News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank Height  (Read 999 times)

Offline DanielGelinas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tank Height
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
Hello,

I am putting together an arf oriental.
I have always had profiles, so this is my first full fuselage plane.
I have been reading a lot on this forum trying to educate myself as best I can since I am a lonely cowboy... knowone in my area flies control line.

Anyhow, from what I have been reading, it seems like tank height is less critical for a stunt run than in a profile. Is this correct?

If not, how do you go about adjusting tank height? And especially on an ARF oriental where the tank hatch is on the bottom.

Thanks for any hints,

-Daniel H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tank Height
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
There are various ways to adjust the "tank height". Shims usually on a full fuselage. However, if you are using a uniflow tank, you can simply adjust the location of the uniflow vent where it ends inside the tank (assuming it's a fixed uniflow vent). If you go with one that is tied to the clunk, then you are back to shimming.

I think you are in Canada? Could you fix your profile to show your location? There are a bunch of guys in Winnipeg and one or two in Saskatoon. If we know where you are located, it might (might not) be of some help.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »
Hi Steve,

I have a metal uniflow tank recommended by Brodak, all tubes forward.
So, I guess I can either shim the tank or open the tank and move the uniflow tube. I think shimming will be more simple. The way to tell how many shims is to fly the plane inverted?
Essentially, the same tank mods as in a profile?

I live a few miles north of Vermont...

Thanks,

-Daniel

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
The usual deal is to put the tank about 1/4" high (above the spraybar CL) and shim it down to make it perfect. That's not always easy with a kit, and even harder with an ARF/ARC. Planning ahead is your friend. Da Dirt says it's better to do "lazy eights" to adjust tank height so rpm is same in insides and outsides, and he's usually right. y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
In the arf it is going to be a little bit tougher to shim the tank since being able to move it "up" (with the model on its wheels) is not built into the model.  If you can get mounting pads under the engine, that will give you 1/8" to move "up".  Moving the tank below the engine is very seldom needed.  Usually (depending on engine) it will need to go "up' to equalize the inverted run.  I usually do not have to go much more than 1/8th".  Moving it "up" leans out the inverted run.

When building a model I use pads for 1/8th" and slim down the mounts by 1/8th" behind the first former (in the tank compartment area).  This gives me a 1/4" overall to move "up" but I have never needed to go the full 1/4".  Make sense?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

Anyhow, from what I have been reading, it seems like tank height is less critical for a stunt run than in a profile. Is this correct?

If you mean is a side mounted engine less critical than an upright or invert mounted engine then the answer is no. Being a profile shouldn't factor into tank positioning here.

They are all simply different in their needs.

With an invert mount engine you could gouge out some of the bearer that the tank rests up against to gain room IF you need to, and its not too difficult to do. Or custom make a thinner tank to allow more wiggle room.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
Hi Bill,

Can you or anyone show me a picture of mounting pads you would use to adjust tank height please?

Thanks,

-d H^^

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »
here ya go , simple, no horse apples. wedge or pick point in tank must be on the same center line as the nva for upright  or inverted mount. side mount pick up needs to be on center of thrust or engine if you want it to run the same upside down as right side up. this very important.jim

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi Bill,

Can you or anyone show me a picture of mounting pads you would use to adjust tank height please?

Thanks,

-d H^^

HI Dan,

They are the 1/8th" pads that Tom Morris (and CLC) sell.  It drops the trustline 1/8th" in an arf, but that should not be a problem.  The spinner is not online with out some trimming.  By dropping the engine 1/8th" you give yourself 1/8" of an inch to raise the tank.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
how is that going to work on a profile?  and how do you lower the motor imto the mounts on a conventional mount?  ::)  ??? :o HB~> n~ like the commercial. why not just put the tank in the right place in the first place? I'm confuzzled <-- conjunction=confused + puzzled  jim

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
how is that going to work on a profile?  and how do you lower the motor imto the mounts on a conventional mount?  ::)  ??? :o HB~> n~ like the commercial. why not just put the tank in the right place in the first place? I'm confuzzled <-- conjunction=confused + puzzled  jim

HI Jim,

Dan is working on the full fuselage version ARF.  On a profile it's not a problem to move the tank.

Simply putting the tank flat on the engine mounts in a full fuselage plane doesn't always work with some of (most of) the modern engines.  They will want to run richer when the plane is inverted.  So you have to raise the tank (with the model on its wheels) to even out the run.  It seems to be somewhat a result of uniflow tanks.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:51:16 AM »
In my experience, the level of the fuel pickup is not important, so long as it picks up fuel.  What is important is the level of the uniflow outlet in the tank.  Mine come out very close to the level of the spraybar, maybe 1/16 either way at most, which I ascribe to my inability to remember exactly where the uniflow is in the tank. S?P

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here