News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small plane crash in Clearwater  (Read 524 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Small plane crash in Clearwater
« on: February 02, 2024, 09:27:56 PM »
 Some of you may have seen this on TvNews. When I lived in Clearwater 30 years ago a friend and I rented aircraft at the Clearwater Airpark. We used that approach many times. Since there was no tower there you had to get in the approach so other would know where you were going. There was a lot of small aircraft along the beach as it was a popular flyover. This was a sketchy place to land if you were not a regular there. Cross winds power lines just off ths south approach and a 2,000 ft Tv tower just north of the field. Then there was Tampa airport just 15-20 miles to the east and you were under there control any time you were in the Tampa Bay Area..  I lived three blocks from the airport for 10 years and there were three crashes on that approach during that time. Most were in close to the airport.When  i saw it on Tv I new right were he went down.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Re: Small plane crash in Clearwater
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 06:23:58 AM »
Some "ear" witness reports mentioned engine problems. It was an older Beech Bonanza. One of my winter neighbors has a 60s vintage Bonanza at the Fort Pierce airport. He's offered to take me up for a ride. Don't have the nerve; especially since I lost an uncle in the crash of a small aircraft.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 06:50:34 AM »
Ed

I haven't checked the airport codes for Clearwater Air Park is it Class E airspace? Are you under the veil of Tampa requiring communication with them on approach?

Steve

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 07:33:58 AM »
 In the 1990’s Tampa controled all the bay area. Clearwater StPete airport was not a factor bsck then but is vey busy now and even then we stayed away from Tampa bay as most commercial traffic used it to avoid noise. We would approach over Largo then south Clearwater and then adjust for south approach to airpark. I would not want to land there at night as it has a lot off highways and homes near it and it would be hard to see. I flew gliders from there a couple of times and did not care for the location as it was to controlled for me.
Ed.     Just a side note this is near Eric V house also.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 07:50:58 AM by EddyR »

Online EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 10:42:31 AM »
In the 1990’s Tampa controled all the bay area. Clearwater StPete airport was not a factor bsck then but is vey busy now and even then we stayed away from Tampa bay as most commercial traffic used it to avoid noise. We would approach over Largo then south Clearwater and then adjust for south approach to airpark. I would not want to land there at night as it has a lot off highways and homes near it and it would be hard to see. I flew gliders from there a couple of times and did not care for the location as it was to controlled for me.
Ed.     Just a side note this is near Eric V house also.

Yup, this crash was not far from home at all. But the scary one was a few years ago about a block away off Blecher Rd... plane hit a house, and the motor came loose and ended up in their living room. I can usually hear the twin pusher prop job go over my house in the summer when they divert flights to the alternate runway (those things are LOUD), most other times you don't hear the little 170's and pipers fly over unless the windows are open and the A/C off, which is hardly ever down here.

I used to fly the rentals with Andy Shelton out of Albert W. in St Pete, Andy was a conscientious pilot. Good stunt flyer too, but he liked full scale and motorcycles more... I liked the over water approach, reminded me of Logan back home, heh. Real estate developers have been trying to grab that piece of land at Albert W. for years. The Executive air park off Hercules is so small with limited activity, that I'm surprised it hasn't been snagged yet.

EricV

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 11:44:47 AM »
 On a lighter note about Clearwater Airpark at around 1973 a Fokker Tri Motor came for a few days and offered rides. I paid my $25 and went on the flight around Clearwater and the beach. That is a very loud airplane. Inside was worse than small Cessna. I remember adds showing people having drinks and normal conversation. ~^
EddyR

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 11:54:40 AM »
Well give the peple with money the time.  We used to have several fields for planes that were not manned with controllers.  I came by ap lace just north of I-35 in KCMo that had a strip for small planes.  yes there were crashes or accidents when pilots would push rheir luck.  I think the government shut it down because it was to short for the more modern air craft and no control tower.   West of KCK there were other small grass  runways that no longer exist.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here