News:

• May 06, 2024, 05:21:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The beauty and convenience of electric CL  (Read 4667 times)

Offline aba183210

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
The beauty and convenience of electric CL
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
I note how convenient, easy, and practical electric CL is.

1. No need to spend time adjusting and tuning a glow engine.

2. Very quiet-can fly at any place that allows electrics that is big enough without worrying about the noise issue. In Los Angeles County, glow CL has only 2 legal fields.

3. Just plug the battery, turn on the timer and head to the center and get ready.

4. As soon as the flight is done, grab another battery, and repeat. My motor is absolutely cool to the touch after a full throttle 3 min. flight.

5. No need to depend on another person to hold the plane on takeoff.

6. No need to fuel proof anything or clean oily residue from a plane.

All this really was emphasized today. I was the only electric CL flying; I managed to fly 6 times while, in the same time frame, other glow pilots flew only once or twice at the most. The rest of their time was spent tuning the engines, making adjustments, fueling, starting the engine, engaging in conversation, and so on. You see, I like to maximize my flying time and I don't like to spend time in no flying things/this includes all the conversation and small talk I see  at all flying fields.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The beauty and convenience of electric CL
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
Electric is politically correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »
Great that you like your choice. The day I have to switch to electric in order to fly is the day I'm done with flying C/L.

Using a glow engine is one of the primary reasons I enjoy C/L. If i have to explain, doubtful the person asking for the explanation would understand.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
If you fly somewhere other than a regular control line field, make sure you put out traffic cones around the circle and post a lookout.  With no noise to scare them off, pedestrians will walk through your circle.  Even small kids can cause quite a bit of damage to an airplane.  

AMA safety rules require an electric airplane to be restrained whenever it's armed.  Have a person or stooge hold the airplane until you get to the handle.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:38:23 PM »
 "You see, I like to maximize my flying time and I don't like to spend time in no flying things/this includes all the conversation and small talk I see  at all flying fields."

For some the conversations and small talk are a major part of enjoying the hobby.

[/quote]

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
At my last contest, I simply couldn't get everything done:  check engine, etc.  Everyone wanted to talk, talk, talk.  I even headed for the coffee truck three times, but was waylayed by someone wanting to talk. (I finally got coffee).

Floyd

p,s,  glo, electric?  I like both.  You will never convince a glo flyer to take up electric at this stage.  The two camps have settled in, and, like politics or religion, your preaching will not change their life, or their flying preference.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
The flying with other people is part of the commeradery.   Also isn't it in the safety code that an electric powered plane has to be restrainedeven after landing until the battery/power supply is disconnected?  Of course I guess if you anchor the handle in full down mode it might be okay.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
Ignoring my better judgment to take the bait of a troll'ish kind of post... I will say:

How odd... That is almost the dead OPPOSITE of my experience...

I just roll out of bed, toss my stuff in the van and just go to the field. When I get to the field, I drop my plane on the line, hook up lines, fuel up, spinner flip, look at the needle position, yup, it's hot out, put it at 6 o'clock, oh, it's cool out, 4 o'clock... and put in a pattern. I can usually put up as many flights as I have fuel... a gallon gets me 16 flights on a 8 oz tank and I can put up as many back to back flights as I want, engine temp is a non issue. I have a stooge if no-one is around, but find it is safer to fly with other people to chase people out from wandering into the circle.

The epower guys I fly with have to either spend time pre-charge batteries at home, or bring them up out of storage mode at the field to top them off. Hook up the meter to make sure they are as charged as the charger says they are. Oh, it's hot out? Get out the programmer while it's on it's back, set the rpm/gain, or oh, it's cold out? ... same thing the other way. Then they bring a plane stand to the flight line, flip their planes on their backs, pull the cowl, install a fresh battery, shim it, Velcro it, and connect wires, make sure everything isn't going to come loose and blow off the magnetic cowl at the bottom of a square, then go to the flight line, put in an arming plug, hit a button, wait for the delay, then take off...  rinse lather and repeat.

Shew! I sure feel like my way is much less effort! PLUS...No standing around playing mother hen to batteries, and not worrying about balancing batteries or putting them into storage mode after flying. I just give one quick wipe with a paper towel under the rudder, stick it back in the van and I am done!

It is all in how you perceive things and your comfort level in doing them. Poking a little fun at your expense aside, I am very happy you found a system you like and are comfortable with. As long as you are having fun, it's all good!

EricV

1. No need to spend time adjusting and tuning a glow engine.

2. Very quiet-can fly at any place that allows electrics that is big enough without worrying about the noise issue. In Los Angeles County, glow CL has only 2 legal fields.

3. Just plug the battery, turn on the timer and head to the center and get ready.

4. As soon as the flight is done, grab another battery, and repeat. My motor is absolutely cool to the touch after a full throttle 3 min. flight.

