News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalker 61 - model size / wing area  (Read 392 times)

Offline Mike Quinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Stalker 61 - model size / wing area
« on: April 27, 2024, 02:49:36 PM »
Hi

Any ideas on optimum weight and wing area for a Stalker 61 RE?

Cheers

Mike

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stalker 61 - model size / wing area
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 08:20:14 AM »
The Stalkers are lightweight and well designed engines,   powerful for their type.   They aren't going to be quite the powerhouse a piped RO Jett .61 or PA .61 would be but will pull similar airplanes.   I would work within a range of 620 to 670 square inches of wing area and hope to keep the weight under 64 ounces.  Most any airplane designed originally for a ST .46 back when would be well suited-just more adequately powered.  With their light weight AND low fuel load (very fuel efficient) I wouldn't worry about shortening the nose or making other changes as you might for a heavier engine.  A Shark 45 is an airplane that would be a good candidate and so a good size/weight to work from.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 02:19:48 PM »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback.

Any recommendations on fuel, props, engine setup welcome.

Cheers

mike

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 03:58:25 PM »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback.

Any recommendations on fuel, props, engine setup welcome.

Cheers

mike
I don't actually have any myself so someone else will have to help with that.  Guys I fly with use them ( .51-.76 ) and like how they perform.  My observation is that you'd run these long-stroke style,  4-2 break with a 12-13" x 6 prop to start.  They will run without nitro but I believe these guys are using a small amount,  3-5%. 
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 04:24:09 PM »
Hi Mike. If you “search” this forum (John Miller stalker) you will get lots of good Stalker info…John has really good knowledge on Stalkers, and is very willing to share! Also, Tom Dixon is the Stalker dealer in the US, can answer your questions as well.
Regards,
Bill
ama 72090

Offline Russell Graves

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi Mike,

Here is a good forum post
https://www.stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/stalker-st66-lt-ls-engine/

Ruslan Kurenkov makes an interesting post about the fuel being zero nitro, 8% castor and 8% synthetic. He said any more castor that that results in castor buildup on the piston. He has two posts so scroll down to the bottom to see the second post.

I am running a Discovery Retro 68 on zero nitro, 8% castor, and 8% synthetic, and it runs great with no castor build up on the piston or head. It's less oil than I usually use, but I tried it and it's working for me. I know it's not a Stalker but I believe these motors are very similar in fuel requirements and power delivery.

best of luck,
Russell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 09:02:52 PM »
Alan Resinger flew several Stalker .61's in a .46-sized Gypsy. You might ask him or Chris Cox for opinions. Alan and Chris both then switched to electrons and Alan's flying improved a lot, IMO due to better line tension with electro.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here