is that we need an objective standard.  Without a standard the Judge cannot deduct for errors or award for excellence...but wait, according to the judges guide there is no award for excellence other than not getting a deduction. 

As I have mentally debated this with myself since yesterday, the dilemma that led Brett to come up with the "tight" definition became clear.  It is not the size of the corner that matters, it is whether or not it smoothly connects the flats and "tight" is exactly what it should be.  How tight doesn't really matter.

Since these positions contradict each other it appears we can do one of three things.  1. Change back to a subjective scoring system (which is not going to happen and seriously, don't we really do that anyway). 2. Redefine "tight" which would be totally pointless. 3. Do not change anything and let F2B take it's own path for those that want and have the ability to participate.  My vote in a near 180 is for #3.

At one point I thought PAMPA would grow into the role of selecting and preparing the team, I was wrong.  Quite honestly, we need a sponsor and a mechanism to draw from the incredible talent pool of past champions to groom a team without putting too much of a burden on them.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Dam software here. I typed out anoyher long response and it disappeared...gone...no trace. 

I will try to replicate.

Happens to me frequently, usually, back-arrow, select all, copy, will retrieve it. I had to do that with one of those above. It seems to have something to do with how long the window is open, more than the size.

Brett

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »
I am glad to see this thread taking a more positive and constructive tone.  I have advocated numerous times for returning to the 5' radius rule knowing all along that it cannot be done by today's planes or for that matter "practically" by the ships of any era.  What I realize now is that what I really meant is that we need an objective standard.  Without a standard the Judge cannot deduct for errors or award for excellence...but wait, according to the judges guide there is no award for excellence other than not getting a deduction. 

As I have mentally debated this with myself since yesterday, the dilemma that led Brett to come up with the "tight" definition became clear.  It is not the size of the corner that matters, it is whether or not it smoothly connects the flats and "tight" is exactly what it should be.  How tight doesn't really matter.

Since these positions contradict each other it appears we can do one of three things.  1. Change back to a subjective scoring system (which is not going to happen and seriously, don't we really do that anyway). 2. Redefine "tight" which would be totally pointless. 3. Do not change anything and let F2B take it's own path for those that want and have the ability to participate.  My vote in a near 180 is for #3.

At one point I thought PAMPA would grow into the role of selecting and preparing the team, I was wrong.  Quite honestly, we need a sponsor and a mechanism to draw from the incredible talent pool of past champions to groom a team without putting too much of a burden on them.

Ken
My only comment here is to say that good coaching for whatever the type of flying is desired would be the best answer.  Unfortunately this is a very large country with many miles and little time between most the active participants.  At best we might get a few days here and there to work with those who can or will help constructively.  That is different than some other smaller countries or situations where a concentration of effort is more likely.  Don't know how to solve that.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »

Since these positions contradict each other it appears we can do one of three things.  1. Change back to a subjective scoring system (which is not going to happen and seriously, don't we really do that anyway).

I am not sure what you mean. Stunt judging was and always will be subjective and all the systems we have ever used are subjective. "Subjective" as opposed to what?

Brett

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »
    I am not sure what you mean. Stunt judging was and always will be subjective and all the systems we have ever used are subjective. "Subjective" as opposed to what?

Brett
Objective.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »
If you want to fly in a contest that rewards corners, I’d think you would put some effort into figuring out how to have your airplane make better corners. The analytical tools are readily available.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »

Paul's Quote

The problem is that in international competition NOW, tight corners score. PERIOD.  As has been pointed out, if you can't do tight corners on all the high K maneuvers, you will not score well.

How do we fix this??

Brett's response:

It depends on your opinion on what is "broken". I don't necessarily buy the premise that they have it "right" and we are doing it "wrong". 

Paul's 2nd response

We are talking about what is happening at the WC's. Right or wrong, corners score there. If you fly there, it is "right"!

Paul's Quote

I think the only way is for US judges to start recognizing tighter corners and scoring them accordingly. Yes, one has to decide how to judge a perfectly square loop with soft corners versus the same shape but with tighter corners, and then of course a perfect geometry with tight corners but with a slight hop on one corner. 

If this paradigm shift doesn't happen, how will we ever get pilots to fly tight corners and expect to compete at the worlds.

Brett's response:

I think you are making some assumptions that I think are quite debatable (because I am going to debate them...). You appear to be assuming that the most important goal of stunt is to win the world championship, and that US judge's and flier's goal is to train themselves for competition in the WC. Also,  the implication is emphasis on corner radius is both the sole reason for success, and that this is something we are doing wrong that we should be looking to "fix". 

I would dispute all of those points. The current apparent (note: apparent) emphasis on corner radius appears to me to be an overreaction to previous, different overemphasis on other standards, specifically 5 foot bottoms, in the era that you couldn't tell the difference between round 8s and square 8s. At the time, many people in the US argued that this was a distortion of the intent of the rules, which have "5 foot altitude" or some equivalent, and then 10,000 other words. For a while, it appeared that they read the first 3 words and ignored the rest. Well, after not inconsiderable lobbying and discussion, and some other factors I decline to discuss in public, now the apparent (note again: apparent) approach is to look at the "5 foot radius" and not really considering the other aspects. 

So, it could be argued that the emphasis has shifted from one narrow view to a different, equally narrow view, both of which are mistakes/not really the intent of the rules. 