5. No need to depend on another person to hold the plane on takeoff.

6. No need to fuel proof anything or clean oily residue from a plane.

All this really was emphasized today. I was the only electric CL flying; I managed to fly 6 times while, in the same time frame, other glow pilots flew only once or twice at the most. The rest of their time was spent tuning the engines, making adjustments, fueling, starting the engine, engaging in conversation, and so on. You see, I like to maximize my flying time and I don't like to spend time in no flying things/this includes all the conversation and small talk I see  at all flying fields.

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
My Fox and my Ringmaster; they comfort me.
De Hill

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
What did Clint say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 02:27:46 PM »
Hmmm,, my experience is much the same as Eric's.

Get home from work 6pm. Eat dinner with the family.
At 7:05 pm stick plane, fuel box, and tool box in the truck.
Drive to said flying field, unload and setup plane and stooge.
Fly 3 patterns in a row 8oz per flight with one flip starts EVERY TIME!
Wipe off the bottom of the rudder.
Pack up the gear and head to the house and walk in the door at 8:00 pm.

Pretty straight forward stuff.

But hey to each his own.

The real truth is once you have your rig really working you can fly back to back all day.
Or you can hang your buddies and talk.

I like doing both!!

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »
    I'm up to 15 flights on my electric Ringmaster--this being the first model I've flown on electric power.  All of previously mentioned comments are true and are nice.  One of the few draw backs is being limited by the number of batteries one brings to the field, unless you bring a feild charger with you I suppose (not possible here).

I would caution anyone flying electric without sufficient restraint prior to takeoff.  I still took the time and effort to ship out my stooge out here, and I do not fly without it.  It seems really tempting to hit the button and run out to the handle; even I thought of the possibility prior to coming out here.  There are just too many possibilities and too much potential for disaster to fly without either a stooge or someone holding and releasing the model.  Safety first folks  H^^

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 02:56:55 PM »
Has anyone checked out the pictures in Stunt News where the fellow burned up his battery pack and other items? No thanks! R%%%%   

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
Fire and flames are more likely with electrons. Despite that, I bought a charger and two Li-Ion batteries this Spring. Came with an electric drill; Makita made them. I use the Makita batteries to spin up my electric finger to start my OS .46VF AAC.

For what it's worth, watching/judging OTS, Classic, Profile, Beginner and Intermediate events this past weekend, the problems with IC power are self-induced by sport fliers who simply haven't figured out that they need to be ready to go, know their equipment, and have their fuel load figured out and on board when their turn to fly comes up. Maybe it takes a few contests to learn the harsh reality, and maybe some will never learn that. When our group of stunt grunts goes to practice at Auburn Muni, flights generally go off in short order...but sometimes it's the electron burners that hold up the show. Rebooting or something, IDK.  ??? Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »
      Howard it doesn't have to be just a quiet electric that people will walk in front of. In Baton Rouge three times in the last 10 years guys flying unmuffled Foxes and piped motored stunters had people walk in the path, or almost in the path  of the planes. One time was a man and his young son together.
        Doug

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »
My Fox and my Ringmaster; they comfort me.
Thou has anointed thyself with castor.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
That's why we put out those orange safety cones. You can't fix stupid, but it looks better on the accident report forms to say that you had the circle surrounded by 44 safety cones.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
Show you setup. Please.... ??? ::) #^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »
Show you setup. Please.... ??? ::) #^

Go here: List your Setup.  It may not have this setup, but it's got lots and lots of them.  And they're everything from super-economical to super-delux, so you can find a setup that fits your budget and inclinations.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
I posted my baby ringer setups in the electric forum.

Where I fly, spectators or even other CL pilots are not an issue because the CL area of Whittier Narrows is often deserted-I am the only one there very frequently. The busy day tends to be on Fridays for those who bring their stunt CL planes. The weekends tend to be more Speed and Combat.

There is a concrete runway for Navy Carrier that is in the same area as that of the combat people, but unless you bring your own grass trimming tools, it is often unusable because the overgrown grass all around that runway-this will tangle your lines on takeoff.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »
   Ain't no 'lectric motor has that distinctive growl of a SuperTigre! Pick your poison, ST.35..40..46,.51, or .60. Music to my ears!
   And then there is the perfume that comes with running one!!!! y1 y1 y1
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »
That is the nice thing about flying ignition 60's. Everyone scatters. Little girls hide behind trees and cars. The bellow of an Anderson Spitfire strikes fear in the heart of all those close to the circle. No reason for cones except for that one person that has no clue or fear. The ones that win the Darwin award from time to time.

No starter battery to mess with. Fuel can be much cheaper and less of it used. Besides, a couple of flights on a sparker is all the exercise a person needs in a day. I have opened up the Orwick on my 64 ounce Taurus with a 12-6 prop to where it was flying 4 second laps on 67' lines running in a 2-4 break.

