News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:29:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Still the Front end, but moving toward the end of the front end  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
OK, it's not that much progress. I spent most of the day in yard work and arguing with one of the bolts that holds the alternator on my pickup. Trying to change out the alternator and that sucker just doesn't want to come loose. Also had to take a break to head down to urgent care. The d#$% wrench broke (broke!) and I had to get a few stitches in my elbow. Oh Joy!

But in spite of that, here are a couple of pics of the progress. The stab is just about done. Not too bad at 1.15oz. Very straight and very strong. I could probably grind out some of the core piece and may do that to lose a few more grams. You can also see the cores for the elevators. Another pic of the fuselage side ready to go. 1/64" plywood has been glued on.

I also included a picture of the plans, such as they are. Just a few notes to remind me of what I was thinking when I drew them. Just good old pencil and paper drawings.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Still the Front end, but moving toward the end of the front end
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 10:00:16 PM »
Lookin good Randy. Those pencil and paper drawings look excellent, how long does it take you to draw those up ?
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:30:15 AM »
Leester,

It depends. If I'm doing something new, then a week or two. If I'm just updating an existing design like this one, less than a week. Call it 4 or 5 hours.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:04:35 AM »
Stitches eh, Randy??  Man you really know how to have fun..............I really like the frame work you're doing. Where are you putting all these planes you're building??
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »
Frank,

Man, my elbow is sure sore this morning. And I still haven't gotten the stupid bolt loose.

I currently have 2 contest worthy planes, 3 that could be made contest worthy with a few hours work and 2 that will probably never see the sky again. I just haven't decided if I'm going the salvage them. An one profile that is my son's that's collecting dust on the wall. The other's are in rack just about the workbench in the picture or on the opposite wall. I'll have to make some room soon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »
I love that drawing Randy...and may that EEEBOW of your healuth' in a hurry. (If that was a Sear & Sawbuck broken tool....they just might help pick up the tab for your pain and suffering...but again it would take an ambulance chasing lawyer to get the job done...and by that time...your EEBOW should have healed.

You my brotha in stunt-gruntdome'....you never cease to amaze with with your passion for designing, building and creating those amazing pieces of flying art!
The more I look at that pencil drawing....I think that model would be one great looking stunter...What a great looking stab and elevator...and what an interesting way to not only save weight on that wing contruction...but many times at the Wind Tunnel...we utilised that same WWW wing rib construction technique to save over-all weight but more importantly add ridigitity and resistance to flexing.

Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
Don,

Yea, it should look OK in the end. I've already got the paint scheme and methology worked out. I've used the wing construction method over the last 4 or 5 planes and improve it a bit every time.

Will try to get the fuselage box built today, if I have the energy. Picked up a bit of a bug. And I still haven't gotten the stupid bolt loose.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »

Spray it with C.R.C. a few days or weeks before you 'look at it ' !

Put a bit of pipe on a bar anmd socket, and use your boot !

(allways leave the nut on by a few threads whilst removing steering wheels ! )

M.S.

"the art of dismantleing automobiles;without getting blood all over them ".

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 12:07:06 AM »
Yea, I tried most of that. Used about a half can of Penitron on it. Finally just cut the head off, pulled the mount off after pulling the fan and shroud. Now I will shoot the base with penatrating oil  and just grab the shaft of the bolt with vice grip and back the sucker out of there. Man, what a paing. I live in an area without trash service. So my pickup is the only way to get the trash to the dump. It's sort of backing up. This toad just has to get fixed soon.   :-\
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »
I never get tired of looking at your work Randy.  This is somewhat off the thread, but as Robert Storick knows, I have a thing for coming up with ideas for people with talent like yourself to share. 

As you know, classic is pretty big right now and quite a few guys here in Socal are using their classic ships for "double duty".  Classic ships have a lot of things going for them.  But, they do require the "old school" solid building techniques, (which I think is good). Maybe, you may want to consider doing a DVD on "Building the Competitive Classic Stuntship" by Randy Powell.

That fact that you have gone through some "front end" issues on your other planes and worked out the engineering to get a solid nose etc, you could use your engineering acumen to show guys how to incorporate "modern" front ends into their classic ships to take the stresses of todays motors. 

Also,you have a particularly good facility with jigs and fixtures,which as you know, is paramount in building straight ships. I notice that some of the cats here in Socal don't quite have the straight and true building techiques quite down yet in the classic plane program.  I have also seen quite a few control system issues which in some cases, the ship was DOA before it ever got to the field.

Or better still; a complete step by step build of a relatively simple, yet popular classic ship like the Cavalier, incorporating "all the right ways" to do things based on your experience.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »
Looks good Randy,, another jet style huh,, still trying to get my Q ship ready for this weekend,, sigh, I need a clone for the family stuff so I can get the "important " things done....
(ok dont slam me I am kidding, family is more important,,and I live that way!)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
Proparc,

Interesting idea. My next classic project will probably be Walter Umland's "Colossus" kit, but something like what you're suggesting could be interesting.

Mark,

Yea, another jetty sort of design. The PA plane will probably be a departure from that. As will the next classic plane, as noted above.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here