News:

• May 07, 2024, 09:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spray bar and needle valve for a McCoy .35  (Read 7958 times)

Offline Tom Rounds

• lineflyer
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Spray bar and needle valve for a McCoy .35
« on: April 25, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »
OK I have given up on finding a couple of needle valves for the 2 McCoy .35 red heads that I have. What spray bar Assembly would be a good replacement ?
Thanks,
Tom
AMA 7359

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Spray bar and needle valve for a McCoy .35
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »
Give Randy Smith a call he probobly has a PA assy that'll work.
Leester
ama 830538

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »
I use the K & B  Universal NVA. they work Great!  PM me for prices. I have many in stock
Joe Just

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
OK I have given up on finding a couple of needle valves for the 2 McCoy .35 red heads that I have. What spray bar Assembly would be a good replacement ?
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom

I have not cut "exact "ones  yet, but the PA Style  FOX 35 will fit and  work great in the McCoy 35  40.
Also the  40 size PA type will work on GreenHeads

Randy

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:18:07 AM »
The standard Super Tigre units for the 34 and 51 fit it perfectly. It's almost all I use.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:03:55 PM by Garf »

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
I bought a Red Head used at a flea market years ago and it looked to me that it had an O.S. Max NVA on it.  Ran great.
Jerry

Offline Tony Clifford

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
Hi Tom, give Mercoa Engines a go on http://www.mecoa.com/ they sell a replacement to suit the Series 21 McCoy which also fits the Red Head.
Cheers, Tony.  n~

Offline Clayton Berry

• Grey haired kid to be wary of
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
Nope.  Not the way to go.

Park the antique $4.95 engine in drawer.  Or on top of desk, should you have much paper and a slight breeze.  A cardboard box, or maybe insert into a projectile dispensing machine that will hurl it towards the neighbor's swimming pool at warp speed using acetelyne or black powder.  Attach several treble hooks, a few neon rubber band strips, and use it to troll for rock fish in the Chesapeake Bay.  Looks as appealing as some of the crap I've used.

Drop $50-$100 on a new engine.  Use an ST type needle valve assembly, and some incredibly sharp propeller made of magic material that will rip your lungs out if you screw up taking the glow driver off or reach for the aforementioned needle with less that stellar attention to the dangers involved. 

And do it for years.  Check on the McCoy now and then, but never ever get any silly ideas about using it.

Attach to a leather thong and hang around neck to ward off voo doos, gremlins, warlocks, hippies, beatniks, shuffleboard experts, Fuller Brush salesmen, and toothless actors from the movie Deliverance.  Don't argue with success.  100% success rate.  Except for the one large breasted babe in the Gremlin that wanted directions to the house next door to mine.  An abberation.  2, actually.  Her mother never showed, but her sister was really nice.  2 more abberations. 

A .29 and a .35, if you know what I mean.
Clayton - forever busy committing random acts of coolness

Willis Swindell

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »
Tom
found one mcCoy needle valve, new in package. Send me your address and its yours.
Willis  H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:33:34 AM »
Clayton, wait until the McCoy clan gets a hold on you.  Jim Kraft here in Kansas has been winning using the Redhead McCoys.  If I could get parts I would still be using one.  McCoy .35 Readhead was my first engine and I still have it in the stash.  To start it you need to know the secret as I have litterally worn it out. 

Remember in some parts of this great country we can still fly without a muffler.  Hope the man finds his needle valves as McCoy's are good engines with castor in the fuel.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:52:19 AM »
Clayton,Clayton
Shame on you for tromping on peoples Icon.
While you and I know that what your saying is fairly close to the truth .,
Why bust their bubble.
Just an opinion don't you Know..
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »
Thanks,
Tom

Tom, being an active CLer back in the days when the McCoy was an everyday engine, let me say a few things.
1. Ref. needle valves, the OS regular NV is tops. Enya is a very close 2nd choice. In a regular venturi use some small washers as needed to place the NV metering hole directly BACK towards the cylinder of the engine. Rotate it to just be out of sight. That is the lowest pressure differential in the venturi and will serve you well.
I use to use the same set up in Foxes, Johnson Stunt Supreme (which needed a restricted venturi) and a G.Aldrich built ST. 40. Actually my well broken-in Fox Stunt 40 was every bit as good as the ST 40. I only used Fox Superfuel in those days.