Note that while it is perfectly clear that the emphasis has shifted and you are certainly well-capable of evaluating what it takes to win stunt contests, in the problem at hand, I would contend that there were quite obviously other factors involved. I will decline to discuss them here, for exactly the same reason from the other thread. I think we even discussed it at the NWR this year. But, for sake of argument, let's grant the premise that the way to win "world" contests is to turn tighter.  

That doesn't mean that they have it "more correct" than we do, and that we should "fix" US stunt to do it their way. Even if it *is* the way to be successful at the WC, that doesn't mean the emphasis here should change, if we happen to think we/US are doing it more correctly, with a balanced weighting of all the aspects, instead of homing in and providing emphasis on just one aspect. I think the US Nationals judging corp has been very consistent over several decades in weighting the various factors appropriately.  

I removed the 5 foot radius words to attempt to reflect this approach - not to "reduce emphasis" but to reflect the recognition that it is physically impossible for any airplane with conventional aerodynamics. And, additionally, to remove the tendency of a few to home in on what appears to be an engineering requirement and forgetting about the rest of it. Which, interestingly, is also the premise I dispute in the current FAI emphasis. 

Turning tighter still gets you better scores in the US, too. It's just that it's not the sole determining factor. 

Paul's response:

At a recent competition in the NW, you were selected to do a warm up flight (thanks). The expert judges and advanced judges did a warm up flight and scored it. David and I were advanced judges and there were two Nat's judges in this group.

After the flight we went through the scores maneuver by maneuver and all was close until the IS. The expert judges scored 38's, but I had a 34, as well as David. I asked about the 38 score, and they indicated the shape was near perfect, bottom the right height, as well as the upper elevation. However, (my comment), the corners were not tight. I asked them how they would score the exact same maneuver, but with tighter corners. I was met with blank stares. I believed they completely understood what I was saying. David knew!

Unfortunately, this is how I see the Nat's judges. These two had been through Mark's judges training more than once, so it is my conclusion that there is no effort being put forth to adhere the the tight corner requirement.

My bottomnline: All other things being equal, the maneuver with the tighter corner should score higher.

I do not think that we should try to "fix" something in US stunt that we have absolutely no agreement is broken, just to follow the current FAI trend.  Nor do I consider US competition as a "AAA Baseball" training league for the WC. I think success in US stunt is at least as legitimate a goal as success in "world" stunt. Now, of course, that might be considered self-serving considering my US success compared to my non-existent "world" success, and I am willing to grant you, Bobby, Billy, David, and Orestes' different perspective, but I bet there are plenty of other people with have *neither* experience that feel the way I do. 

Pauil's response:
See my comments previously.

Paul's Quote

We have a few youngsters coming up that still have time to train themselves to do tighter corners. Again, if their tighter corners are not rewarded (as the rules dictate) then they will never develop the muscles and reflexes for future use.

So, if I am all wet, where am I wrong on this?

Brett's response:
     Igor is not exactly a spring chicken, and he managed to tighten up drastically since the 2004 NATs when I first met him, so people who want to do it generally have a lot of time to prepare. Turning tighter (without losing everything else) will still help them in the USA. It counts for a lot, here, too - just not everything. Which is what I think it should be. 

It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's entirely a matter of opinion where the emphasis should lie.  

Paul's response:

It is my opinion that in the US tight corners don't not count for as much as you think based on what I saw earlier this year.

And yes, not everyone aspires to be on the US team. For them the US Nat's is as good as it gets. No need for them to bother learning the hard corners and creating extra problems trimming their planes to accomplish that.

My goal is to inform future US WC pilots what they will run into when they get there. Chris Rudd told me that both Joe and Richard were "suprised" by all the hard corners, and how they scored. If they go more informed, and practiced in that, team members will do better.

Once again, I am not picking on Joe and Richard, I know they did their best. I AM disappointed that they were surprised about the hard corners scoring. I for one didn't want to "preach" to them about how to do it before they left. How to help without being pushy?

Regarding the Team Trials, yes, we definitly should have judges there that will score good, tight corners higher. This should produce a team that will score well. If we send a team that doesn't do tight corners, we will get what we deserve!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2018, 06:48:29 PM »

At a recent competition in the NW, you were selected to do a warm up flight (thanks). The expert judges and advanced judges did a warm up flight and scored it. David and I were advanced judges and there were two Nat's judges in this group.

After the flight we went through the scores maneuver by maneuver and all was close until the IS. The expert judges scored 38's, but I had a 34, as well as David. I asked about the 38 score, and they indicated the shape was near perfect, bottom the right height, as well as the upper elevation. However, (my comment), the corners were not tight. I asked them how they would score the exact same maneuver, but with tighter corners. I was met with blank stares. I believed they completely understood what I was saying. David knew!

Fortunately, they managed to find someone that measured up.

Unfortunately, this is how I see the Nat's judges. These two had been through Mark's judges training more than once, so it is my conclusion that there is no effort being put forth to adhere the the tight corner requirement.My bottomnline: All other things being equal, the maneuver with the tighter corner should score higher.

I agree with the last bit. Of course, to determine if "everything else was equal", you have to be willing to look at everything else, too. That's where the word "emphasis" and "balance" comes in. I don't dispute your assessment of the WC. I might have a different opinion on whether it represents balance or tunnel vision.

My goal is to inform future US WC pilots what they will run into when they get there. Chris Rudd told me that both Joe and Richard were "suprised" by all the hard corners, and how they scored. If they go more informed, and practiced in that, team members will do better.

Once again, I am not picking on Joe and Richard, I know they did their best. I AM disappointed that they were surprised about the hard corners scoring. I for one didn't want to "preach" to them about how to do it before they left. How to help without being pushy?

