Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spruce  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spruce
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
I used to design that in almost exclusively for wing spars in gliders and RC projects, but now it seems hard to find.

Why isn't it used in CL?  Do folks feel it's too heavy, even after accounting for its greater strength and using smaller pieces?  Or did it just never catch on?

And does anyone know who sells it other than Sig and Aircraft Spruce & Specialty? 
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Spruce
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
This might not be for everyone, but I cut my own spruce spars.  The wood is free for me, and my son has a very complete woodworking shop with all the right machine tools.

I used to get spruce pieces at the LHS, but they seldom had any stock that was straight.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
If you can saw your own, Alaska Cedar is a great substitute. It's yellow, not red. Our NW F1A team member and Boeing Stress Engineer, Jim Walters used it. I think I may still have a slab of it around. Someplace... :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:35:29 PM »
out of curiosity, why use spruce at all ? and for what parts ?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:59 PM »
It has a better strength to weight ratio than balsa, and is very shatter resistant.  So it's a good material to use for wing spars that'll get a lot of punishment.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:24:20 AM »
It has a better strength to weight ratio than balsa, and is very shatter resistant.  So it's a good material to use for wing spars that'll get a lot of punishment.
So, if you were going to use spruce for the spars in a design that called for 1/4" square balsa,  what size spruce would you substitute ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:40 AM »
So, if you were going to use spruce for the spars in a design that called for 1/4" square balsa,  what size spruce would you substitute ?
1/4 x 1/8, maybe 1/4 x 3/16 if I wanted to make it stouter at the same time.
AMA 64232

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
  y1 y1 y1 y1 y1
 Tim:
 I've been using spruce in many difference area in my CL Stunt ships for about the last 8 - 10 years. Each new ship I expand the spruce construction a little further. Very happy with the results.  #^ #^ #^ #^ #^
 Gene

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »
What ever happened to Bic Brannon?  He had a take apart Barnstormer he used to bring to VSC each year in a small carry on type case.  Was very little balsa in it.  Kept hoping he would do a construction article on it.  It was also very light. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
Spruce is used a lot outside of North America. We've been spoiled with abundant supplies of balsa here. If you look at East Eurpean or Chinese model construction, they use spruce for all stress members.

1/4 x1/4 balsa spar can easily be substituted with a spruce spar half its thickness: 1/4 x 1/8. Just make sure to stand the spar up(narrow end up).

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
UUUhhhh...
Sorry Tim but spruce does not have a better strength to weight ratio than balsa...in fact almost no materials do.  Spruce makes good spars because it's simply harder and less fragile.  It's also easier to find in straight pieces in small square sizes.

Randy Cuberly.
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 06:43:31 AM »
Tom Morris has been a long time advocate for using spruce in C/L stunters.  Also smaller size balsa (for things like fuselagfe sides) than most people think is "necessary".  Personally, I have used 3/32nd in place of 1/8th in a LOT of my planes.  Especially the ".35" size stunters.  My Geo Juno (modified Saturn) uses 3/32nd sides and is now powered with a PA 61 on pipe.  Nary a problem after 14 years! ;D

The Spacehound I built from European planes called for spruce spars.  it is a fairly thin plane with minimal LE sheeting.  And, it is necessary to use the spruce unless you use a bigger balsa spar. ;D  (speaking from personal {bad} experience! LOL!! )

But, we DO tend to overbuild in the wrong places, most of the time.......

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »
The strength to weight issue is interesting.  "aircraft" spruce does very well because the FAA has strict specifications for the density, number of growth rings per inch, lack of knots or deformities, etc.  Generally, a larger, lower density piece of balsa will have better strength to weight and better stiffness than other woods in model applications.  Go to too low a density, grain and firmness of the wood become very important.  Mush soft 4 lb. wood will not be very strong. But if it is firm, has a definite grain, and isn't abused otherwise, it has the best strength/weight of any wood.

Balsa, especially low density wood, is prone to wind checking, which is cracks across the grain in the wood(usually nearly invisible) which make it useless for anything but carving blocks.  Other wood can also get wind checked, so take a close look at any spars and try bending and pulling on the wood.  A wind-checked piece will break very easily with no strings or sign of anything going across the break.  Just a more or less flat across break that looks like it was almost cut(which it almost has since the wood fibers are mostly already broken).

Overall, the strength of a piece of wood is primarily proportional to its density.  Heavy dense wood is stronger than lighter, less dense wood, across the board for a given cross section.  But carefully selected wood with straight grain and no defects can easily be twice as strong as a poorly selected piece.  So a spruce spar will be pretty much the same strength as a balsa spar of the same weight(not the same dimensions).
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here