2. If your McCoy 35 is the traditional testor's built Red-Head stunt-type engine (NOT a Duromatic rear rotary or silver colored sport engine) it will require a very oily fuel to last any significant time, or be "swelled".
 Back in the '60s when there was a lot of iron pistons, especially in the speed circles, a favorite item was to "Swell" the pistons with very high RPM , props cut down to short diameter, and let 'em heat up big time. Better have a fair supply of pistons when doing this. Now there were some very successful "swellings" of the McCoy 29-40 engines. It can be done.

3. If your McCoy 35 is one of the Series 21 engines, gray and ugly, then that engine has a dykes ring and not subject to "swelling".  Those engines performed fairly well in the RC mode. However in the CL mode, they may well have done OK for the sport flier, but since the piston, ring, and sleeve porting was simply all K&B Series 64, then it was NOT set up for Stunt, regardless of the claims made by Testors. So proceed at your desire.

In 1971, I was at my peak of CL Stunt in the Chicago area. At the last moment, I agreed to fly a preproduction Series 21-.40 at the NATS. I had 4 runs prior to my first official. OK but not really a confidence builder!  :-\
Well on that flight I knew I had a real flight going using an original design model (That was the last year of Navy judging) until as I came out of the 4-leaf clover that #&%XXX*^# went into rat race lean and I landed after some 12 minutes. No pattern points and no landing points. Either would have placed me in the finals. Of course I set rich for the 2nd flight and wobbled through the pattern like I had never flown a stunt pattern.  HB~>

The OS NV cannot correct ALL problems.  ''

Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Clayton Berry

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 11:27:41 PM »
I don't mean to tromp.  It is actually a quite handsome engine.  Charlie Fikes gave me a new .19 in about 1973 or 74 or so.  Had a son named Jeff.  Atlanta, if I recall.  Flew B-52s in Viet Nam.

Anyway - as kids without adult supervision, we learned to use Missle Mist.  In everything.  Wore out the Johnsons and the Foxes and the McCoys.  4-2 Break?  Never heard of it.  Compared everything to a Voo Doo on a crank case presurrized G21 35. 

Still think it are a good paperweight.  The .19 worked good on a Goldberg Shoestring.  A four ounce tank is too much, unless your wife is really being annoying.  You go up, she takes nap, and it's really all you need.  Except for a date with Sandra Bullock.

Offline Tom Rounds

• lineflyer
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »
Gotta say something about the McCoy. I know its not a top line engine by a long shot. But its about days growing up in Oklahoma  spent in a field behind my house with a $6.95 red head .35 on a Goldberg Shoestring. My right index finger all full of cuts cause I didn't really know what I was doing. I couldn't afford a Fox, man they were like $13.95. If I had a quart of Testers 39 we were in heaven. Most of the time a pint was all I could get. The older guy that taught me to fly (he was all of 18 at the time) had a Fox .35 on a Giant Stuntmaster. We thought he was God. A Fox, life was good.
I have way more engines now than a sane person should have, but by getting this old McCoy back in the air and maybe turning the clock back at least in dreamland, well you just can't hold that against me.

(I would still like to find just one good running McCoy .40 Red Head that would no way ever become a paperweight)

Tom
AMA 7359

Offline Clayton Berry

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I know how you start it.

3&1 oil.  Like, I've never seen Hal Howard (of Virginia) doing it?  Ha!  Thing is, he probably has 50 of 'em.  Says it ain't worn out yet.

Nah, they're sort of cool, but mine are all worn out big-time.  As a kid, we discovered Missel Mist.  And hey, then wimmin and motorcycles.  I don't own any real high zoot engines, but I don't fiddle with the old stuff. 

Have a never run Cox Olympic .15 I picked up at the Lebenon PA swap meet a few years ago.  Was ready to re-live my youth.  And then I launched a guy using a TD .09 - I remember that sound.  Which explains why I have to turn up the sound on the TV these days.  What an annoying racket.  I have two pairs of shooting muffs, but I still don't need that noise.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here