News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spray painting  (Read 876 times)

Offline Scott Hartford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Spray painting
« on: November 23, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »
Someone asked me the other day about spray painting a door and I suggested he use a fat cap to get good coverage and he looked at me like a meatball in onion soup. I guess fat caps are not common knowledge...I have a friend who is a grafitti artist by profession (on canvas, not bridges and train cars...) and years ago showed me his selection of "caps" (spray nozzles for paint cans). Artist brushes come in many styles and so do caps. Sometimes just having an unclogged one can save the day. There are many to choose from and the "fat caps" work particularly well when you need good coverage with a wide spray pattern so you don't get stripes and can cover large surfaces quickly. Some of the bigger fat caps can empty a can very quickly! Here is a link to a good place to get them: http://www.grafcaps.com/    Just another tool you may need....

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Spray painting
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
When it comes to doors and furniture, I still use a brush.   Spraying for me is doing the model planes in color and final clear coats.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:03:29 AM »
Scott,

I've actually produced some 4' x 8' images of graffiti art from photos supplied by a customer. Never worked on walls because I never did what you would call Graffiti. The only walls I ever worked on had advertising or lettering and I was paid for it.   ;D

Here's one example done ages ago.

Anyway, having never worked with graffiti paint aerosol cans before, it was interesting that the local supplier had the stuff locked up!

Locked up because it was quite common, so they said, that the graffiti artists who purchased the products, made attempts to get them for free.

Now, you may say, so what? And that's understandable. But in all the years I've been frequenting artist supply houses, well over 40, I've never seen any art products locked up in screen enclosers.

Graffiti artists, go figure!

Thanks for this Thread and that source, you've got me thinking!  n~

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »
Scott
Have you or anyone you know used these caps with commercially available aerosol paint cans to paint a model? I would think that if this fat cap produces a spray pattern similar to a spray gun it may be a possible, economic substitute?
Joshua

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
I use them with Rustoleum and they do spray very well. There are many varieties that spray different patterns so a little experimenting will be in order...

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
        Thanks Scott for posting this great information. I went to the website and ordered a sample pack to try.
           Doug

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here