News:

• May 28, 2024, 05:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 2012 USA Team is..........  (Read 9823 times)

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: The 2012 USA Team is..........
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »
I have graduated from college, let’s see what happened the first two weeks of my very first year......I can’t remember.  I was really all such a blur at that point. 

You would never miss this opportunity to represent the USA at the world level, no matter what the event.  It will go a long way on your resume, most if not all college entrance personnel are going to understand this as well as the professors.  It’s not about model airplanes as much as it is about being at the top level of an event attended by people from all over the world coordinated by a worldwide organization such as the FAI.

Don’t wait to start school.  Depending on where you are going the first two weeks of your freshman year are pretty much a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of it.

Just work it out with entrance administration.  Shouldn’t be a problem.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
I have graduated from college, let’s see what happened the first two weeks of my very first year......I can’t remember.  I was really all such a blur at that point. 

You would never miss this opportunity to represent the USA at the world level, no matter what the event.  It will go a long way on your resume, most if not all college entrance personnel are going to understand this as well as the professors.  It’s not about model airplanes as much as it is about being at the top level of an event attended by people from all over the world coordinated by a worldwide organization such as the FAI.

Don’t wait to start school.  Depending on where you are going the first two weeks of your freshman year are pretty much a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of it.

Just work it out with entrance administration.  Shouldn’t be a problem.

That was my way of thinking.  It's not like I'm missing two weeks of my junior or senior year where everything starts to matter and you take classes within your major.

I talked with my old math teacher today (she is more of an honest to goodness friend rather than a teacher) about the team trials, and I told her that the worlds were in September right when college starts, and she said she can't imagine a college not letting you miss class to attend a world competition.  She said that word would get out and it might even hurt the school's reputation a little bit.  She also said to be very upfront with them and let them know in the application, don't wait until July to tell them.

There is a college fair in two days, and the colleges that I am interested in going to are going to be there, and I fully intend to talk to them about this in detail, to see what they, as a school would do.

And also, what looks better? Representing the USA in a world championship competition overseas, or two weeks of college. I am going to miss stuff, but it's two weeks out of four years.  What about the athletes that play football on Saturday's? or march Madness? They're missing class time also, so it's not like I'm the only one in the whole country who would be missing some time.
Matt Colan

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
Well, it is entirely up to Matt.  Certainly discuss it with the college reps of the schools you are interested in.  A chat with your HS Guidance Counselor wouldn't hurt.  You have been active in CLPA for some time and apparently are keeping your grades up.  That is a good sign.

BTW, I think I read that you were interested in Embry Riddle Aeronautical University.  They have two campuses, one in Florida and one in Arizona.  I believe the Florida campus is a bit of a party school.  My oldest son wanted to go there for his second year in 1986, but they book up way ahead.  The Arizona campus was available and that is where he went.  It is in Prescott, AZ, out in the open, miles away from everything.  He attended for one year and then decided it wasn't for him.  He stayed in that area and got a decent job.  Today, he knocks down six figures and a bonus.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
I think the best question is who the hell is responsible for scheduling the WCs in September and why the hell did they do it?

To my knowledge it has never been done like this before............

Derek

World Champs are awarded to a country that makes an offer to host. 2012 had an offer from Bulgaria and one from Argentina (as I recall). While early September is later than the norm, Argentina would have likely been later since July/August is mid-winter there. And September is not without precedent. The 1984 World Champs in the United States was in late September or October (memory gets stale as old age creeps upon you! ) and 1994 saw the World Champs in China in mid-October. In 1998, Kiev hosted them in late August at a time that conflicted with eh British NATs. (Lots of b*tching about that!)

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »
(memory gets stale as old age creeps upon you! )
Bill

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ;D

Thanks for the info Bill.

Derek

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
It's not unknown for a WC to be scheduled for Sept.-Oct. in the Southern Hemisphere.  March-April would be good for a WC in the Southern Hemisphere. The Euro's want it at the end of their flying season, not at the beginning. Did I mention that the Euro's have the votes and leverage with the FAI to make it handy for them, even though it almost guarantees that the weather will stink?  %^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
Peter, that is a pretty strong message, but I tend to agree with you about delaying college entry for a semester.  Certainly, when Matt gets back from abroad, his mind will be full of memories and starting school immediately upon his return will be a reality slap.  It might be difficult to get his feet back on the ground and his mind on his studies.

If he was my son, I would suggest lining up a job for when he returns and sock away a few dollars to help defray school costs.  Then, in January, he can start school with a clear head.

