News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Model Avition but if You're into Mechanical Things, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1757 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I want one for Christmas.

Bob Z.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Bob
Kind of reminds me of the Bulova Acutron I used to wear.  It's used a tuning fork for accuracy.  The Acutron was so accurate it put the Swiss government out of business of certifying watches as chronometers.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Here's my Accutron. I bought it for my Dad in 1969.
He wore it nearly every day right up to the last.
I came back to me and it's still accurate as ever.
The only watch that hums instead of ticking.

Bob Z.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Wow, I haven't seen anything like that since they issued me a pager with a digital time indicator, maybe 25 years ago.  I got ahead of the curve and quit wearing a watch three years BEFORE I retired. 

With digital time indicators on every possible device, why bother?

PS:  The late Bob Uffer, U of M football commentator, coined the phrase; "digital time indicator" when U of M installed one in the stadium.  He (and I) refused to call a device with no hands, a "clock".

PPS: To the younger readers, a "pager" was an invention of The Devil that buzzed and expected you to find a pay phone (oh forget it) and call somebody.
Paul Smith

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
I want one for Christmas.

Bob Z.

Hey, I found one on sale -- a $60,000 savings!

$340,000 Limited Edition Jaeger-LeCoultre Gyrotourbillon 1 watch for sale

A limited edition Jaeger-LeCoultre Gyrotourbillon 1 watch is now available at SoKoBe.com.
With only 20 pieces produced each year since 2004, the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gyrotourbillon 1 watch is a  highly sought-after collector’s item valued at $400,000. Seventy-five Jaeger-LeCoultre Gyrotourbillon 1 watches were made worldwide.

Sorta makes you wanna throw your crummy $20,000 Rolex under the wheels of a train, huh?

Larry Fulwider

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Bob
Kind of reminds me of the Bulova Acutron I used to wear.  It's used a tuning fork for accuracy.  The Acutron was so accurate it put the Swiss government out of business of certifying watches as chronometers.
Clancy

Hi.

Actually, it was the quartz watch that allmost killed the Swiss chronometer (or actually the whole mechanical watch-) industry. Tuning fork watch is a beautifull thing but it kind of came in a bad time, just before quartz watches. In stabile conditions it runs quite precicely but the rate is still affected by air pressure and G-forces. Plus that the mechanism is VERY sensitive to incorrect handling and dirt.
 I adore mechanical watches. Mechanical watch means the same in watchmaking as what control-line flying is in aeromodelling in general.
 By the way, I live just 300 metres from Jaeger-Le Coultre factory! L

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Reminds me of a gyroscope.

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
No longer have my Accutron service data but the heart of the mechanism is a wheel with 300 saw tooth shaped teeth on the edge, driven directly by the tuning fork via a finger with a ruby jewel tip on it. If my memory serves me correctly, the wheel was about 30 thousandths of an inch diameter. I did some work on one that was a gift to a friend for a deal he did in Alaska. It had small gold nuggets all around the bezel.
Don

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here