So yeah, Ignition is the way to go. It has all the advantages.  S?P
Jim Kraft

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »
Another nice thing about electric that hasn't been mentioned is the safety factor that electric  flyers don't have to adjust needle valves very close to a whirling prop!  We just press a button and walk to the center of the circle.  No flipping the model over, no adjustments to needle valves, etc.  You get the picture.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »
The flying with other people is part of the commeradery.   Also isn't it in the safety code that an electric powered plane has to be restrainedeven after landing until the battery/power supply is disconnected?  Of course I guess if you anchor the handle in full down mode it might be okay.

No, it is not in the safety code anywhere. It appears only in the CL Stunt competition rules.

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »
Fox .35s forever!  (But then, at my age, "forever" is an iffy concept.)   y1

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
I like electric. But fly what makes you happy.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 11:03:51 PM »
"You see, I like to maximize my flying time and I don't like to spend time in no flying things/this includes all the conversation and small talk I see  at all flying fields."

For some the conversations and small talk are a major part of enjoying the hobby.

Amen!  I just wished an old high school friend "Happy Birthday and Thanks for a million memories ..." and I graduated from high school 59 years ago.  Still keep in touch with several (some almost daily) of my old flying buddies from those days.  We don't always remember our airplanes/engines, but I'll never forget the guys and good times!

And I really cherish those.  To each his own ...

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 07:07:35 AM »
Why mess with IC or electric when you could do dynajet (or OS jet)?  Just ask Dan B or Mike P.

Oh, and there is little concern that someone might not notice them and accidently walk into the circle while they are flying... ;D

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 10:36:51 AM »
I fly both. I fly on Fridays at the original posters same field.
I like the ease and cleanliness of electric ships, but I think that glow powered is a bit safer. If course, the object is only as safe as the operator, as with anything.

The small talk issue, well, you're a bit of a loner, so you're in the minority. I also want to fly as much as possible, and all my C/L flying buddies know that. I usually fly every other flight, between each of them. They love having me as their enthusiastic new guy. Some of them fly one flight only, sometimes no flights at all.
It's not all about the flying for most of these guys. They are friends that have a common hobby, and they use their hobby as a tool to socialize.
I'm fortunate to have a buddy with great glow tuning knowledge. I'm picking his brain all the time. Some guys get it, some never will. But it doesn't seem overly hard to tune a glow setup, and once it's dialed, they seem pretty reliable.
Long and short, for me, I like glow on profile planes and electric in full body stunters.
R,
Target/Chris Behm
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
I'm really not afraid of LiPo.  But, just to be safe, I charge my batteries outside, on the concrete driveway.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »
   Ain't no 'lectric motor has that distinctive growl of a SuperTigre! Pick your poison, ST.35..40..46,.51, or .60. Music to my ears!
   And then there is the perfume that comes with running one!!!! y1 y1 y1
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I second this, ST60 FTW!  <=

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
I guess that what I'm about to add to this conversation; has been circulating for some time. So here goes..."I think that electric stunt ships should be flown (sanctioned completion) in an electric category and I/Cs flown in their own category. There! Got that off my chest. No need for details as to why. Self explanatory. (previous comments)  H^^
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 12:07:41 AM »
Fox .35s forever!  (But then, at my age, "forever" is an iffy concept.)   y1

Jeez, Mikey, I thought you'd be a K&B Greenhead sort of guy! What the Fox?   LL~  Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
I guess that what I'm about to add to this conversation; has been circulating for some time. So here goes..."I think that electric stunt ships should be flown (sanctioned completion) in an electric category and I/Cs flown in their own category. There! Got that off my chest. No need for details as to why. Self explanatory. (previous comments)  H^^
Norm

Where were the guys that wanted to keep them separate back when the proposal was made to be inclusive? S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »
Where were the guys that wanted to keep them separate back when the proposal was made to be inclusive? S?P

My opinion...way back when, fell on deaf ears. Heard a lot of "get over it...it's inevitable!"  Peace  H^^
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »
I sadly note aba183210 did what seems to be a drive by...but hey that's cool...I personally encourage anyone to play with their toys any way they desire...

BUT I tend to get a little testy when I detect a nose in the air attitude that I am not doing it correctly---- in their opinion...does not mater...gun choice, brand of house shingles...whatever..... I tire of folks who see I already spent XX$$$$ for product A and they proclaim I was stupid and product B is so much better...go away a__ hole

Back to IC (gas, glow, or diesel), Rubber, Gravity, Wind, or electrons...who really cares

I thoroughly enjoy playing with Glow fuel and 2 stroke engines...4 strokes are cool but not for me

I might eventually have a electric plane or two but I know they will not endear me as much as hearing a glow engine dig in and clime to the top of the hemisphere

For some reason a electron motor being chased by a Nelson N36c in fast combat Bladder Grabber just seems WRONG... but hey some of the electron stuff out there is way cool and I am happy there are guys playing with it, winning, and going home with a grin
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here