News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strega ARC / ARF Engine alignment  (Read 728 times)

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Strega ARC / ARF Engine alignment
« on: March 21, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »
Hi Friends
I'm working in an Brodak Strega ARC .
I have been looking for information in many places and also in this forum, but I still can't find anything that indicates the alignment of the engine.
Should I install the motor with zero degrees or does it need something out?
I will use a ST60 Engine, What tank capacity do you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Miguel Poduje
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:55:10 PM by Miguel Poduje »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Srega ARC / ARF Engine alignment
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 10:05:57 AM »
   I almost always mount engines with 1 degree down thrust and 1 degree right side thrust, as spelled out in Bob Whitely's article in Stunt News, "Things That Always Work." It was in Stunt news years ago but might be paraphrased here on the forum somewhere.  Since reading that article when it was published, I have followed that practice with great results. As far as tank capacity, it depends on the venturi set up in your engine, but I would allow for 6 ounce tank minimum, and be able to  go to a 7 or 8 ounce tank if needed. Again, your fuel usage depends on the model size and  weight, venturi size, altitude and nitro content in your fuel.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 07:47:25 PM »
Its more you DEFINATELY dont want INTHRUST .

A straight edge , 3 ' or 1 metre rule or suchlike , flat side to crank , on the prop drive washer .
You can finnesse the thrust line . DRILLING the mount holes At say 1 degree , should allow you to
set the engine from Zero to Two degrees , if youve clearanced the bearers to suit .
Spinner alignment on Spinner gets to be the issue .

This is reworked for a 2 1/4 spinner . Custom F Glassed cowl .

With the .45  std. bolt pattern , and the S T 60 , if your useing say 1/16 steel plates & 1/8 in. UNF nuts soldered on it ,
You can run Dual Pattern , as they will miss each other . The b' Std. .45 pattern is G 51 - OS SF etc etc Heli Derived .

Id Strongly suggest you hook up a moving rudder , as it evens the tension in the turns in the square eights .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 08:04:05 PM »
P. S. they tend to give your ARM a WORKOUT in any WIND . Start Exerciseing !  LL~

Tank in mines the big brodak 150 cc / 6 Oz. or  Six Inch ( I think ) anyway .
Running 15 % it might get the whole pattern . PROP figures enourmously in consumption .
A thinned timber prop will run freer that a stock bulky thing . The SF 45 is a match for the ST 60
in power & Consumption .

I use 18 thou. Laystrate . And ive got 18 & 20 thou. ' solids ' If you want to see ' line stretch '
fly it IN THE VWIND on light stranded wire .

GET the picture . ;D

Urtnowski's Strega , Cardinal , Red Baron etc etc can be thought of as derivatives , a similar ' set up ' being applicable to ALL .

CHECK with big thumb thrusts that your aileron ER FLAP thigos for the wire wont fall off . Id RE EPOXY THEM severly .
( I did new flaps & Tail Assy. on mine . and hung bellcrank . Which bound on hot days .Squark .Sounded like flaps .
 a STEEL BELLCRANK , on 5/32 steel post . As it got hot the ends grabed the steel spacer washers.
Cut a hole under . A few blows with a cold chisel & 20 Oz hammer , and mucho lube'o , got it good .
THAT is the sortta plane a Strega is ! .

You wanna keepa da weight down . 60's best . Mines 80 ounces . And FLYSA GOOD .
https://stunthanger.com/smf/arf's/strega-a-r-c-build/msg534616/#msg534616

This is the President haranged into aving a go , unpreconcieved , as he didnt know , 5 minutes previous .

Thats with the SF 45 Clone , rather'n richin it 2 clicks for optimum , Id leaned it 2 clicks ( OS needle ) for definate full pattern .
Its a thined n worked 12 x 6 wood . SO RICHNESS / PROP / Barometer will affect the duration . And Nitro % .Lighter Fluid'd add range , and keep the candle lit .

A well looked after Super Tigre would be V similar . Mine sat in a solid 4 level , and run good in manouvers , on a 65 Oz THING this weekend . Eventually , with the right prop .
A Bloke who flew with Noah on the Ark was saying a 60 will run a good 4-2 LIKE A 46 . The MERCO Muffler seems a good bet  , You cant stangle them AND get power .

P.D.P. ST .60's are said to be more economical than Std Versions . The .312 intake & free Flowing muffler ARE a " SIX OUNCE " set up , plenty of FUEL for COOLING .

Now WHAT was the QUESTION ? .  :-X

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:35:40 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 08:14:20 PM »
Now Your For IT ! .

S?P

These are from Kivin King and Kohorts , on the " The Walt Brownell Channel " on the tube you . Fankly . H^^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 08:28:48 PM »
PSHAW ,

gettin n injun in ,

put "  1:25:05 / 1:28:53 Strega arf construction & flying part 3 " in ' tube . WHERE will it All End .  R%%%%

Strega ARF mods & flights

STREGA by Windy

NEVER MIND the BOLLOCKS here's the real STREGA

Strega Repair

walt brownell channel. strega     n~

Jose flying day - Brian and Windy day arf - RJ90 scoops & blocks - Strega arf ///. about 1 : 20 - >  let us know how you go . 50 press ups each morning , a 6 K jog , and a bit of weight lifting & wrestling , and youll be prepared .  ;D

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Strega ARC / ARF Engine alignment
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 12:18:13 AM »
I have a ST60 in my Strega.  Its pointed straight ahead and it pulls like a mule.   I love it.  You will need a 7oz tank.

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
Re: Strega ARC / ARF Engine alignment
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 09:07:40 AM »
Working on my Strega ARC Rojett 76 side exhaust All together with no finish on fuse Ultra coat on rest of plane Dry weight as it stands 64 oz 2 degrees of motor offset and a Rabe rudder  I put wheel spats on mine. Looks nice. Finish weight should be about 70-74 OZ No problem for the big Rojett. Big Plane Big POWER!!!!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here