Regarding the Team Trials, yes, we definitly should have judges there that will score good, tight corners higher. This should produce a team that will score well. If we send a team that doesn't do tight corners, we will get what we deserve!

I mostly agree. Of course, they may have gotten the idea that the hard cornering was not an issue because of the team reports and off-line complaints about the lack of emphasis on corners in favor of 5 feet for the years 1984-2006 or so. They didn't go to the last 3 WC.  This is a relatively recent development that probably reflects a combination of previous US Team commentary on the topic, and demonstration of what can be accomplished by other fliers, specifically, Igor.

Trying to improve the individual pilot's performance is a legitimate goal, and I think that is a good area for examination. I also have no doubt that your assesment of the points of emphasis is probably correct as far as it goes, and probably the only factor under the pilot's control.  We discussed some other factors at the NWR. 

I would point out it is not "we", it is "them". "We", specifically, yourself, David, some of us parochial lesser lights such as me and Derek, all declined to participate. We all had perfectly valid reasons for it so I feel no apologies are required. It did, however, set up a situation where two of the team were flying in their first-ever big FAI contest, with tremendous pressure that comes with having relatively light experience in these sorts of situations. I remember my first Top 5, it was intimidating, and I had flown every local contest against Ted/David/RJ and sometimes Paul for the preceding 25 years. I think they did remarkably well, all things considered.

But I find it very difficult to fault anyone else's efforts (preparation, awareness, performance, style, equipment, or otherwise) if I myself am unwilling to even attempt it.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
Brett,

You keep talking about criticizing the performance of the team members, but in re-reading this entire post I saw no mention of criticism toward anyone about their performance!

The entire objective that I did notice was to simply try to establish a way to better inform prospective International competitors of the difference between what one might expect here in the US for scoring and the reality of what would score highest at the worlds.
I'm not at all sure I understand why you seem to take a "protective stance" against any changes in that preparation and seem to think that the status Quo is just fine when admittedly the two very fine gentlemen and fliers on the team that obviously did their very best but admitted that they were surprised by the tight corners there in the competition.

The intention of everything I said was certainly not to criticize anyone or anything but to attempt to simply inspire everyone that wants to compete internationally to be able to afford themselves of specific coaching aimed at that goal by the individuals that are most prepared to have that information; The past National and international champions that we have an abundance of here!

I have attended contests here in the US as a "middle of the pack expert" for many, many years as well as judged at many for more years than I care to think about and the general attitude of many competitors and judges has been that "Smooth Presentation" is the most important aspect of stunt!  While I wont necessarily argue with that I have always argued that tight corners should also be a primary goal of the highest scores because it both looks better and is much more difficult to do well!
Obviously some others agree with that premise and it would appear that the WC Judges are, at least for the present, at the head of that line!  What's wrong, given that obvious fact, with trying to improve the attitude of both judges and competetitors to be aware of that.

In fact during most of that time while aspiring to fly the tightest corners I was often criticized (because I was obviously not able to do that without errors, bobbles, etc.), and generally always told by others to "back off" on the corners, and concentrate on being smooth. (whatever that means).  Not once do I ever remember being afforded of any particular information on how tight corners might be achieved better either by control design or by physical style changes until I read a couple of articles by past national and world champions on the actual physical stance and hand control functions used by the best fliers! 

My intention in this post was simply to try to inspire some people to collectively form a group that could provide that kind of coaching.
I don't know if it would even be possible to do so.  I'm sure it would be difficult.  I'm just as sure that the AMA would be no help.  PAMPA was mentioned but frankly I see no real structure in PAMPA that could organize such an undertaking.

Maybe it's just "Pie in the Sky".

If anyone here misconstrued anything I said or wrote to think I was criticizing the performance of any of our team members "My Bad" and I heartily apologize.  It was not my intention to do anything like that!

I consider the two Gentlemen in Question to be friends of mine and have the highest possible regard for both of them!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »
From Paul,

"Unfortunately, this is how I see the Nat's judges. These two had been through Mark's judges training more than once, so it is my conclusion that there is no effort being put forth to adhere the the tight corner requirement"

I know from talking to more than one judge, that Mark does put a high value on corners in his training, and warm up flights.

Derek

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2018, 01:51:10 AM »
Wen Orestes competed at the 2017 Nat’s. I commented that he was flying FAI in a AMA contest.
He dint understand my comment.  He said Draw a square it has no radias in the corner junction
We disused AMA scoring and that his tighter corners would not ganer significantly higher scores that would overcome bottom height differences.
He now agrees his next Nat’s will feature softer corners with an emphasis on 5’ consistent bottoms
Going back to the way he won Back to back Nat’s
Igor and many other pilots can fly very hard corner with excellent corner exits   The challenge is with consistent bottom heights.
As to our pilots flying harder corners with their current equipment. It will be very difficult
The entire Chinese team bought Yatsenko Sharks.  The Sharks can be adjusted to fly very agreesive corners
1-2-4-5 were all Sharks. The model control system is adjustable to suit the flying style required. AMA or FAI
Two of our flyers used the Kaz blue Max. This model control system could not be adjusted to match the Sharks
We had to add weight to gain corners. The old Bar Bell effect had to be overcome
One of or pilots flew 4.45 laps. Hard to fly precision
To our team defense. A 36  hour delay with over 6 hours sitting on a plane in Iceland dint help
This delays cost  2 team members  valuable practice time. They were behind from the bigining
getting a new fuel sorted was also a challenge
In my opinion Electric models should be used for international competition. Electric removes many variables and obstacles that gas planes encounter
Please this is not a negative to the valiant effort put forth by our team
Chris Rudd motor was flawless throughout the contest. Like clock work
Jose modesto

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2018, 05:06:00 AM »
Thanks Jose! It sounds like you had a wonderful time in France.

