News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switching from a 2 blade prop to a 3 blade prop  (Read 431 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Switching from a 2 blade prop to a 3 blade prop
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
I did not want to disrupt Ken's thread he started asking about a triblade prop but I do have a question.  Years ago, I built a Rayette with a LA.46 engine on it and had conferred with Allan Brickhaus about what size 3 blade prop to put on it but I cannot remember the size these many years later.

Is there a conversion or equivalent chart telling you what size triblade prop to use when you switch from a 2 blade prop?  For example lets say I am using a 11 x 5 two blade prop and want to switch it out for a tri-blade, would I use the same size in a tri-blade or go up or down a size and pitch?

Thank you
Mike

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Switching from a 2 blade prop to a 3 blade prop
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
Mike there is an old rule of thumb that says when you add a blade you should drop 1” in diameter.  Modern engines produce more power so that may not be as nessessary.  Props vary in many other ways too so I might start with the same diameter and if the engines seems loaded then whittle off 1/4” segments until the engine doesn’t sound or act stressed with it.  Then you’ll have the best choice for that pitch and blade.  It’s been my experience that large diameters load the engine faster than number of blades or even pitch.  If you have tons of power the blade count doesn’t seem to matter much,  but diameter does.  More blades do provide more surface area in a given prop disc.  Whether that matters may be more about your airplane and your preferences.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Switching from a 2 blade prop to a 3 blade prop
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »
See Brett's comment on the other thread.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here