News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:44:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinners  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spinners
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
It has been years since I have had to buy plastic spinners.  I think the last batch I bought were made by Dubro and they were OK but seems like I had to carve the holes out to fit APC props.  I realize this is probably a personal preference thing but what brands do you guys recommend as far as quality and ease of installation?  I am not looking for metal spinners, I have plenty of those.

Thank you
Mike

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Spinners
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
  Hi Mike;
    If I HAVE to use a plastic spinner, I go with SIG spinners. The way they are constructed, it's easier to cut out the slots to fit APC props. There is NO spinner on the market that I know of that will accept an APC prop, except for a custom ordered Tru-Turn metal spinner. I mostly use Great Planes aluminum spinners. They are reasonably priced, easy to work with, and go with any color scheme, but can be painted if needed.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
The Great Planes plastic spinners with the aluminum backplate are  the only ones I'd use. They're lighter than most anything that's not CF, and they're affordable. They are only made for 2 blade props, which may or may not be a problem for you. Lots are used on serious stunt models. If you like to use an electric finger, I'd suggest getting black ones, so the starter skidmarks won't show.  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:17 PM »
Thank you Dan and Steve.

Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »

Mike,

This is the Model Airplane God's way of telling you not to use plastic spinners, ever.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:29:30 AM »
The Great Planes plastic spinners with the aluminum backplate are  the only ones I'd use. They're lighter than most anything that's not CF, and they're affordable. They are only made for 2 blade props, which may or may not be a problem for you. Lots are used on serious stunt models.

I used these. They have an extra-light electric version, too. I print my own 3-bladers to go on the GP backplates.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 09:22:32 PM by Motorman »

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
Thanks to all of your responses.  I have plenty of metal spinners but had some sport planes that I wanted to put the plastic spinners on.  I looked at one of the old ones I had from years ago and I am pretty sure by looking at it , it is made by Great Planes. 

Regards
Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here