Here is where I am at on the whole thing. I don't think judges should focus on any ONE aspect of the pattern. I don't think someone should get a high score just because they fly violent corners. Now, if you can fly blazing corners while maintaining 45 degrees, good shapes and 4'-6' bottoms, that's one thing.... I have watched videos of many top five flyoffs, and corners are never the thing that separates the winner from the losers, mistakes are!

Derek

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2018, 05:44:18 AM »
Thanks Jose! It sounds like you had a wonderful time in France.

Here is where I am at on the whole thing. I don't think judges should focus on any ONE aspect of the pattern. I don't think someone should get a high score just because they fly violent corners. Now, if you can fly blazing corners while maintaining 45 degrees, good shapes and 4'-6' bottoms, that's one thing.... I have watched videos of many top five flyoffs, and corners are never the thing that separates the winner from the losers, mistakes are!

Derek

Of course they won't focus on one aspect only, in general the judging was ok in my opinion.
I did not place very high in final result and I can only blame myself. Looking at the score sheet and remembering my flying I quite agree with the points. Only slightly weird and unfair thing was that judges in grass circle were giving clearly less points on the last qualifying day. At least that's how I feel when comparing my 2 flights in that circle.
Also, I watched many flights, including some US pilots, and I could see the mistakes they made causing them to place lower than better pilots. In general US pilots flew a little large maneuvres with soft corners, and there was also other mistakes, caused for example by turbulent air. L

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2018, 05:46:04 AM »
Well stated, Derek! You are so right that corners are just one (important) part of the whole presentation. I've watched fliers who could do blazingly tight corners, and then watched them have some less impressive corners in their round stuff! ;D The entire presentation needs to be focused on...

I can add the following to this discussion just for thought food: Many people (fliers) with whom I have discussed "modern" Stunt flying have indicated that they are disappointed that the patterns that are winning are not "pretty." The graceful flowing patterns that many of our top fliers used to fly, while not nearly as technically correct as what is being attempted today, just looked more artistic. I'm not saying that we are going in the wrong direction with emphasis on the corners, or that we should regress to a pattern that is softer. All I'm saying is what I hear from many about the "look" of the "modern" pattern. If there is a way to retain some of the flow and grace, while at the same time keeping the technical aspects correct, it would be more palatable for some. Having said that, it is my opinion that David is actually doing this right now, and that may be the reason he is so hard to beat...

Like in all things, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  y1

Bob Hunt     
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:22:37 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2018, 06:02:00 AM »
Howard cut combat quality corners with no bobbles. Looked that way to my prevaricating eyes. When I complimented his corners while eating mush at 12th Street, he muttered, “Igor System.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »
Derek is right. In the end its all about the mistakes or lack there of that separates the top few spots.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »
Just remember if the airplanes were 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the size they would corner twice as sharp  LL~
AMA 12366

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
Just remember if the airplanes were 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the size they would corner twice as sharp  LL~
If you follow Brett's math from the previous page 1/2 the weight at 1/2 the size would be double the wing loading, which (to first order) would mean twice the turn radius :)
MAAC 8177

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
If you follow Brett's math from the previous page 1/2 the weight at 1/2 the size would be double the wing loading, which (to first order) would mean twice the turn radius :)

Yep, that makes perfect sense as a Cadillac can surely out turn a Volkswagon. Just as a stunter can out turn a combat wing
AMA 12366

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
We got the corners
That make judges scream,
“Ain’t nobody turns
Like the Jive Combat Team.”
The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

So, say, 32 ounces and 350 square inches (assuming you mean "half" of the wing area). Heavier than a Skyray and 50 less square inches - doesn't sound like a cornering machine to me. But, fortunately we have very simple math to figure it out. That results in *exactly the same wing loading* as, say a 64 ounce 700 square inch airplane, and if everything else was the same (the air density and the Cl), it would result in *exactly the same turn radius*. To the math

Wing area = 700 square inches = 4.86 square feet
Weight  = 64 ounces  (Impact/40VF) = 4 lbs, mass is 4/32.174 slugs = 0.124 slug

Wing loading Ws = .124 slugs/4.86 square feet = 0.0256 slugs/ft2

Wing area = 350 square inches = 2.43 square feet
Weight  = 32 ounces  (Impact/40VF) = 2 lbs, mass is 2/32.174 slugs = 0.062 slug

Wing loading Ws = .062 slugs/2.43 square feet = 0.0256 slugs/ft2

minimum turn radius (from lift effects alone)

r = 2Ws/Clp

Being very generous, figure a Cl of 1.5, p is the STP air density of 0.00233 slugs/cubic foot

r=2*0.0256/(1.5*0.00233) = 14.6 feet   either way.

If you meant half the linear dimensions and half the weight, then it's much worse - half the linear dimensions results in 1/4 the wing area, so 32 ounces and 175 square inches. You can do the arithmetic, but you know the answer already.

If you want to hit 5 feet, you need to build your full-scale Impact not at 64 ounces (like the one who beat everybody repeatedly to the point Paul got bored with it), but *23 ounces*. That's less than the weight of the engine/pipe, wheels, etc, and much less than the bare airframe weight you could realistically achieve.

