News:

• May 15, 2024, 05:34:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre G21 40 play in connecting rod bushing at crank. Suggestions please.  (Read 932 times)

Offline paulwells66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
I took the back plate off my g21 40 (B29) and noticed a small amount of play in the bushing at the crank. you can feel a small click when rotating the crank back and forth.
Assuming it's been like this for a while. In any case would like to fix it before something bad happens. Anybody have suggestions, new rod, re-bush, ?

thank you!

Paul Wells

Offline paulwells66

• Lieutenant
Ah!  thank you so much. I would guestimate it to be about that. You made my day!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Most of the 21 series rods are interchangeable , so not to awkward to get em . If needed .

Offline paulwells66

• Lieutenant
that's good to know...I have a B29 but could only find rods for other 29 models.
I tried to remove the liner after a crash to clean it but was frozen so just left it alone..figured no reason.
If ever do have to change the rod curious how I will get it out e.g. heat? penetrating oil? ?

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
I'd heat the case in a 225 degree oven to pull the liner, possibly mounting a prop and putting a wide, soft piece of wood in the exhaust port to let the piston lift it if nothing else worked.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  I think most if not all St liners are a slight shrink fit into the case. Randy Smith could shed some light on this for sure. You don't want to force it or gall it during removal. It needs that fit for proper heat transfer for proper cooling.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
that's good to know...I have a B29 but could only find rods for other 29 models.
I tried to remove the liner after a crash to clean it but was frozen so just left it alone..figured no reason.
If ever do have to change the rod curious how I will get it out e.g. heat? penetrating oil? ?

GGAAARRRRRHHHHHH !N . VD~

Use a srewdriver THAT FITS . Things . !

remove the reaer wrist pin access screw .

Heat case & lift liner JUST CLEAR of that hole in the rear .

Use heat gun , C.R.C. , WD 40 . penetrating oil . Singer Sewing Machine oil , to heat up inside piston . Backplate OFF .

A pin with a 25 thou .  :-\ 90 degree or more HOOK on the end , held in pliers , ookitin & P u l l l l .Holding jaw correctly , one eye squinted , most weight on left leg .

AA 29 ** ! is PART NUMBER not TYPE ! .  H^^

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
I took the back plate off my g21 40 (B29) and noticed a small amount of play in the bushing at the crank. you can feel a small click when rotating the crank back and forth.
Assuming it's been like this for a while. In any case would like to fix it before something bad happens. Anybody have suggestions, new rod, re-bush, ?

thank you!

Paul Wells

Just FYI  the  G21-40   uses the same  rod as the  46, not the  29 or 35, But  disclaimer  the  G21 40 and 46  has  had  more than 5 different rods, and  2 different lengths,  Is this a  double or single ring motor ?

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here