News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: St. Louis FAI Team Trials  (Read 880 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
St. Louis FAI Team Trials
« on: February 16, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
    I think the FAI Team Trials were held here in St. Louis twice, I think, sponsored by the old Yellow Jackets model airplane club. How many out there attended? I'm just curious how it was laid out, what was flown on what circles and such. I know speed and maybe racing in the speed circle, which still exists today.  What events were flown?  Doc Holliday mentioned meeting Big Art Adamissin at the team trials and that is what triggers the question, although I have always been curious about that. This was before I could get around on my own and before my involvement in stunt. I lived about 30 miles north, near where I live now, and we just never got to south county that much at that time. There was some coverage in the magazines, but not much more than shots of contestants and their airplanes.
   Thanks a lot in advance,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: St. Louis FAI Team Trials
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
I timed at an F2C event there, probably in 1969. I flew in two F2D team trials there. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
If I remember right it was  1972 when Will Cruden and I tried for the F2C team.  The speed circle was the circle that as used.  The far east circle was used for the F2B entries.  This was before the center circle was made into a square pad.   F2A would fly a round and then we, F2C, got to fly a round.   1974 was the year the trials were held in Lake Charles, Louisiana.  After the 1976 NATS I dropped F2C full time.   1974 Bob Hill was my pilot.  The last pilot I had in F2C competition was Melvin Schuette.   As some will tell you, any of the F2 events takes a lot of dedication.  Wish I had taken pictures back then. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »

Hi Howard;
     Was that F2D Combat? Was that all that was flown? That was probably Gary Frost and the Hot Heads? I have seen more of the stunt trials in the old mags, but have read about the other disciplines, and wondered if they were all held at the same place and same time back then? I know it couldn't be and isn't done that way now. There was a ton more manpower in the area at that time from several clubs so could have been done I guess. I sure would have liked to have seen these events. I was building and flying back then, but no drivers license until 1974. If I had known about them I would have bugged my big brother Tom to drop me off there for the day. I lived in North St. Louis County, and Buder is in South County, and at that time it might as well have been in Australia!
   When the grass is cut really low out beyond the paved circles, near the power lines, if you scratch around enough you can find the concrete center pads that are out there. Enough for 3 or 4 combat circles if I remember correctly.
    Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 06:18:25 PM »
If I remember right it was  1972 when Will Cruden and I tried for the F2C team.  The speed circle was the circle that as used.  The far east circle was used for the F2B entries.  This was before the center circle was made into a square pad.   F2A would fly a round and then we, F2C, got to fly a round.   1974 was the year the trials were held in Lake Charles, Louisiana.  After the 1976 NATS I dropped F2C full time.   1974 Bob Hill was my pilot.  The last pilot I had in F2C competition was Melvin Schuette.   As some will tell you, any of the F2 events takes a lot of dedication.  Wish I had taken pictures back then. D>K

Hi Doc;
     So they did fly all the disciplines at the same event? Combat, speed, racing and stunt? That sure must have been something.

Thanks again,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »
Team Trials were held in St Louis in 67 and 69.  Team selections for Speed, Acrobatics and Team Race were held.  I was a judge there in 69.

F2B Team members for the 68 World Championships were Bob Gieseke, Jim Silhavy and Steve Wooley.

F2B Team members for the 70 World Championships were Gerry Phelps, Bob Gieseke and Bill Werwage

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
There was no combat at the world champs until 1978. The first US F2D team trials was at Buder Park in 1977.  Gary was
team selection committee chairman then.  I don’t remember trials for any other events being held at either Buder Park F2D team trials.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:33:53 AM »
Well I didn't get back to flying/competing until 1970.  That was the only NATS my brother attended. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here