This analysis, which anyone since the Wright Brothers on could have done, and Wild Bill and many others did 60 years ago, is probably the source of the "weight is everything" tribal knowledge.

Note also that you are missing one of the caveats before. If you had a shrink ray and could magically scale down an Impact to half the wing area, with the density of all the materials the same, the weight would be *much less than half*. Proof left to the reader. Of course you can't really do that, either.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
Yep, that makes perfect sense as a Cadillac can surely out turn a Volkswagon.

Well, since you are a physics fan, cornering in a car is more-or-less the same physical situation, with the lift replaced with the available side-force from the car (which in your example can be assumed to come entirely from the tires). In fact, it explains why adding traction from downforce works better than adding traction by making the car heavier.

And I can assure you that if you go down to your Cadillac dealership this afternoon, every new Cadillac you could buy out-corners any VW bug ever made by a large margin.

Just as a stunter can out turn a combat wing

Is it the size, or the wing loading?  Note that for the combat wing, change Cl to about 1.1 or so because you don't have flaps (and the 1.5 for a stunt plane is pretty optimistic and will not be acheived under most circumstances).

Brett

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Funny how none can see a combat plane turning tighter. A 40 oz Nobler will turn tighter than a modern stunt plane. Just my observation. A short wheelbase is going to turn quicker than a Diesel truck. Pi are round. Bisquets are square.
AMA 12366

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Funny how none can see a combat plane turning tighter. A 40 oz Nobler will turn tighter than a modern stunt plane. Just my observation. A short wheelbase is going to turn quicker than a Diesel truck. Pi are round. Bisquets are square.

What do you mean, "none can see a combat plane turning tighter"? Do the math, the Cl is lower, but the wing loading is much lower, so it turns tighter. Making it smaller makes the wing loading *lower* up to a point, due to the area scaling as the square of the linear dimensions, but the mass scaling as the cube of the linear dimensions.

Your example of "half the size = half the radius" was just wrong, the linear scale factor to get from 350 to 700 square inches is about 71%, meaning you would reduce the span, chord, everything to 71% of the original dimensions. If you had a shrink ray, the weight you might expect is about 22 ounces. But you aren't likely to do that - at which point the wing loading os 0.0176 slugs/square foot, which will give you a turn radius of about 10 feet rather than the original 14.6.

That's what makes it at least conceivable to build these tiny airplanes and fly them on 35 foot lines. It's the math from the caveat you skipped in your rush to play "gotcha" and "engineers are all stupid, they don't know what anybody normal knows, HA HA!"

If you want to dispute the math, show where it is wrong. Mocking me or simple math isn't going to change the reality. And *this math explains where you got your own "if 64 ounces is good, 0 ounces is better* approach to modeling that you are mocking me about. Somebody told you "lighter is better", you adopted that as a way of life - and the analysis above is what that is based on.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »

Combat planes are lighter than Brett’s example.
The Jive Combat Team

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
    Somebody told you "lighter is better", you adopted that as a way of life - and the analysis above is what that is based on.

Brett

Well, would you agree a 40 Oz Nobler will turn tighter than a modern stunter? You have to have a certain sense of humor to get it.

The longer you stretch the fuse the longer it takes to around the corner. Or is my hick math wrong?
AMA 12366

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »

Someone gets what I was getting at? If a plane, any plane, can't do 5' corners - don't get hung up on it - but what you do turn should 'appear' to be tight, as unless judges are allowed video slow-mo replay with geometry measuring the actual shape is pure assessment / best judgement. I'm curious, flaps obviously assist lift of the wing but does their function make a change of direction sharper or smoother? I ask as neither full size nor RC aerobatic planes don't (to my knowledge) use coupled flaps/elevators for changes of pitch - it is serious question who isn't a qualified aerodynamicist ?

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
Wild Bill Netzeband built a series of  flapless 1/2a test airplanes back in the 1980's.  He used them to see if they could turn the 5' corner.

One actually did it.
De Hill

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
Well, would you agree a 40 Oz Nobler will turn tighter than a modern stunter? You have to have a certain sense of humor to get it.

Apparently I am lacking in imagination, but no, it will certainly not. The appearance of the Impact with it's superior cornering is what killed the Nobler approach forever.

Doing the math from above, you get a wing loading that is 0.02 slugs./square foot, which is lower than the wing loading of the Impact. But, given the very inferior airfoil, the maximum Cl will be much lower, say, 1.2 if you are really optimistic. So 14.3 feet.

Note that over the years, people have done measurements of the actual, achieved, corner radius. It hasn't changed for years, the best are always around 13 feet and never exceeds that indicated by the calculation above.

The Nobler and the tens of thousands of "original designs" based on it, was notorious even in the day for "soft corners" and is far from the best example. Read the "Olympic" article, where is says right on the plans how to make it turn "snappy, like Shark" by trimming a large amount from the flaps.

The longer you stretch the fuse the longer it takes to around the corner. Or is my hick math wrong?

What math is that? You haven't shown any. 

What I think you are attempting to explain is mentioned previously as Caveat #2. It is also clearly obvious in the movie at the start of the thread. The Cl is a function of the angle of attack (of the *entire airplane*) and the control deflection. To acheive the radius shown before, you have to *instantly* achieve the maximum Cl hold it until the flight path changes (say, 90 degrees), then remove it instantly. Lets be really generous and say you move the handle immediately to the necessary control deflection, to that takes 0 time. Once you do that, the airplane has to rotate. The rotational acceleration is a function of the moment of inertia, and the torque supplied. The lift *doesn't stay constant*, and it's also the "net" lift, which in this case is the lift from the wing (calculated before) MINUS the lift from the tail.

