News:

• May 28, 2024, 07:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strega Blue Trim  (Read 915 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Strega Blue Trim
« on: November 28, 2023, 06:39:17 AM »
I recently posted an inquiry in Paint and Finishing looking for the Monokote color blue that was used on the Strega ARF. Brodak thought it may be Insignia Blue but was unsure. I'd like to repair the blue that had peeled off of the Strega I recently inherited. There are no less than 600 Strega posts here but not a one identified the color blue. Please help. If anyone has any of the various blues out there and they'd like to send me a small postage stamp size I'd appreciate it. Santa will reward your good deed I'm sure. PM me for my address.
Thanks much,

Steve
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:20:25 PM by Steve Dwyer »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Strega Blue Trim
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 03:27:42 PM »
I recently posted an inquiry in Paint and Finishing looking for the Monokote color blue that was used on the Strega ARF. Brodak thought it may be Insignia Blue but was unsure. I'd like to repair the blue that had peeled off of the Strega I recently inherited. There are no less than 600 Strega posts here but not a one identified the color blue. Please help. If anyone has any of the various blues out there and they'd like to send me a small postage stamp size I'd appreciate it. Santa will reward your good deed I'm sure. PM me for my address.
Thanks much,

Steve
I just looked at some pix on the web and I am pretty sure that it is Sapphire blue if they used Monokote.  Insignia as darker.  The Topflight Nobler ARF's were Saphire.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 10:56:18 AM »
Thanks Ken I'll place an order.

Steve

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 02:01:31 PM »
Just ordered from Horizon:  Corsair Blue HANU905,  Midnight Blue HANU885 and Insignia Blue TOPQ0207.  Online they all look close to the color on the Strega. Guess I'll have some blues on the shelf I will post which blue matches for future reference.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 07:04:20 PM »
Just ordered from Horizon:  Corsair Blue HANU905,  Midnight Blue HANU885 and Insignia Blue TOPQ0207.  Online they all look close to the color on the Strega. Guess I'll have some blues on the shelf I will post which blue matches for future reference.

Steve
I am still betting it is Sapphire TOPQ0226.  Horizon doesn't have it but others do if what you get is not right.  Here is a side by side with the Top Flight Nobler - It is Sapphire.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
Ken,

I'm getting the Blues on this.... It looks (photo) you could be dead right on sapphire blue TOPQ0226 being the matching color. Problem is I can't locate it anywhere on an online search. Hobbytown is the only source still showing it available in store only. My local HT doesn't have it and claim they can't get it.

I'll wait to see if one of the three variations I ordered are close enough for the repair, I don't need much.

If it comes down to having to have sapphire blue I could ask our builders here to check their inventory. I'd be willing to buy some if they are willing to part with it.

Thanks,
Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 11:04:45 AM »
 LL~
Ken,

I'm getting the Blues on this.... It looks (photo) you could be dead right on sapphire blue TOPQ0226 being the matching color. Problem is I can't locate it anywhere on an online search. Hobbytown is the only source still showing it available in store only. My local HT doesn't have it and claim they can't get it.

I'll wait to see if one of the three variations I ordered are close enough for the repair, I don't need much.

If it comes down to having to have sapphire blue I could ask our builders here to check their inventory. I'd be willing to buy some if they are willing to part with it.

Thanks,
Steve
How much do you need.  I have a small amount left for patches on two planes where I used it.  I am switching to Royal Blue in the future.  I probably could spare enough to fix that wing piece if that is all that is missing but I will have to check my "stash" Monday when I get to the office (I am semi-retired and build in my office).  If it is more than that, consider redoing all of the trim in Royal or Insignia.  It will lift off with a little heat and acetone to clean it up.  As many Nobler ARF's that there are out there I bet someone on here has a stash for fixing up the one they crashed and no longer have. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »
While I've never owned a Brodak ARF, I'm pretty sure from reading that the only ARF's that used real Monokote were the TF products (Nobler and Flite Streak). The rest are "Chinakote", though it's possible that Horizon specified and provided Ultracoat for their PT-19 ARF. I've witnessed a Brodak ARF P-40 shed the bottom covering (outboard, I think) during an official flight, so suggest either iron/press it on, or order the ARC, and use something else of your choice.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 09:55:43 AM »
LL~How much do you need.  I have a small amount left for patches on two planes where I used it.  I am switching to Royal Blue in the future.  I probably could spare enough to fix that wing piece if that is all that is missing but I will have to check my "stash" Monday when I get to the office (I am semi-retired and build in my office).  If it is more than that, consider redoing all of the trim in Royal or Insignia.  It will lift off with a little heat and acetone to clean it up.  As many Nobler ARF's that there are out there I bet someone on here has a stash for fixing up the one they crashed and no longer have. LL~

