News:

• June 15, 2024, 07:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ......Suggestions......  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
......Suggestions......
« on: July 31, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »
 H^^ Hey Guy's, I am looking for some ideas about how  to make up lines without stretching them out in the back yard or at the field.
  I have a shop that is about 22' wide and prefer to be able to measure and fab the lines in there. Needles to say I don't want the lines wadded up on the floor and I need to be able to accurately measure them with about 1/8" of difference in length.
         I know that the right answer lies on this site... H^^   n~
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
Re: ......Suggestions......
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »
Hey Gil,
The way I do it is:
1) Make up the 2 ends w/eyelets of whats hanging off the reel first.
2) Put the 2 finished eyelet end on a fixed nail on my garage floor.
3) unroll the lines down the driveway, with decent tension, and mark the pair with a permamarker where you want to finish them.You will have to walk them out from the nail to ensure they're equal before marking them. (I have painted markers on my driveway for 50', 60', ect...)
4) Roll them up starting from the eyelet end first. Your marked lines will now be on the outside of the reel so you can finish them in the shop.

I don't know of any other way to do it without the risk of kinking your lines..
There's probably some commercial measuring device like is used for wire dispensing at electrical supply houses,
but its out of my league.

Hope this helps,
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »
2 large pulleys (cut from plywood?) mounted on opposite sides of the shop.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline KSeaton1

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »
Here is a indoor method that I have used several times. I made up a reel with the curcumfurince of 12 inches and used it to wind the lines on after tieing up one end. I subtracted the length of the handle and aircraft to get the lenght I wanted. Kevin

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
I try and do my lines in my barn/ workshop that is 44 feet long I have a bench that I drive a finishing nail in that I place the first ends I tie, and then I have two nails about a foot apart on the far wall through my two insulated doors that separate the work shop from the cold part of the barn. On those two nails I place old line spools I measure from my bench to the nails and set up the distance I need to make my lines. The bench is movable. I un-spool the lines down the shop run it around the two spools and back to my nail I then pull the lines tight and tie them. works great the two lines turn out to be exactly the same length. Now if only I could figure out a better way of finishing lead outs.

Leroy

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
just a caution, the bulk line I have has to be run out in the grass, it has a lot of residuial twists in it.  If you double it back you get a big snarl when you cut it.

you could run it out around the perimerter of your shop.  put some kind of hook or bushing at all 4 corners. 

I can make up a set of lines now in less than 15 minutes start to finish, so  I just do it outsied or at the field.  Get or make a Jim Lee type line wraper and it goes fast.

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here