How long it takes the tail to start accelerating the airplane to pitch it around is definitely not zero - sometimes it takes most of the corner, as is shown in Orestes' corners. The math controlling this, and thus how much lift you actually get, is complex and uses calculus. I haven't come close to solving it in "closed form" (i.e. simple equation that can be calculated to generate the time history of either the position or the angle), but I have done it as difference equations that can be piecewise integrated to generate a time history.

But the important thing, and the reason I put in a caveat before, is that *all of these effects act in a direction to reduce the Cl you actually get (and its not remotely constant through the corner) compared to the previous simplistic analysis. Meaning the previous analysis is always going to suggest a tighter turn radius than you are going to actually achieve. So even if you managed to build a 23 ounce Impact, you STILL aren't going to get 5 feet, or at least, it won't be horizontal at 5 foot altitude and vertical at 10 foot altitude. This is because the time it takes to accelerate in rotation is not trivial, in fact, it's the driving effect.

A legion of Captain Ahabs have attempted to harpoon this particular white whale, and have sometimes managed to build airplanes with wing loading necessary to achieve a 5-foot radius using the simplistic analysis. Then they measure it, and it's 9-10-11' and not a "radius" because it takes the entire time to get to the minimum turn radius, more like a parabola getting tighter until it's time to stop.

To your, er, point, the effect Paul was talking to earlier, "making it look tight" requires something other than just looking at the wing loading. One of the breakthroughs along was *making the fuselage longer*, in order to increase the torque available from the tail. This causes the acceleration at the start of the corner to go up, and/or reduces the lift from the tail required and thus it doesn't have as much effect on the net lift for the whole airplane.

Brett

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
 LL~ Can't argue with you and you don't need math to see with your eyes. LL~ The soft corner you speak of on a NOBLER is when it reaches the 50 OZ mark and wing loading becomes the same as modern planes.

You are right about one thing, no one can reach a 5-foot radius but you can at least try to make appear as if it was. You speak of a longer tail and you will need it if you have a Briggs or a clay brick in the nose.

I am by no means knocking modern power. The setups of today can't be beaten in the wind where you need max HP.
AMA 12366

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »
Wild Bill Netzeband built a series of  flapless 1/2a test airplanes back in the 1980's.  He used them to see if they could turn the 5' corner.

One actually did it.

It was 9 feet, more or less, because of the effect noted above.  Baron flew demo flights at the NATs one time, and I think Ted flew at least one version of it.  I talked to Bill (who may have built the Pequod himself) about that down at the Bob Palmer one year. Rich Porter did it a bit more extreme, and got it down in the 7 foot range.

The reason they did this was not because of Sparky's "wheelbase" effect. In fact, the airplanes in question (and he build a bunch of them) had greatly extended noses because it was necessary for balance on a 400-ish square inch airplanes with 049s, or larger airplanes with 19s.   The reason he made them smaller (although still larger than "half size) was because the weight goes down as the cube of the linear dimensions and the wing area goes down as the square of the wing area, so the wing loading, everything else being equal, goes down as the sizes go down. That runs into some practical limitations hardware at some point, but they sought out the sweet spot and then invoked extreme weight saving measures.

So, they managed to approach the required wing loading, but in the effort they ran into the equally important "crank up" effect.  Trying to solve the "crank up" effect had the side effects that they could never overcome - basically, it was impossible to fly reliably in straight lines. This is where they started experimenting with exponential controls in an effort to smooth it out around neutral. The result was that in practice, while it looked really good, it didn't *look* nearly as tight as it really was, sort of the opposite of the Impact effect, and the slow control around neutral made the pilot hand speed a significant limitation.

Brett

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2018, 04:03:15 PM »
I have a VHS tape of Wild Bill in his garage talking about the 1/2a airplanes.

He said one of the airplanes would turn a 5' corner.

Are you denying that the airplane turned a 5' corner?
De Hill

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
LL~ Can't argue with you and you don't need math to see with your eyes. LL~ The soft corner you speak of on a NOBLER is when it reaches the 50 OZ mark and wing loading becomes the same as modern planes.

Uh, no. I guarantee I have flown more Nobler flights than you have. They (or at least the Green Box built to planes) actually appear to turn better at 45-50 ounces than they do at 40 or below, even with a Fox 35. They don't get to the top of the circle as well, but the turn looks much less awkward. It's more or less the same effect we found with the Tucker Special or Profile Cardinal - too much flap. We added *8 ounces* to the Tucker and it turned DRASTICALLY better, not just a little bit.

If you build a Nobler at 40 ounces or less, you can greatly increase the quality and reduce the radius by changing the flap/elevator ratio towards more elevator. The Nobler from "stunting can be smooth" used about 2:5 ratio, that's about what Ted ended up with on his 36-ounce Ares (which is close to a Nobler clone as far as aerodynamics go). Even more so if you use a modern engine. Or, use the solution Gialdini came up with from the "Olympic" article - cut down the flap area drastically. And like Ted and I did on the Profile Cardinal.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »
I have a VHS tape of Wild Bill in his garage talking about the 1/2a airplanes.

He said one of the airplanes would turn a 5' corner.

Are you denying that the airplane turned a 5' corner?

I am relaying *what Bill Netzeband told me in about 2006*.

