News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:27:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suitable stuntable twin for 2 Enya 11CXD Ultra Diesels  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Suitable stuntable twin for 2 Enya 11CXD Ultra Diesels
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »
I have one Enya 11CXD diesel and I was wondering about getting another to build a C/L stunt twin. They are the same weight as an OS 15 but have more quoted power being  diesels.  I was considering a Pathfinder 2 or LA Warmth but was wondering if there is anything else suitable either in kit or plan form  ( I like building from plans BTW)

Thanks

Ivan

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Suitable stuntable twin for 2 Enya 11CXD Ultra Diesels
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
Sheeks Mosquito is a good one - kits and or plans available from RSM Distribution
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
Sheeks Mosquito is a good one - kits and or plans available from RSM Distribution

If you succeed in getting a Sheeks Mosquito to fly with 2 Enya 11 diesels I am going to publicly declare you the grand pubah of modelling. It's far too much model for them.
With that said if you reduce the plane size then you can build one and have the only one in the world. That is probably your best option to resize a known set of plans for a proven twin and go from there.
dennis

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
Have you run your diesel?  I'm interested in some RPM figures if you can get them. 

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
The L A Warmth has excellent stunt bloodlines. Not that I am prejudiced or anything. S?P

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
I can re-scale the plans for you

i also have a ton of other twins - both profile and full fuse.

What are you looking for in particular?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
I don't recall who it was, but I recall that somebody built a twin for diesels and had no luck at all with it, because of vibration. A change to glow power fixed that, and the model flew well. It's something to think about. I don't know anything about Enya .11's, and don't recall what the diesels were that didn't work. Maybe a backup plan would be to plan to allow the change to glows.

Brodak has a profile Tigercat that's for .15's, and might be just the ticket for your .11's, if the vibration thing doesn't intervene. I always wanted to have a scaled-up version of Hal deBolt's little 1/2a Grumman Skyrocket. Something around 350-400 sq. inches might work ok for the .11's.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
I don't recall who it was, but I recall that somebody built a twin for diesels and had no luck at all with it, because of vibration. A change to glow power fixed that, and the model flew well. It's something to think about. I don't know anything about Enya .11's, and don't recall what the diesels were that didn't work. Maybe a backup plan would be to plan to allow the change to glow.

Steve is right on with that-Can't remember where, but I just read it on the forum here recently too. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »
(snip) I always wanted to have a scaled-up version of Hal deBolt's little 1/2a Grumman Skyrocket. Something around 350-400 sq. inches might work ok for the .11's.  H^^ Steve

HI Steve,

So you have the DeBolt Skyrocket plans?  I would really like a set of those. ;D  I have Jack Sheeks' Skyrocket plans, but it is a "doosiy".......

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:20:48 PM »
HI Steve,

So you have the DeBolt Skyrocket plans?  I would really like a set of those. ;D  I have Jack Sheeks' Skyrocket plans, but it is a "doosiy".......  I Still haven't been able to visualize how Jack did the Nacelles. or something along those lines.  I put the plans up, but can't get the model out of my head! LOL!!!!!!!!  (Same with the Demon and Stunt Liner! LOL!!)

Sorry, for the hijack, Ivan.  I can't think, off hand, of any thing better than the Twin Pathfinder or LA Warmth.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »
I can re-scale the plans for you

i also have a ton of other twins - both profile and full fuse.

What are you looking for in particular?

I'm looking for something that is fully  stuntable with a built up fuz and preferably sidewinder engines, that's why I was thinking about the Pathfinder 2.  I haven't run the 11CXD  yet but my friend and flying buddy, Vincent, will run his very soon.  I like diesels in small capacities because you get more 'bang for your buck' so to speak (very good for the small vintage British stunters I like to build and fly).  However, given the dimensions of this engine glows would be an easy substitute if  the vibration thing becomes an issue.   A model designed for glow 15s would be very suitable and I would be quite happy to  build from plans

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:59:23 AM »
HI Steve,

So you have the DeBolt Skyrocket plans?  I would really like a set of those. ;D  I have Jack Sheeks' Skyrocket plans, but it is a "doosiy".......

