News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Techniques for flying in the wind..  (Read 20480 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Techniques for flying in the wind..
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 04:34:56 AM »
Normally I like finishing the landing roll at the field box.

Came in hot once, Hit the box ,dead centre. The plane stopped, the box flew fwd 3 or 4 feet .

Didnt damadge the plane THIS time  .             The trick seems to be to hit it dead centre . . .

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:01 AM »
Normally I like finishing the landing roll at the field box.

Came in hot once, Hit the box ,dead centre. The plane stopped, the box flew fwd 3 or 4 feet .

Didnt damadge the plane THIS time  .             The trick seems to be to hit it dead centre . . .

Do you mean stopping with the ol' spinner trick?   8)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »
Never hit a tree, I have aimed at a trash can or two using the wing over technique, a stick that was used in the balloon bust event, got an ankle bone one time landing a Goodyear by the way Jimmy W. how is your ankle, lets see what else other airplanes in a combat match, a pit box at least once.  %^@

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
I flew one of Dale Gleason's old Flight Streaks into a tree.

I did this AT Dale Gleason's house too.   Then I proceeded to eat his fried fish....mmmm yummy!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:01:51 PM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »
I have to agree with Derek Biasing causes shape issues in some cases can actually cause more speed variance during the maneuver.  

I know this because I used to Bias religiously!!!  One of the worst is to bias the outside square to the fliers left.  What happens here is the plane begins to slow as it flys at 45 degrees into the wind.  Then you go down input for a 90 degree turn and the wind will speed it up as it goes toward the ground.  Not a good combination.  Your speed variance in this case will be very large.  Move the maneuver so that the middle of bottom will be dead down wind.  You will give your starting input just a small distance past down wind before the plane has slowed.  The down leg will be at a speed more in line with 45 degree speed.  The up leg on the other side wont be in heart of the wind pressure as well.

On the round loops if you are biasing it will be slow on one side and fast on one side.  The judges will be out of place as well as they will most likely be dead up wind.  If you go dead down wind you the speed variance will probably still be there but it will be more even across the maneuver.  Also when biasing the wind will be pushing on it causing the loops to possibly go out of round.  If you are getting alot of windup you can take one step towards the plane as it speeds up.  This will ease up the heavy tension and ease the pressure on the plane as well.  This will be three steps during rounds.  So remember to get back to center once you have completed the maneuver.

I start biasing when I havent flown in long time out of old habit.  As soon as I quit I can tell the pattern starts looking better.

I want to second what BB says about taking off with wind on the planes back.  I think some people begin to think if they start with wind at is back it will help push it along and get it going before take off.  BB is right on many aspects here.  First the nose over.  Once the model is released with wind at its back its air speed is slower than its ground speed (I may not have that correct but I think you know what I mean).  This is not good for lift.  The moment you give it any input and bring the elevators in an up or level position the plane wont take off due to lack of lift.  Plus the wind pressure on the elevator from behind will nose it over and there wont be enough air for lift yet and you eat your prop.  I see this at all levels of competition.  On pavement I like to take off just past dead down wind heading into the wind for the vary reasons BB said.  Maybe I am just 10' past, just enough to not have any wind on its back what so ever.  On pavement you will have plenty of speed to get it in the air with control  Once the plane is in the air even going slow you have control over it.  A step or two back while coming up to speed and you go it no problem.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:23:37 PM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here