News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:34:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ?????????  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
?????????
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
 Guy's I have a Tiger 60 in a T/F Score that runs like a bear, however gettin it started is a whole nother matter...  It is broken in and runs well when I get it started, however that is the problem. I choke it and prime it as well as apply an electric starter, and it spins and spins then finally starts.
 I am at my wits end as to why?  I am usin Powermaster 5% nitro in like all my other engines, but this one just doesn't want to start..
  I sure could use some suggestions...  T I A
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ?????????
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »
Does it really have good compression?  You may also try a different plug, or like one of my Fox 15's, flood it to start.  Each engine has it own character, even in same brand and size.  By the way if engine is inverted, which I think the Score is.  Turn the plane over before starting or even fueling the tank.  Prime the engine and flip the prop.  If it flips real easy, then hook up the battery and see if you get a bump.  If so flip it and it should start and run the prime out.  Then I usually prime again and start it again.  Then turn the plane over, fill the tank, make sure fuel is to needle valve, hook up battery and see if you get a bump.  If it bumps it should start fairly easy.  My method I learned from someone else.  Thanks Bigiron.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »
My guess is that you aren't getting any fuel into the engine. I would only partially choke the engine when flipping it. A little air needs to get through to pull fuelup into the crankcase. Just take care that it doesn't start up on you.
The other option is to turn the plane over, choke the venturi, and give one flip at most. You don't want too much fuel in the crankcase. Then turn back over and start it with wheels on ground.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:09:48 PM »
  Guy's The compresson is excellent when I flip the prop it REALLY Snaps !!  I had Frank Bowman put a ring in it not too long ago and I have run it on the bench approx 1 hr then into the model. The glo driver lights the plug (Thunderbolt idle bar) like the Sun..I'll try holding it inverted and see if I get fuel to the venturi. As I said I'm at my wits end as this engine runes real well...When I can get it started...
  I"ppreciate the help and please keep the suggestions coming...
 Thanks again, Bootlegger
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:08:19 PM »
I'm a big believer in an air filter, and starting the engine inverted (on the wheels). Choke it or put a squirt of fuel on the air filter, set it down, and hit the starter button. Use some old panty hose if you must, or a Bruline, your choice. I haven't seen anyplace where you pulled the prop through and got a 'bump', tho. If you can get a consistent 'bump' after your 'drill', just flip it, or hit it with the starter. I don't like flippin' 3 bladers, tho. y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 07:47:05 AM »
  Talked to Marvin Denny last evenin and he suggested checkin the back plate bolts, did so and they are tight as are the head bolts.. Pulled the entire package, Tank and engine, and will install on the bench and try there.
 When I find out what it is I'll post here to share the info...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 08:35:37 AM »
 Put engine and tank on the bench, 1st run choked one time, back flipped and away it went, 2nd & 3rd runs didn't choke it just fliped and away it went...
 Will re-install and see what happens...Will keep ya'll posted...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »
Gil,

While out flying Monday, Dave's brand new set up was giving us fits.  A new LA 40 in a Noblarf.  We finally the cowl and finally found a hairline spilt in the fuel line.  Fixed that and he was in the air!  Before, it would just flood and never fire, but we finally got it running.  I turned the needle all the way out and it never richened up......  that was when I saw the split in the line.  Still do not fully understand it all, but it was no further problem.  We had been OVER priming it, flooding it, and it just wasn't drawing fuel on its own all along.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
   #^  Mornin, Bill The blind hog found an acorn, we turned the test stand inverted on some saw horses and when we fueled the tank, fuel ran out the venturi. When I start to fuel with everything back in the plane, I'll use hemostats to pinch the fuel line off and prevent this problem. Oh, the we is Nick Liuzza and I..
  Wanted to make this post so that if someone had the same problem, maybe this would help...
 Again I thank all ya'll for all the suggestions... #^ #^ #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here