Ken

Ken, To repair the one top wing and ignore to two bottom wing areas I'll need one 21" x 2" strip to repair all three I'd need a 21" x 6". This is a fair amount so hold off until I see how closely the three samples match.
Thanks,
Steve

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 10:13:52 AM »
While I've never owned a Brodak ARF, I'm pretty sure from reading that the only ARF's that used real Monokote were the TF products (Nobler and Flite Streak). The rest are "Chinakote", though it's possible that Horizon specified and provided Ultracoat for their PT-19 ARF. I've witnessed a Brodak ARF P-40 shed the bottom covering (outboard, I think) during an official flight, so suggest either iron/press it on, or order the ARC, and use something else of your choice.  y1 Steve

Steve,

I've never bought or owned an ARF before. This Strega has flown the pattern by the previous owner so I'd say other than the trim covering coming off it's been proved out and air worthy, hopefully. From my experience I've had little trouble with MonoKote trim coming off when properly heat adhered to a base MonoKote. Who knows what they did here, they may have tacked it and never fully sealed it down. I wonder how many here have had to opportunity to view a manufacturing shop where they are producing ARFs? Horizon offers many RC models so there has to be an active plant somewhere.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 12:37:08 PM »
Ken, To repair the one top wing and ignore to two bottom wing areas I'll need one 21" x 2" strip to repair all three I'd need a 21" x 6". This is a fair amount so hold off until I see how closely the three samples match.
Thanks,
Steve

It is possible I can spare that much if it is the color and nobody has a better "stash".  I will not be using it going forward since they apparently don't make it anymore so all I need is some for patches.  Both of the planes I am flying now are "test beds" so there is some patching going on as I make changes.  I have replaced the Canard on one of them three times till I found the size and movement I liked. Monokote is the best for this when you don't need a contest finish but still want an attractive plane.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 10:26:34 AM »
Thanks Ken, I'll keep you posted when the order arrives.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2023, 04:59:18 PM »
Thanks Ken, I'll keep you posted when the order arrives.

Steve
I have enough to spare 6 x 26 if nobody else has more.  Just cover the postage.  Let me know.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »
Ken,

The order arrived today. Even though the camera tends to slightly alter the true colors the Hanger 9 Ultra Cote Midnight Blue is close enough. I'm not building a watch here. The Ultra Cote Corsair Blue and the Monokote Insignia Blue are much darker and interestingly enough appear almost identical. the 13 year old model needs some re ironing of its covering throughout as well. 

Thanks for the offer for the Sapphire Blue. 

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 05:47:40 PM »
Ken,

The order arrived today. Even though the camera tends to slightly alter the true colors the Hanger 9 Ultra Cote Midnight Blue is close enough. I'm not building a watch here. The Ultra Cote Corsair Blue and the Monokote Insignia Blue are much darker and interestingly enough appear almost identical. the 13 year old model needs some re ironing of its covering throughout as well. 

Thanks for the offer for the Sapphire Blue. 

Steve
Close enough!  Never used Ultracote.  If it is as easy to use as Monokote let me know.  Midnight Blue?  Can you see blue at midnight?
Maybe it was mixed under a full moon.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
Ken,

I have used them both with similar results and ease of application.  I believe without checking UC requires less heat.

Not too sure about how much blue there is at midnight, these two samples are almost black...

I'm not much of an expert about the moon except I've heard of a couple of folks that have been known to bark at it.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here