News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank Shape and Fuel Tank End Cap  (Read 380 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tank Shape and Fuel Tank End Cap
« on: April 10, 2024, 09:13:18 PM »
I've been using the Brodak uniflow wide wedge (1x2x4oz) tanks with great success. Do the deep wedge uniflow (1-7/16x2)  tanks work as well? I need to go to 5oz but don't have the length on my proflie nose.

Has anyone found a way to get the end cap off a tank without cooking the tin off the thing?

Thanks, MM 8) 

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tank Shape and Fuel Tank End Cap
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 09:30:34 PM »
I've been using the Brodak uniflow wide wedge (1x2x4oz) tanks with great success. Do the deep wedge uniflow (1-7/16x2)  tanks work as well? I need to go to 5oz but don't have the length on my proflie nose.

Has anyone found a way to get the end cap off a tank without cooking the tin off the thing?

Thanks, MM 8)

Just heat it on an electric stove burner. Set it on the burner, increase the heat until the solder flows, the pop it off. Flush the fuel out of it first with some water. I've been using the taller, thicker tanks for several years and building my own.
   Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 10:25:29 PM »
     Just heat it on an electric stove burner. Set it on the burner, increase the heat until the solder flows, the pop it off. Flush the fuel out of it first with some water. I've been using the taller, thicker tanks for several years and building my own.
   Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee

+1 on the stove, as long as you keep it just warm enough to melt solder and don't get in a hurry, comes right off and leaves no other damage.

Brett

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 06:17:07 AM »
MM, +2 on the stove or hot plate. The deep tank will work just fine, kick the back end out 1/8" or so and get the vent up in the free airstream above the fuse profile (I use a clip off the back engine mount bolt).

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here