News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starfire II done! (And flew today!)  (Read 2948 times)

Eric Viglione

• Trade Count: (0)
Starfire II done! (And flew today!)
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
Can't believe this one took just over a year (looked back at first build pic's dating April 09).

Took her to the field today to show her off a little, and set up to fly. Too windy today to test a new bird, but I got my new handle and lines ball parked, and ran the motor some in the plane. Takes a lot of self control not to just "go for it" no matter what the conditions. Even as it was, just having the plane in my stand it almost ground looped on me and I just caught it. Got to start the hangar rash sometime I guess...

Anyways, here she is, hope to fly soon as the weather cleans up a bit and start trimming and get ready for the Nats.

EricV
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:23:11 PM by Eric Viglione »

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Starfire II done!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »
Awesome!  That totally ROCKS!
Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »
I especially like the flames on the bottom. Very slick.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
Nice lookin' plane eric!  I also like the flames on the bottom ... no wonder it took ya a year!  :-)

See ya soon, Larry

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:03:33 AM »
Awesome Eric!  Hope it flies as good as it looks!

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:11:57 AM »
Eric, I like the way it turned out, hope it flies good also.
AMA 28627

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:07:15 AM »
Looks great Eric!

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »
Eric...as Billy Crystal would say....LOOKING MAHVELUS ! .....a little info plz, I see PA 65.....what prop? ....is that a Randy Smith spinner?....built up wing or foam? ....what type of finish? ...ETC !
  Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Eric Viglione

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »
Thanks guyz, I really appreciate it. It's ok for one of mine...they all look good in pictures, heh.  I really can't wait to fly her, but even the long range forecast looks iffy. What's with the weather this year? All the good flying days are during the week when I'm at work!  HB~>

Gene - Some quick and dirty spec's:

Randy Smith AeroProducts kit, foam wing, PA 65, Quiet Pipe at 18.5", Mejlik 13.75 x 4.5 prop cut to 13" (this is nearly a Bolly clone Randy had done up and stretched the diameter, so just cut to length you want and go), Randy's NeedleNose spinner, Bolly carbon gear, glass wheel pants.

Nitrate base and silkspan. Certified butyrate w/zinc stearate filler coats. Finish is KlassKote Epoxy from the primer to clear, total finish weight 4 ounces. Yup, I said 4 ounces... that epoxy stuff covers like mad, you just have to remember its not dope and don't go laying it on like crazy. (that's KlassKote gray primer, KlassKote "aluminum" base and KlassKote trim colors with satin catalyst to keep weight down, and then KlassKote gloss clear)

Final trimmed weight undetermined as I haven't flown it yet, but depending on how much tip/tail/nose weight it may need, anywhere from 63 to ?? ounces ready to fly. If I really wanted it to be a feather weight, I could loose the wheel pants and save a couple ounces, switch from the needle nose to the classic spinner, etc. but it would probably not be worth the effort (as well as changing the appearance). The thing is nearly 700 squares, and I don't think I'd want it much if any lighter. As it is, I've shaved about 4 or 5 ounces off this one compared to my first StarFire.
Just have to fly it and see what I get...

Thanks,
EricV

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:23:49 AM »
63 oz!! that is great. This one should be a killer! :o

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Super job Eric!  Can't wait to hear howyou like it..gotta be a winner.

Phil

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt Colan

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
Can't believe this one took just over a year (looked back at first build pic's dating April 09).

Took her to the field today to show her off a little, and set up to fly. Too windy today to test a new bird, but I got my new handle and lines ball parked, and ran the motor some in the plane. Takes a lot of self control not to just "go for it" no matter what the conditions. Even as it was, just having the plane in my stand it almost ground looped on me and I just caught it. Got to start the hangar rash sometime I guess...

Anyways, here she is, hope to fly soon as the weather cleans up a bit and start trimming and get ready for the Nats.

EricV

You Da Man !!!! #^ ;D ;D

Offline Monty Summach

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
Hi Eric,
From a fellow Starfire driver - that looks really sharp.
Regards,
Monty

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »
WARNING Eric's Stunt Plane is on Fire WARNING[/font]
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 11:39:32 AM »
Eric,

Gorgeous! (You know me and flames)!

Comments from Ward-O in Vancouver, B.C. (Mitchell graduated....Yipeeeeeeee)!
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 01:35:34 AM »
Hi Eric,

That really really looks cherry!  I like it.  63 oz at this stage is gravy.  It should be awesome in the air!

I hope we get together soon, it's been a while!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Eric Viglione

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »
Wow, I really appreciate the kudo's y'all, thanks... Some credit must go to Derek Barry, who did my stencils. Derek has started a side line of doing custom stencils, and he did my lettering, and we came up with my flames together, and he made my vision come to life. I just sent him some cad files of the flame I liked, and he replicated and stitched and sized them for my wings. All I had to do was paint them, and air-brush in the tips. Made me almost look smart, heh heh. Derek has the correct low tack vinyl too that most sign shops don't, so you won't tear your paint up.

Big thanks to Derek for all his help!

As long as I'm at it, here's a pictorial of masking my Starfire, and using Derek's stencils. I tend to mask the whole plane at once, and paint, then cover up what's painted. I also use some reverse masking too, like on the rudder numbers, or little vinyl stars, to let the base color show through when you peel them off.

Give Derek a call, he'll hook you up with some great product and service!!!

EricV

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
Thanks Eric!  I rellly enjoyed doing this, and the plane does look great if I don't say so myself 8)

Eric Viglione

Re: Starfire II done! (And Flew today!)
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
Yeehaw! It's officially a bird of flight now. Adrenaline probably covers a multitude of trim sin's on a new plane, but I'm pretty happy so far. Did everything except the RWO on it's maiden flight, so it can't be too horrible.

Second flight I dialed one turn of wedge on the threaded trim tab to level the wings a little better. This might have been just to get the trim tab level, with the fine threads, you can hardly see it move with one rotation.

Third flight I widened the handle spacing one set of holes from the very conservative setting I started out with "just in case" and will probably move them out a little further still, just to see what happens, then move them back once I hit a point I don't like.

The PA65 runs great. (Thanks Randy!  ;) ) My lap times are a tick slow, but the motor is breaking in the right spots, so tonight I pitched up the tips just a hair, barely measurable, just less than 1/4", at the very last station and if we get more good weather I'll try her out tomorrow and see what I get.

As far as the plane goes, it's got nice flat pull outs, and tracks good in the rounds. Grooves good too. Nothing like a new plane to get the juices flowing again and start the season. I'm stoked!  #^

EricV

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Starfire II done! (And flew today!)
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
I'll second that: YEEHAW!  #^

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:12 AM »
Great news Eric! I am sure that you will be in good form for the NATS this year.  #^

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Time to practice hard so you can back up all those big and bad text messages about the new plane! y1 VD~

Glad its flying, and flying well.  I can't wait to finish mine...
Steve

Eric Viglione

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:55 PM »
Hey Steve, you know the cycle, I even warned you in advance last week that I would rave about the plane after the first few flights, and in about a week or two I'll be complaining about what a huge heap of crap it is...  LL~

Isn't that the natural progression of new stunt ships?  HB~>

EricV

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Hey Steve, you know the cycle, I even warned you in advance last week that I would rave about the plane after the first few flights, and in about a week or two I'll be complaining about what a huge heap of crap it is...  LL~

Isn't that the natural progression of new stunt ships?  HB~>

EricV

Mine almost wound up being that, but it is in one piece again, and is ready for silkspan again!  glad the new plane flies well for ya.  Now get practicing!!! H^^
Matt Colan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here