I would have worded it more softly if I had not gone through this with one of my kids. He was offered several Football scholarships, that he managed to completely mess up by deciding to play it a bit fast and loose at the very start of classes. Now he has a bunch of school loans to repay and does not even have a degree to show for it. Once you register and accept loans and grants, then the clock starts. Also you get locked out of popular courses because they fill up faster than lightning and if you are a No Show then your slot gets given to the next student, it's as simple as that. Good Colleges have become High Competition Zones.

If you were going to a community university then thing are a bit more lax (although even there it has become more competitive) At top notch schools it's eat or be eaten. Believe me, the first week and it's all about, meal plans, course registration, dorm assignments, orientation, grant and loan paperwork finalization, counsellor consultations, book purchases and a whole load more stuff.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
Matt is a smart young man and I am sure that he will make the decision that will work best for him. Congrats again Matt on a good show this past weekend!

Derek

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
I would have worded it more softly if I had not gone through this with one of my kids. He was offered several Football scholarships, that he managed to completely mess up by deciding to play it a bit fast and loose at the very start of classes. Now he has a bunch of school loans to repay and does not even have a degree to show for it. Once you register and accept loans and grants, then the clock starts. Also you get locked out of popular courses because they fill up faster than lightning and if you are a No Show then your slot gets given to the next student, it's as simple as that. Good Colleges have become High Competition Zones.

If you were going to a community university then thing are a bit more lax (although even there it has become more competitive) At top notch schools it's eat or be eaten. Believe me, the first week and it's all about, meal plans, course registration, dorm assignments, orientation, grant and loan paperwork finalization, counsellor consultations, book purchases and a whole load more stuff.

I'll bet that all that stuff can be settled in advance.  There's not much choice in first-semester courses anyhow, and you aren't going to know the lowdown on which teachers and classes to pick until you're there for awhile. 

If you're taking engineering, just be sure that the school is ABET accredited and has a good reputation in the industry.   The rinky-dink schools have the best sales pitches.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2011, 04:30:50 AM »
Id turn around and say to the college & parental units.. :

" As part of my life experience & college entrance - I have decided to travel abroad and spend a few weeks studying aeronautical engineering, I will have daily tutoring from a former Boeing Aerospace engineer, and immerse myself in the aeronautical culture by attending the World Championships of Model aviation - I will submit a 2000 essay on how the experience enriched my acedemics skills and start the first chapter of my adult life experiences. "

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 05:33:41 AM »
I'm going to talk to my guidance counselor today to discuss colleges and start getting my act together. I'm going to talk to him about this "situaton" with the worlds and college and see what he thinks
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 05:48:08 AM »
At my old school at least, you could take some summer school classes between finishing up high school and entering college.  This could have two benefits: you could reduce your freshman year workload to make the Worlds easier, and you would have more time to party once you are at your college.
Steve

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »
Sounds like Matt C is approaching this in a pretty sensible way.

I like the idea of getting classes, and whatever else, done beforehand if that is possible at the college in question.

Now that you have a Team... (I'm not American) what is the experience on judging between Team Trials in USA and the World Champs? Same? Some nationalities with different emphasis?

What about the opposition? Igor Burger did great at Euro Champs. Who is good in the rest of the world?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »
I just Talked to my guidance counselor, and he said I really shouldn't have to worry about he dates as long as I let my proffesors know ahead of time. A lot of schools now have stuff online that keep track of classes, and I could do it ahead of time, as long as they know. Also, I could do some of it on the plane ride there and/or back.
Matt Colan

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Matt, go fly, what an experience, make arrangements with your college, you will be OK!!!! Now get started on the Thundergazer. H^^ Ron.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
Back when I was single and running around with the guys, some were still in high school, I would tell them education comes first.   The conflict that Matt has with school and the World Champs is his decision.  Maybe he could delay the start f college to the second semester or term.   The thrill of a World Champs and the travel to it is an experience he can't get in college.  This is a once in a life time thing.  Matt, it is your decision to make.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
...   The thrill of a World Champs and the travel to it is an experience he can't get in college.  This is a once in a life time thing.  Matt, it is your decision to make.   H^^

Don't forget all those hot Bulgarian chicks over there too!   n~
Steve

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
Sounds like he has it all figured out. Get busy building that plane and contact me if you have any questions about the take apart system that Dave and I used. I have a lot of pictures (I think you have a lot of them too) but I can always take more if you run into problems.

Good Luck!

Derek

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
I talked to the four main colleges I was interested in today, and told them what I was doing.  They were all really impressed, and they said it shouldn't really be a problem missing almost two weeks of classes, as long as I contact my professors ahead of time, tell them what I'm doing, and such.  Usually they will also post the notes online, and assignments so I could possibly do some of it while I'm there (I doubt that would happen but who knows).