I am not going to get into this with you.

Brett

p.s. OK, maybe I will. What Bill actually told me was they had built an airplane (actually several) that would hypothetically achieve the 5 foot radius using the static analysis I derived above. This is the example I gave above. Then, when they actually measured it, it was in the 9 foot range because of the dynamic effects. The reason we were talking about it in the first place was Bill wanting to understand the *dynamic*/finite response issue that causes the "crank-up" issue, ALSO mentioned above. I was *assisting him* in trying to derive the necessary equations of motion, most of which he already had, and a few aspects were missing and explained the difference between the hand calculation and the actual results. I think the part he was missing was the line whip (you have to accelerate the lines around the corner in addition to just the airplane) and static analysis was not adequate. So, look at the tape and see if that is consistent, or not.

In any case, I enjoyed talking to Bill about stuff like this more than just about anyone else. Howard is always on about how his published material was too geared to rules of thumb and over-simplified, but I can assure you, he had done very insightful sophisticated analysis on an amazing number of topics, and it was almost all very well-done, even by the standards I deal with every day professionally. I am indirectly involved in both hiring and evaluating the performance of engineers we get, and you can tell in about a week whether or not they were going to ever "get it", or whether they have any feel for what they are doing, or just treat everything as a math problem with no insight into whatever it is. It has nothing to do with education, and people can get a PHDs and still be hopeless aside from narrow, targeted, tasks. I could tell, talking to Bill for 5 minutes out in Whitter Narrows park, that he "got it" and we could jump past the preamble to go right into it. I still have a engineering pad somewhere where we went over some of the issues  - after we decided it was getting too complicated to draw in the dust next to the circle with a stick!   

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:30:17 PM by Brett Buck »

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
   Uh, no. I guarantee I have flown more Nobler flights than you have. They (or at least the Green Box built to
    Brett

Let's see I Started building and flying Noblers in 69 -never mind it's just not worth arguing with the smartest man on the planet. Just remember YOU DON'T know me or anything of my childhood.
AMA 12366

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
Bob Storick;

l'll have the Wiid Bill vhs tape put on a dvd (and send it to you) if you will place it on Stunt hangar.

De Hill

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2018, 04:20:54 PM »
Bob Storick;

l'll have the Wiid Bill vhs tape put on a dvd (and send it to you) if you will place it on Stunt hangar.

You bet!
AMA 12366

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
Let's see I Started building and flying Noblers in 69 -never mind it's just not worth arguing with the smartest man on the planet. Just remember YOU DON'T know me or anything of my childhood.

Who said I was "the smartest man on the planet"? Nothing in this thread requires (outside the caveat) anything more than high school math and science class, it's really basic. Most people never really consider things this way, I was trying to help clear up your misapprehensions, but if your "beleifs" are more important than reality, far be it for me to intervene.

I know you think I am doing this to embarrass you, but why would I want to do that? What is the motivation?  I don't have a beef with you.

Brett

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
I had a post that failed to post. I think I suggested it would be a good idea for  FAI competitors who have first- hand Worlds experience pass on their knowledge gained to the new Team headed for the Worlds.

Good Job,  Team USA!

dg

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
I had a post that failed to post. I think I suggested it would be a good idea for  FAI competitors who have first- hand Worlds experience pass on their knowledge gained to the new Team headed for the Worlds.

Good Job,  Team USA!

dg

I am working on the forum issues today. I hope I can straighten them out if I am smart enough.
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
To lighten this up a bit you might find it humorous to know just where the "five foot radius rule" came from at the start of the modern pattern in 1958. I got this directly from the man who was commissioned by the AMA to design the "new" pattern in 1957.

I visited George Aldrich at his home in 1996 to do a video interview. I asked him about designing the pattern and he told me that a friend of his (I believe it was Ross McMullen...) and he had finished the actual maneuver selection and sequence. George then suggested that they needed to put a radius stipulation on the corner maneuvers. George asked his friend how tight the model was turning, and he said, "It looks to be about a five foot radius to me." That's what George wrote down and submitted...

Even back then the radius to the naked eye in real time "looked" to be about five feet. George told me after relating that story that he wished he had just stipulated, "...a tight but smooth corner." And, as Paul Harvey used to say, that's the rest of the story.

Bob Hunt     

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2018, 07:30:10 PM »

Good Job,  Team USA!

dg

Thanks Dale!

My very point way back at the beginning of this thread!  Some how it all got lost in the arguments about corner radius.  The people who should know, like Mr Walker say that the competitors at the worlds need to fly tighter corners.  Tighter corners to me doesn't necessarily mean actual mathematically tighter corners but tighter appearing corners.  I mentioned earlier that the human mind and eye cannot process visual information fast enough to actually see most of the radius that occurs when a "tight" corner is flown. This is why the radius of the corners appear to be larger when the visual  "frames" of the camera action is slowed down.  So...arguing whether or not it's physically possible to turn a 5 ft corner with a stunt plane really becomes MOOT!

Still I can tell you after judging thousands of stunt flights over the years that some corners definitely appear to be much tighter than others.  the tightest appearing corners I have personally witnessed while judging were at VSC flown by two different gentlemen.  The first was none other that Paul Walker flying his "Skylark" at about 4.3 second laps and the other was Masaru Hiki flying his USA AMA at about 4.2 second laps.  In both cases the corners simply appeared to be a "flash" change of direction.  In all cases (and I believe this to be a very important part of the effect) they were followed by perfectly straight lines with no bobbles or wiggles or secondary adjustment in direction necessary.  This gave the appearance of perfect squares!, even though I know that they could not physically have been!  I'm also very aware from my own experience at trying to duplicate that feat that the skill required to perform this consistently is beyond all but the very best of us that fly stunt (one of which I am definitely NOT!).

