News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stooges really are evil!  (Read 2277 times)

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Stooges really are evil!
« on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
Hi

I have read many times about people getting the d*mn stooge line around their feets. I have laughed a bit at it and thought that it will never happen to me. Well I was wrong, today I did get the d*mn line around my legs and jumped around like a fool. I almost crashed my new electric Nobler while trying to get one of my legs free. I did many lazy eights until I was able to free one leg.
I will get (actually build, the software is ready and the hardware design is almost ready) a new timer/flight manager, one that its possible to set a 20-30 sec delay before the motor starts so I can quit using a stooge!

Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Stooges really are evil!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
Sometimes you can unwind your self by flying inverted. It has worked for me.
Jim Kraft

Offline johnbyrne

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
We launch towards the outside of the circle with string not long enough to reach the middle.  Makes it hard to get caught if you don't step on it.
AMA 759448

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »
I have a fairly heavy piece of wood as a handle on the stooge line.  When the stooge releases the airplane, I throw the handle some distance away from me.  I think I did get tangled once a long time ago. 

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Glad to hear the e-Nobler survived! y1

This is one of those things that I'm sure all of us believe that only idiots have happen to themselves---that is until it happens to us! On the other hand, maybe the original premise is correct  n~.

So like John, my string also doesn't reach the center of the circle--at least not now it doesn't!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »
I use a metal chalk line reel ($2-$4 at the home center - no chalk on the line) and toss it toward the outside of the circle right after the launch. That does not protect one from others, however, and I did the tangle foot scene when a fellow modeler left his stooge line across the center of the circle. Wrecked my electric Ringmaster!!

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »

Wil Hublin's timers do that delay. But you need smooth close cut grass for some esc's to make it work. The castle  creations pheonix timers spool up very slowly even when set as fast as possible. We have lost two  planes in the past few weeks by not  using a stooge and getting lines or plane caught by terrain or grass.

bob branch

Offline johnbyrne

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09:17 AM »
I've got to add an update to this.

Irony ... ?  .... Murphy at work ... ? .... who knows

But

Went flying today by myself and did something I never did before.  I dropped my lines on top of the stooge string and when I picked it up I noticed that I managed to loop the string between the lines.  If I didn't notice it I would have launced with strings pulling the stooge string behind.  That could have gotten rather interesting. 

I'm just glad I discovered it.  WOW  Now I do wonder if Stooges really are evil   VD~
AMA 759448

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »
I still use the stooge that I beleive Bob Hunt designed.  It is spring loaded.  I also use the day glo line from the hardware store that stretches a bit.  It is tied to a peice of broomstick.  I start by setting the stooge up out side of the perimeter of the flying area so that when I am in the center of the pad I can land and not worry about the big plank the stooge is bolted to. 

Set up is easy.  Hook lines to plane, roll them out and hook up handle.  Pull plane to the edge of the area so the handle is about ten feet from center.  Put stooge behind the plane and roll out the line.  I make sure the line is behind the airplane lines.  Once engine is started after hooking to the stooge I walk behind every thing to go to the circle.  Pick up handle and check controls.  Pick up stooge handle, step back and pull.  Once plane is moving I release the stooge handle.  There is enough elasticity that it usually lands about 10 feet from me.  I finish the take off as I move to circle center. 

Another thing is to make sure plane is secure in the stooge before starting by pulling forward on it.  With a stooge it is also you have a combination that starts easily inverted on most planes.  My flying partner started using starters on his inverted engined planes.  Since he has started using planes with upright mountings or side mount.   Have fun,  DOC  Holliday

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
Think I would hesitate before putting a stooge on a set time release...what if you trip, or have trouble at the handle, only to hear the plane launching before you are ready.

Like the idea of a weighted end so you can toss it out of harm's way.

But these are only speculation on my part...don't have a stooge.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
A lineless stooge saves one a lot of problems and unnecessary complications.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
The delay setting on Wil's timers is adjustable out to 32 second delay from the time you hit  the switch to start the motor. Its plenty of time to casually walk to the handle, get the thong  on your wrist, check controls, and if you are using a stooge as I do even electric, pick up the  line and get ready. Then there is still a substantial  wait. Which is  fine in case one of those unforseens happen. I use the stooge  electric  cause my field is neither smooth enough nor  has consistantly short enough grass to allow a competition takeoff or  allow the motor to  wind up to flying power without risking the model. So I wait for full  power before launching and then get up like now to be  safe. Yea, I don't get much practice with takeoffs but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The non stooge electric launch is spooky the first few times you do it. Depending on your speed controller and settings the amount of time until you get full power varies. It can be set to some degree but some controllers like  the phoenix just will not give instant full power.  If you have a nice surface to fly off you can use partial power to your advantage for very nice takeoffs but as I said I don't have that option.

Can stuff  still go wrong? Of course not, Murphy isn't everywhere!  LL~ %^@ VD~

bob branch

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
So far I have managed to avoid getting my feet tangled up in the stooge line. I have, however, gotten the release line tangled with the control lines once. Interesting few seconds.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »
Think I would hesitate before putting a stooge on a set time release...what if you trip, or have trouble at the handle, only to hear the plane launching before you are ready.

Like the idea of a weighted end so you can toss it out of harm's way.

But these are only speculation on my part...don't have a stooge.

George

That is why some shove a screwdriver or some other object into the ground and hook the safety thong over it.  In most cases, instant full down.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »
That is why some shove a screwdriver or some other object into the ground and hook the safety thong over it.  In most cases, instant full down.  DOC Holliday

Great idea!!

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
I have a fairly heavy piece of wood as a handle on the stooge line.  When the stooge releases the airplane, I throw the handle some distance away from me.  I think I did get tangled once a long time ago. 

I do the same thing Jim, and I changed from cable to 3/16 nylon rope so I can see it at a glance.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
The subject line is very misleading.
Good organization and proper use will make a stooge as safe and reliable as any other piece of equipment we use.
I fly alone a lot and always use a stooge, in fact, I feel safer and would prefer the stooge to a holder, especially an inexperienced one. I know the plane isn't going anywhere until I pull the line. In fact, the other day, I had a 70 year old veteran C/L flier hold for me and he put his thumb through the silk span at the wing tip...... I couldn't believe it!
And, like DOC suggested, I always hook my safety thong to a large nail that I push mostly into the ground. People at the park where I fly illegally allow their dogs to run off leash so great care must be taken.

Orv.

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  My mechanical stooge give a nice clean release on command without blunders.  Doc's advice is dead on.
Chuck Winget

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »
I learned the screwdriver idea from someone else.  Isn't it great we can beg, steal and borrow from other modelers!  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here