It looks like I'll be for sure going to the Worlds!!!!  #^
Matt Colan

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
You guys all missed it!

That is: we spent all this effort picking the team and a 1st and 2nd Alternate.  What do you guys think an alternate is supposed to do anyway??

If I was one of the Alternates, I would realize that it is my duty to fill in for Matt!  Let's see, where's my old freshman beanie...?

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »

;D
Matt Colan

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
I think the best question is who the hell is responsible for scheduling the WCs in September and why the hell did they do it?

To my knowledge it has never been done like this before............

Derek

Actually, it has and it sucked.  The US hosted the W/C's in 1984 in September.  To those with questions, it is very tough being in college and missing time for this.  I tried.  The school part worked out fine, but the flying didn't.  No time for practice in the 3-4 weeks running up to the contest.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »
You guys all missed it!

That is: we spent all this effort picking the team and a 1st and 2nd Alternate.  What do you guys think an alternate is supposed to do anyway??

If I was one of the Alternates, I would realize that it is my duty to fill in for Matt!  Let's see, where's my old freshman beanie...?

No alternate lifestyle for me.
I belong to the JCT.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
hot bulgarian women huh?  didja google that?

check this: http://old.vagabond.bg/index.php?page=akcent&id=1463

yikes, reminds me of the ukraine in 98

(shiver)

b

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
hot bulgarian women huh?  didja google that?

check this: http://old.vagabond.bg/index.php?page=akcent&id=1463

yikes, reminds me of the ukraine in 98

(shiver)

b

Ok, ok, maybe I should have googled it first.  That was scary.  Better Matt than me!   n~
Steve

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2011, 04:23:28 AM »
hot bulgarian women huh? 

I think some of them also read this forum  VD~  LL~

Offline Tania Uzunova

• Commander
  • It's something more about gravity ...
    • www.indoorgeebee.com
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2011, 04:43:16 AM »
read read and smiling :)))))))))))))))))))))))))  S?P

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2011, 04:47:11 AM »
I knew you will not resist  LL~

Offline Tania Uzunova

• Commander
  • It's something more about gravity ...
    • www.indoorgeebee.com
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 05:48:18 AM »
hmm this is not the only :) post in which i see something written for Bulgaria :))) but from side is more interesting ;) so that's the reason to stay quiet :)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 09:08:35 AM »
Since this thread is active again, I think I should mention that the colleges I'm interested in have said it shouldn't be a problem. One of the admissions people at Embry-Riddle (my first choice college) did some follow up and talked to the VP of academics about my situation and it shouldn't be a problem. They would treat it like a student athlete going away for sports. Also, if I went there, I would be able to go to freshman orientation and the first day of classes before I would have to get on a plane and head home. My second choice school, Florida Institute of Technology, they start their year a week before the traditional start date so I would be able to go to almost a week of classes before I have to head home.

Also the thundergazer is under construction. The rudder is built, fuselage framed up and parts for the wing have been made. Last night, I made the mold for the turtle deck. Today might be more mold making or getting some of the wing built.
Matt Colan

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
I know in some of his posts that Matt has expressed a desire to get an Aviation related degree, Engineering or Commercial Pilot. I encouraged him to look at Engineering  or Maintenance over Pilot ( sorry pilot types- a grad Aeronautical Engineer doesn't necessarily have to hot bunk w/6 guys in a 2 bedroom while flying right seat on a commuter to get hrs), you have more options and no mandatory retirement or other restrictions on employment. And after a few years he will probably be making enough $$  to pay for flight instruction.  It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Matt is building a full scale while attending college.

Making the World Champion Team in an aviation related event should be mentioned at any recruiting / college fairs, and on any resumes created for jobs / scholarships. Winning the big enchilada would make that a primary achievement, to be proudly highlightedand brought to the attention of any prospective college / employer.

And I have not forgoten my pledge to support his Adventure in International Competition - just have to get some past due expense reports done to free up some cash. Iguess I need to spend less time here also ;}

Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
Bill:  You're right on that one!  Good advice (which I followed many years ago.)

So, in 1974 I am working in the aerospace industry and taking flying lessons on the weekend.  And then one day while I am buzzing around in a Cessna 150 building hours it suddenly occurs to me that this is not nearly as much fun as flying my model airplanes.  So, I landed and never went back!

As a kid I wanted to be a pilot and fly an airplane.  Found out the ones I like flying best are the ones I can load in the back of my van.....

Scott

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here