I suggest then that the discussion should should be how to achieve the passage of knowledge and coaching to allow those who wish to participate to try to achieve this
visual effect!  Incidentally it has a very desirable effect on scores here in the USA also.  Not to mention the gasps and disbelief from the bystanders that witness it in a flight!

As for the discussion that earlier centered around the US National Championships and that the pattern should be a complete presentation with no errors (or at least as few errors as possible) most certainly that is germane to the conversation but does not take into consideration that the scoring process of International competition is very heavily weighted to a few maneuvers with corners and straight lines!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
To lighten this up a bit you might find it humorous to know just where the "five foot radius rule" came from at the start of the modern pattern in 1958. I got this directly from the man who was commissioned by the AMA to design the "new" pattern in 1957.

I visited George Aldrich at his home in 1996 to do a video interview. I asked him about designing the pattern and he told me that a friend of his (I believe it was Ross McMullen...) and he had finished the actual maneuver selection and sequence. George then suggested that they needed to put a radius stipulation on the corner maneuvers. George asked his friend how tight the model was turning, and he said, "It looks to be about a five foot radius to me." That's what George wrote down and submitted...

Even back then the radius to the naked eye in real time "looked" to be about five feet. George told me after relating that story that he wished he had just stipulated, "...a tight but smooth corner." And, as Paul Harvey used to say, that's the rest of the story.

Bob Hunt     

It would have been nice  if he  had  wrote   14 or 15 foot radius . Something that could be done, I have measured corners for decades  and I think about  14 foot is the tightest I have ever seen ( well except for when I flew Rich's 1/2 A VooDoos) This would be much better , in my opinion, than just tight corner, That could mean anything  to many different people.  I still think the  AMA rules  should reflect a number, like  14 foot  radius.
And it seems, contrary to what many believe, there have been many flyers  trying for very hard corners  for  Decades  now, At least since I have been watching and flying for near 50 years.

And I will also add this to the conversation, it is  not only the tight 5 ft radius corners that are causing some US pilots scoring problems with the FAI  scoring system, it is  the  High K factors these maneuvers with corners have, To get upwards to the top, you have to get great scores on the square, and corning  maneuvers

Regards
Randy

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
It would have been nice  if he  had  wrote   14 or 15 foot radius . Something that could be done, I have measured corners for decades  and I think about  14 foot is the tightest I have ever seen ( well except for when I flew Rich's 1/2 A VooDoos) This would be much better , in my opinion, than just tight corner, That could mean anything  to many different people.  I still think the  AMA rules  should reflect a number, like  14 foot  radius.
And it seems, contrary to what many believe, there have been many flyers  trying for very hard corners  for  Decades  now, At least since I have been watching and flying for near 50 years.

Regards
Randy

While I don't completely disagree I do think that such wording would result in an effect that would increase the average corners way beyond 14 ft!  In fact I would expect that if you talk to some people who deliberately fly softer corners now to gain more "control" and "Smoothness" to their maneuvers they would tell you that they fly 14 to 15 ft corners now!  At least that has been my personal experience with a lot of "local" expert fliers when I've questioned them about corners!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
While I don't completely disagree I do think that such wording would result in an effect that would increase the average corners way beyond 14 ft!  In fact I would expect that if you talk to some people who deliberately fly softer corners now to gain more "control" and "Smoothness" to their maneuvers they would tell you that they fly 14 to 15 ft corners now!  At least that has been my personal experience with a lot of "local" expert fliers when I've questioned them about corners!

Randy Cuberly

A 14 foot radius corner IS what People call a  blinding corner , so Judges and pilots that know what they are looking at  should know better

Regards
Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »
. George then suggested that they needed to put a radius stipulation on the corner maneuvers. George asked his friend how tight the model was turning, and he said, "It looks to be about a five foot radius to me." That's what George wrote down and submitted...

Even back then the radius to the naked eye in real time "looked" to be about five feet. George told me after relating that story that he wished he had just stipulated, "...a tight but smooth corner."

Which is also where I got the idea for the rule book. I never heard why they or someone else didn't just change it as desired in the ~50 years it existed. The "5 foot rule" (or the "14 foot rule" or whatever number you put in) gives an *illusion* of a real measurement or specification, with absolutely no way to evaluate it. The judges have to eyeball it from 170 feet away in a split second, for hours on end, and assign some sort of a number to that and everything else, in a few seconds.  As noted above, if it looks tighter, and that's about all you can do. How much to weight it VS size, precision, and other geometry errors, is where the art comes in.

Change it to *zero*, it won't make any difference, people who are competitive do it as tight as they think they can manage without screwing something else up and it's not the same from day to day or even maneuver to maneuver. How much to weight it is a point of evaluation for the pilot. It is their job to try to give the judges what they are looking for - which also varies from day to day, either.

GMA definitely had a different idea on how it should be done than most people have today - everything should be smooth and flowing, and you should
sneak into the maneuvers to smooth it out. That's why I didn't put his suggestion in verbatim. That may have been the same thread where he ripped Ted and I (1st and 3rd place at the 2000 NATs) for flying too small and "harshly" and offered that Jim Silhavy would have beaten us easily with his left hand, or something like that. Made that first fly-off extra special for me, I have to say.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here