Bill

They are readily available from Leonard at Stuka Stunt or Barry Baxter,Now the Sheeks Skyrocket plans are another matter. Timely plans burned to the ground in 64 the year the Skyrocket was published. The masters were lost and there are not that many copies floating around. That is a set that I'd like to have. It really should be considered for kitting but some purist will whine about those lousy,horrible Sterling cowls having to be on it to be classic legal. I just want one, period.
Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »
I didn't put the metal cowl on the Sheeks Staggerwing.  That design got me more attention than any plane I have built.  Still waiting for Elwyn Aud to get it back in the air.  He took more pictures of it than anybody.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
The Pathfinder twin is a profile design, and flies very well with a pair of glow .15's, especially so with BB versions. when using LA, or FP series engines, it'll still work well, if you use more nitro. We use 20% here at our location.

Since I have the CAD files, I can easily scale the design to whatever size you might want.

John Miller
CadCassics.net
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
I am suggesting that you see what your engine will do before you build something for it.  I had one and it was a dog.  Overweight and not as much power as an old McCoy 09 diesel.  Other people have spoken well of them, but I no longer have mine.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
Sheeks Skyrocket - I have the plans for  AND article

Bill  - I'll work on the Debolt Skyrocket for you

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
Steve is right on with that-Can't remember where, but I just read it on the forum here recently too. y1

As I recall now, it was an Australian modeler who built the twin with diesels. Still don't remember who it was, however.  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »

They are readily available from Leonard at Stuka Stunt or Barry Baxter,Now the Sheeks Skyrocket plans are another matter. Timely plans burned to the ground in 64 the year the Skyrocket was published. The masters were lost and there are not that many copies floating around. That is a set that I'd like to have. It really should be considered for kitting but some purist will whine about those lousy,horrible Sterling cowls having to be on it to be classic legal. I just want one, period.
Dennis

Thanks for the info Dennis.  I have the magazine issue AND the full size plans for the Skyrocket.  I stated THAT part clearly in my post...............  If I remember clearly (I haven't looked at the plans nor article in a couple months) BALSA cowls are mentioned for a substitute.  If anyone ever called me out for having balsa cowls instead of the Sterling Nieuport (sp) cowls (actually John Brodak might still have a couple of those), they would probably end up in a body cast for a couple months.   A Classic Contest (or a CD that arrogant) is a joke if it goes THAT far........  no one at a contest I have ever been to has even remotely gone that far, or been THAT absurd.   Maybe "ludicrous" is the right word?

Exactly like in his FW-190 plans/article where he used one of his Daughter's play cooking pots for the cowl.

it's the little DeBolt plans I do not have.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
Sheeks Skyrocket - I have the plans for  AND article

Bill  - I'll work on the Debolt Skyrocket for you

Thank you, Wynn!  The little "Debolt" ones are the ones I desire.  I have everything else for the Sheeks model. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »
The DeBolt Skyrocket's not a bad little rocket .Minimalist , so more a Combat / stunt type .
Pommy Mosquito & Me 110 from 69 Had Oliver Diesels , Tigers and 3.5cc Tiger Major's .

A Friend Jonathan Fryer , Torbay Club in N.Z. built the Mosquito for an Oliver and a ED .
Vibration problems (even the lines are vibating) might be cured by " De - Phaseing ' the
propellors.(say no more, still, not bad for a 13 yr old).
Put both engines at T.D.C. , put one prop vertical and one horizontal, secured .
If the inners flatter your flicking UP, not a bad idea on a short nose,
and saves breaking the finger on the fuselage on a long nose .

Clarance Lee - the engine doctor , went into the whys and wherefores of this .

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 05:35:55 AM »
The Pathfinder twin is a profile design, and flies very well with a pair of glow .15's, especially so with BB versions. when using LA, or FP series engines, it'll still work well, if you use more nitro. We use 20% here at our location.

Since I have the CAD files, I can easily scale the design to whatever size you might want.

John Miller
CadCassics.net

That's a very kind offer.  I have a set of the plans ordered from Carstens for a while (if they ever come)  and I have just  been offered a Brodak Pathfinder kit at the right price which, from reading your article and subsequent posts, I know can be the basis for the model.  The 11CXDs should be more powerful than OS 15 LAs and I do have a fallback position of 2 Enya 20SS glows.  On balance given the offer of a kit I think I will go for the Pathfinder 2.  I don't think the plans need scaling but would be grateful for an electronic copy while I wait for the paper copy to arrive so that I can buy wood etc.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
That's a very kind offer.  I have a set of the plans ordered from Carstens for a while (if they ever come)  (snip)

Hi Ivan,

Give Flying Models a call and ask for "MAUREEN".  tell her your problem.  That is the direction I have been told to go with getting plans from FM.  Allen Brickhaus is a monthly columnist and that is the word from him. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
The Pathfinder 2 is one of the best stunt planes I have flown.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here