News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Clown  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Clown
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:34:49 PM »
My son was given a Super Clown as a birthday present. We will start putting it together tonight question is I have a choice of putting a OS Max 25 or Thunder Tiger 25 on this airplane has anyone use either of these two engines on this airplane and if so what size prop and tank did you use.

The one thing I noticed in the directions is that they recommended to use super glue for the wing and stab, vertical and horizontal, attachment I am leaning toward using epoxy or elmers wood glue.

Are the controls in this model adequate or should I change those too.

How about the motor mounts are they strong enough as is or would a cheek cowl help it out.

Right now his passion is learning F2C (see photo) and the clown will be used to introduce him to the stunt and combat side of the hobby when he is not ripping up the circle with the F2C.

Thanks ,

Scott   
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Super Clown
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »
Hi Scott,

I have not used either engine in a Super Clown.  I built one of John's first kits as a Product review when I was writing the Stunt News Products Column.  I have had a McCoy Red Head 29 in mine.  It has no problems with power. 

I would say either of your choices will be plenty, just need to know WHICH OS 25 and prop either one correctly.  If it is a LA 25 it seems that many think it is the perfect engine for it.  A FP25 will be pretty hot, and the old 25 "S" would be about like my McCoy 29.  I change the leads outs just to get rid of the crimps.  Check any clevises since the ARF ones tend to let go pretty quick.  Those get changed as "preventative medicine"! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:31:58 PM »
The hinges in my ARF SuperClown were very stiff.  Either free-up the hinges or replace them with Du-Bro hinges.  You did not mention the Brodak 25 as an option.  If you are planning to buy an engine for this application, the Brodak is lighter than the others which is good and makes enough power to fly this little airplane.  I used stock pushrod from bellcrank to flap, but replaced the one from flap to elevator with one having 4-40 threads on the end.  I used the Du-Bro black nylon clevis for the elevator.  It fits tightly on the pushrod and has a lock for the pin.
Steve

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys, the os is a fp and you are right maybe a little too hot for the clown looks like I will stick the thunder tiger in it it is a little screamer too had it on a combat wing. I think I will make a new venturi for it a wee bit smaller. These are engines I have now and broke in ready to go. If I buy a Brodak 25 it will be for a B Team race plane after a few mods. I wiil check the controls and pushrods when I get home. Unfortunately I have to drive by the hobby shop on the way home and the dang truck sometimes has a mind of its own when I get near the place  <= . Sound s like a good reason to get some new clevis's anyway.  ;D I will fix the leadouts too good preventitive medicine. I am thinking .012 lines x 52 feet with a 10x5 or 10x6 prop and 2.5 to 3 oz. of gas. I will custom build a tank to fit the airplane probably with my mechanical fast fill just because I like them.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »
Scott,

I think that 25 FP will suit you a lot better if you use a 9-4 or 9-5 prop and run it in a rich 2 cycle.  60' foot lines would probably be ok too, they will help you keep from screwing yourself into the ground.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »
I use .015 X 59' eye to eye. (I *thought* they were 60' until I measured them!) and it has no problems at all.  I am guessing you will end up closer to a 4" pitch prop if you want to do stunts. 

I am curious, why would you use a Brodak 25 (designed for stunt) in a racing plane??  I would defintely think that either the FP or TT would be able to turn more rpm just due to the initial timing. (?? ?? ??)  Not critical, I just like to know the "whys". ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »

I am curious, why would you use a Brodak 25 (designed for stunt) in a racing plane??  I would defintely think that either the FP or TT would be able to turn more rpm just due to the initial timing. (?? ?? ??)  Not critical, I just like to know the "whys". ;D

Bill,

I read that some one had already reworked the Brodak for racing purposes.  Possibly here in the racing section.

In any event here is a link to a site where they have been there and done that:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smithlw/Site%202/Brodak%20B25R%20Racing%20Engine.html

AP^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Steve Kientz

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 04:20:18 PM »
  My nephew won a Super Clown ARF in a raffle.It has a GMS .25 for power,10x4 prop to slow it down a little as he(we) are still learning, has plenty of power and speed ,even on 60' lines.

Steve

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:29:57 PM »
Scott.
I ran both the Thunder Tiger 25 and OS FP 25 in a Brodak Tomahawk. Both engines wanted to haul freight.  The Thunder Tiger had to have two head gaskets added. When the Thunder Tiger got tired, I put in an OS FP 25. I had to add two head gaskets to that engine as well just to calm it down. Later I installed the Brodak 25 when they became available. The Brodak 25 ran a great 2-4 break from the beginning. A head gasket had added after about 45 minutes of running.  Now I have a Super Clown ARC and thinking about getting it ready to fly. 

Bobby Mathison has a Super Clown and it flies great with a Veco 19 BB. Bobby had to trim down the flaps a little to stop the wing flutter when it was flying fast.
Later.
John Tate

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »
I had built a super Clown and used the Fox 25 plain bearing motor. It is light and while it doesn't do a 4/2/4 very well it did a great job flying that plane. Shame I sold it, seems that i always get rid of al the good ones.
Dennis

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 05:28:19 AM »
Mine is a kit version and I used Zap CA glue to build most of it, but I always epoxy to glue the wing to the fuselage. I have found the wing/fuselage fit on most kits, arcs & arfs is not good enough to use CA on it's own. Too many big gaps, which is why I always opt for epoxy glue. 

The plywood doublers are ample strong enough, so a cheek cowl is not necessary.  I use a OS LA-S 25 on mine with a 10x5 prop  It flies very well, but I did need to add some tail weight. In hindsite the nose should have been shortened a bit.

But as I mentioned, it does fly well and it looks good too me, so I am happy with it....

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Willis Swindell

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 06:24:40 AM »
Scott
It probably would fly OK with a 15 diesel. I put a Russian TR diesel in a Don Still Stuka and it flew great.
Willis S?P H^^

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:58:55 AM »
Everyone thanks for your input on the super clown. I had to spend a wee bit of time straightening out the wing last night before putting the flaps on but it appears to be better now that it was. The engine cut out is a bit wide for the Thunder Tiger so I plan to add a couple of strips of ply to snug it up a bit.

Willis  ;D that was a choice answer, but most of my diesels current occupy a F2C or F2CN and have a front exhaust Vorobiev slated for a F2F. None of them run well trying to do a 4-2-4 break anyway. My boy is really coming along, most of the trainers we started him on drop like a rock when not under power so for him a plane in proper balance an good glide ratio, an F2C was a real jump after the third landing he was putting it right in my hand on a pit stop. The closest I ever came was Jim's ankle with a Goodyear. I hope it does not cause him problems anymore  ::).
Do you all have a paved circle out at Fentress. We are planning a vacation next year and may get up to Norfolk for a few days.

Scott 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Willis Swindell

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »
Scott
You don’t have to run a 424 on a diesel the front exhaust would be perfect. As for a hard surface to fly on, with a little cleanup we have the place they flew speed at the 88 Nat's and we have saved the the mount for the speed  pylon . Do you remember all the trouble we had digging that hole?
Willis H^^

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »
Willis,
Sorry I missed that I left in 85 #^

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here