News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:37:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some Thoughts on JUNKYARD WARS!!  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Some Thoughts on JUNKYARD WARS!!
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:41:16 AM »
By far, the most popular event, at least for the spectators!  #^  #^
Early on, I was a participant but then in a moment of temporary insanity, I volunteered to run the event.
Thoroughly enjoyable.
I remember when it was a Herculean feat just to get the creation airborn, never mind any stunts. Now, we're doing an impressive array of maneuvers.
Last year, I made the suggestion that participants should take advantage of the displacement limit and go for the largest - .25.
This year they all did and every plane flew - some flights were a bit short but it was not a matter of power.
In the past, participants tried the smaller engines, down to .049. They just didn't work. And logically. Look what the powerplant has to accomplish - these birds aren't exactly featherweight!
Here are a few things I've learned over the years:
1) Keep it SIMPLE. There are a few designs that have proved their worth over the years and the trend is toward them, especially in that they show more potential each year.
2) Minimise your building team size. Two or three people seems to work the best.
3) Organise your tools and building materials - bring what you think you'll need. Clutter causes confusion.
4) Use a building table - Believe me, it really helps.
5) Make your motor mounts extra long - use the engine location for balance. Then trim the mounts
6) GO FOR THE MAXIMUM ENGINE SIZE - POWER RULES!!!  y1  y1  y1
Bob Z.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Some Thoughts on JUNKYARD WARS!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:12:57 AM »
I've seen the Junkbirds morphing over the past few years. If you give these guys a challenge, they'll figure out how to make it work pretty quick. Bob your suggestion are going to raise the bar again next year. Me and my guys watched closely this year to see what tools the guys brought with them and we think next year we'll be competing in Junk Yard wars.
One thing we'll be doing is getting orange crates from the local grocery stores and holding our own Junk Tard war to test both the plane and to practice getting it built quick.
I love this event and thank you for doing such a great job putting it on.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:51:17 AM »
Bob,
You forgot the most important thing..... HAVE FUN !!!! LL~

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:10:15 AM »
With the people getting the hang of it now.  You may have to throw a wrench in the works and change materials.  We tried Pizza boxes years ago. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
I agree with Doc on this one.  Some change in the building materials may be needed every couple of years to keep people on their toes.
John
John Paris

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
Bob
Please do not change the building materials yet. 

We are just learning how to use the Contest Grade wood you are providing now.

Clancy
Sponsor of Team Rootbeard
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »
Great feedback, guys - THANKS.
I spent some time chatting with Watt Moore yesterday. He made a few suggestions that I beleive will enhance Junkyard Wars.
Here are a few things that will be added for next year.

Materials: In addition to the top grade wood I've supplied in the past, I will be sneaking in some genuine trimwood in varioius sizes. It'll be mixed in and you'll just have to find it.
Bonus points: I will award bonus points for functional and innovative construction, providing it works.
For example, landing gear.   Points if you include it in the build, points if you succesfully take off, points if you land without flipping over.
Another thought: Unique design. A biplane, for example, will garner bonus points for the build and more IF it flys.

Suggestions??????????????????????????

Bob Z.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »
One thing that would make it interesting is, once the wood/debris is selected, have each team shift to the next table over. VD~  Brodak's Muscial Chairs S?P
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
One thing that would make it interesting is, once the wood/debris is selected, have each team shift to the next table over. VD~  Brodak's Muscial Chairs S?P

Great idea!  Wait till the last minute and flip a coin to see which dirrection to shift.

Honestly, I've never been to Brodak's and I don't know if I'll ever make it there, but I'm sure glad it goes on and glad you guys talk about it here.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »
YOU ARE MEANING, SHIFT TO THE NEXT PILE of WOOD???
Not to the next table where their SECRET drawings have been laid out!!!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline johnbyrne

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
There were changes this year ... and only the winning team tried it .....  :)
AMA 759448

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Keep up the good work - lots of interesting feedback as well as some personal e-mails.
Count on an interesting event in 2011.
One thing to remember - keep it simple! Complication means additional time spent.
Concentrate on performance as that is what's really raising the bar.
You'll get some token points for creative building but LOTS of points if your creativity pays off in flight.
As things got a bit dragged out this year, I plan to put a time limit on building - no, I won't tell you how long!

Bob Z.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Junkyard wars are not a new thing . While I haven't done them in years allow me to blow my horn.Simply for the pleasure of being young one more.
About 1970 I went to a contest that actually had a junkyard war and of course I designed my model well in advance of this meet., I built a biplane with a K&B 19 that not only looked really nice it flew like a scared kitten. I mean that it did more then you would believe it should do. Took 25 minutes to build too. I won and probably got banned from it forever more. Of course at that time I had my controls pre made and I had hinging and other things that took literally seconds to do. At that time it was one man one airplane.
I almost went to Brodaks this year. And thats a major statement because I'm on the other side of the state and could have been there easily. But since I'm phobic about travel anymore I didn't go.
So I guess that I'm going to have to find me a few guys that want to go and design some really strange contraption that if I have to can be built out of toilet paper if i have to and see if the fun factor can be relived.And I don't think that a junkyard model should look like a gargoyle.
So if Bob can come up with something that will really float my boat I just have to enter one more competition before it's too late for me.And I promised myself that I'd never do it.
Dennis

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »
Keep up the good work - lots of interesting feedback as well as some personal e-mails.
Count on an interesting event in 2011.
One thing to remember - keep it simple! Complication means additional time spent.
Concentrate on performance as that is what's really raising the bar.
You'll get some token points for creative building but LOTS of points if your creativity pays off in flight.
As things got a bit dragged out this year, I plan to put a time limit on building - no, I won't tell you how long!

Bob Z.

Just for my personal information, are these events AMA sanctioned?  If so how do you handle the AMA Safety Code General Rule:
"5. I will not fly my model aircraft in sanctioned events, air shows, or model demonstrations unless I have previously proven that my aircraft, control system, and piloting skills are adequate by successfully executing all maneuvers intended or anticipated in the specific event. If I am not a proficient pilot, I will not fly in these events unless assisted by an experienced pilot."

This came up in RC about a year or so ago. I do not recall any definite solution being presented by the AMA Hiearchy. 

As I define the rule, if the event is not "sanctioned", or a specific "air show" or "demonstration" then there is no problem. Now, I said "As I define..." which most probably ain't anything near what AMA might define.  S?P

Still, it would be nice-to-know how other groups handle this event.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Hoss wrote:  "Just for my personal information, are these events AMA sanctioned?  If so how do you handle the AMA Safety Code General Rule:
'5. I will not fly my model aircraft in sanctioned events, air shows, or model demonstrations unless I have previously proven that my aircraft, control system, and piloting skills are adequate by successfully executing all maneuvers intended or anticipated in the specific event. If I am not a proficient pilot, I will not fly in these events unless assisted by an experienced pilot.' "

Hi, Hoss - a very good point but as far as I know, this is not officially sanctioned by the AMA.
BUT, Rules of both safety and common sense apply.  After the build, I confiscate all aircraft and bring them into the workshop.
While evaluating and judging, I inspect every one, looking for obvious items that might be of concern - engine mounting, controls, etc. If it looks marginal, it will not be allowed to fly - period. No aircraft will be allowed to fly without a substantial pull test.
Regarding the pilots, again, common sense. No team would be dumb enough to put an inexperienced pilot in the circle. If there is any doubt, I will step in.
The rules are in place to maximize safety and enjoyment for participants and spectators - it's not a voting democracy!

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here