News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Take apart plane for traveling flying  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Take apart plane for traveling flying
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
I have decided that i have to build a take apart C/L plane to bring along on the road. When i am at home there are just too many things backed up on the Honey Do list to get any flying in. Any pictures, ideas, tricks you might have will be appreciated - just no $1000 pre-builts.
Something that is able to fit within the dmensions of standard checked baggage size limits on an airline - average for US airlines is 62" ( L+W+H ) means either max WS in the 36-40" range or a 2 piece wing. Maybe removable wingtips are an option, removable stab / elevator is a must, but pretty easy to do - same with the rudder.

Lets brainstorm- modifying existing kits / ARC 1st choice, I don't get much building time either.

Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Take apart plane for traveling flying
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »
It's pretty easy to make the TF ARF Nobler a take-apart.  The NoblARF sounds like the solution you seek. A Brodak .40 or RM .40 would be perfect. Either will run happily on the average R/C fuel, so you could buy a quart here 'n there, as you need it, and abandon it without guilt. Spare parts...glowplugs and a spare needle valve assembly come to mind...props...not in the carry-on luggage. Glow ignitors could be a problem.  A battery clip from Radio Smack, a bit of zip cord and the clip of your choice would work. Not sure if batteries are a problem, but you could buy a couple of Alkyline C or D cells locally and leave them in your rental car. (?)  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:20:24 PM »
Most of the ARFs lend themselves to be made into take-apart.
I have done it with the Vector 40 - both the ARF and kit version - pretty easy to do - I have pics if you are interested.

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »
Both wings would have to detach separately to meet that baggage spec.  That leaves out the original Impact method I used and probably most ARFs, although I am not an ARFster, so I don't know.  Three methods come to mind: the Yatsenko method, the B-17 method, and the scheme that uses Tom Morris hardware.  No brainstorming required: it's been done.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:03:42 AM »
Bill
This was posted on brotherhoodofthering.info.

"Brothers and Sisters,
I will e-mail free plans for a Ringmaster trainer to whomever sends me an e-mail at: PATDK (at) aol (dot) com . It is a full size Ringmaster with the wing and tailfeathers held on with rubber bands like an old Cox PT 19. The wing is designed to be sheeted with 1/32" ply for toughness. It should make a good primary trainer for larger engines. I taught several people to fly with my old S1. This bird should be much more crash resistant.

Pat"

I got a set of plans and they look great!  Will start building soon. 
They come as a digital file that a FedEx/Kinkos or similar place can print out for you.  2 sheets 24 x 44 inches.

Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:24:47 AM »
Glow ignitors could be a problem.  A battery clip from Radio Smack, a bit of zip cord and the clip of your choice would work. Not sure if batteries are a problem, but you could buy a couple of Alkyline C or D cells locally and leave them in your rental car. (?)  H^^ Steve

,,,,,or you could just make a 12v jumper cable to run your power panel off the rental car.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far. Pit items are not a real problem, I usually have to ship my tools out anyway, so a few extra pieces in there is no problem.

Howard- I have never seen the details of Yatsenko , B-17, Tom Morris systems. Does anybody have pictures or detail drawings? 

I envision something like 2 carbon fiber tube stub spars protruding from each wing that mate to  recieving sockets mounted in the fuse and secured with bolts, I've seen similar set-ups in R/C magazines. Access through a removable canopy that also allows control hook-up.

Stab / elevator with alignment pins, held in place by Vertical fin / rudder and fairing that have blind nuts installed to recieve bolts from underside of fuse through stab to clamp it all together.

I know it's been done- so i don't want to re-invent anything. Just need some guidance on things to avoid and best methods for secure and strong attachment that will withstand flight loads.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
Wynn I would be interested to see how you did the Vector . Could you post the pictures ?(or send them to me if you  don't want to post them).
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:21:13 AM »
Where's Bic Brannen when you need him.  He had a Barnstormer that fit in a small case that would easily qualify for carry on.  It was featured in an issue of Stunt News some years ago, but, not that many details tho.  It was fun watching him at VSC taking it apart to clean it and put it in the case.  He has missed the last few VSC's and have not heard from him.  I hope he is okay.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
Where's Bic Brannen when you need him.  He had a Barnstormer that fit in a small case that would easily qualify for carry on.  It was featured in an issue of Stunt News some years ago, but, not that many details tho.  It was fun watching him at VSC taking it apart to clean it and put it in the case.  He has missed the last few VSC's and have not heard from him.  I hope he is okay.  DOC Holliday
I was just gointg to sugest the same thing. Bic's Barnsyormer wings useBasswood formers and fuseledge hardware for his take apart. Great flying plane and light. I too have not heard or seen him for the past few years. One year he showed up at a contest in Salem Oregon and I havn't seen him since. If anyone has please let us know. HB~>

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »

Hi.

This is close to the Yatsenko system. Only t.e. is differend. T.e. is not highly stressed, you just need something to align things.
 I make mine from #2024 aluminium. I have drawings if someone is interested, they just got to be scanned first.

Regards, Lauri

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »
Alternate idea...I've always thought that a 2-piece wing arrangment (like Tom Morris') would be especially good on a profile fuselage. You wouldn't have to cut a big hole for the wing, just three small holes for the connectors (Tom Morris-type...which is very much like Lauri's TE joiner, times three, one for each spar (top & bottom assumed & required!) and one for the TE, of course. Not cutting the big hole in the fuselage stiffens the fuselage...tho the wing should also...maybe a toss-up?

Another thought, is that a foam wing (with plywood stub spars, which is normal if wing LG is used), and a bit of extra wood at the TE, would make a real good match for a 2 piece wing arrangement. Mounting the bellcrank and hooking up the controls would remain a bit of a challenge to solve, but that's what modelers do!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Kerry Ewart

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »

Hi.

This is close to the Yatsenko system. Only t.e. is differend. T.e. is not highly stressed, you just need something to align things.
 I make mine from #2024 aluminium. I have drawings if someone is interested, they just got to be scanned first.

Regards, Lauri
Lauri,
       If you could post some drawings that would be great as i am interested.

regards
kerry
"If you cannot beat them!JOIN THEM.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »

Hi Kerry.

Sure I can but it may take a while as I don't have a scanner at home. When it comes to drawing I'm very old fashioned. I'll do my best.

Regards, Lauri

Offline Jim Snelson

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line Central
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »
I was just gointg to sugest the same thing. Bic's Barnsyormer wings useBasswood formers and fuseledge hardware for his take apart. Great flying plane and light. I too have not heard or seen him for the past few years. One year he showed up at a contest in Salem Oregon and I havn't seen him since. If anyone has please let us know. HB~>
I haven't talked to Bic in several years. We flew some together when he used to show in Albuquerque ocassionally as he had a home here at that time. I would really like to see how he is doing. I have not heard from him in a few years either.

His Barnstromer's (he had two) used basswood and carbon fiber pieces to strengthen it.  At one time there was a video on the internet showing the details of it but I can not remember where that was. Below is a photo at one of our fun flies up in Santa Fe that Bic attended with the two Barnstormers. One of them is taken apart but I do not have a good close up of the take apart hardware.

Jim Snelson
www.clcentral.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here