News:

• June 04, 2024, 01:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skyray 35  (Read 1062 times)

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
Skyray 35
« on: December 27, 2023, 12:25:52 PM »
In progress...

Just glad to be here

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Skyray 35
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:41:36 AM »
Looks good! Going with the FP 20?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 08:46:05 AM »
Looks good! Going with the FP 20?
Fox .35
Just glad to be here

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 10:28:03 AM »
Maybe this will help

Just glad to be here

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 11:34:53 AM »
Hopefully your single center landing gear wheel will be Ok for you at your flying field.

I originally had a single wheel on a Flite Streak. Our CL field is a bit bumpy, and I kept tearing the covering underside of the outer wing on routine landings when the wing tip would drag. I eventually changed it out to 2-wheel gear. I did the same on my new Skyray 35 build. I made up some simple aluminum gear for the Skyray.

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 11:54:58 AM »
Hopefully your single center landing gear wheel will be Ok for you at your flying field.

I originally had a single wheel on a Flite Streak. Our CL field is a bit bumpy, and I kept tearing the covering underside of the outer wing on routine landings when the wing tip would drag. I eventually changed it out to 2-wheel gear. I did the same on my new Skyray 35 build. I made up some simple aluminum gear for the Skyray.
Yes.  I thought about it for a while and went with the stock LG.  I can always put a skid on the outer wingtip.  I mostly plan to fly it from grass areas. 
Just glad to be here

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 11:56:13 AM »

What did you finish the fuselage with?  I am using the Ultracote on the wing and as you see, the tail surfaces.
Just glad to be here

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »
What did you finish the fuselage with?  I am using the Ultracote on the wing and as you see, the tail surfaces.

My wing uses Monocote. All the other surfaces are Brodak butyrate dope. I am a rookie builder and can't do 'perfect' finishes. I brushed on the dope color, then a flying buddy of mine let me use his spray equipment for a final clear coat (also dope).

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 01:43:08 PM »
My wing uses Monocote. All the other surfaces are Brodak butyrate dope. I am a rookie builder and can't do 'perfect' finishes. I brushed on the dope color, then a flying buddy of mine let me use his spray equipment for a final clear coat (also dope).

Good job, it looks great Colin.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 02:05:18 PM »
Good job, it looks great Colin.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, and it flies great too thanks to a few modifications suggested by Brett Buck. And the OS 25 LA engine doesn't miss a beat.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 06:07:15 PM »
Make sure you get the leading edge well rounded.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 12:06:22 AM »
Make sure you get the leading edge well rounded.

Good eye, that could use some more work. There is a LE carving template in the kit, it should be AT LEAST as blunt as that. If you lost it, use the plans to make a new one. With a Fox, you are going to need that wing to work as well as it possibly can. Making it more blunt also reduces the criticality of getting it exactly symmetrical.

BTW, reviewing the plans, I would mildly disagree with Mikey's recommendation of a knife and sanding block to shape the LE.  If you have one, a razor plane or block plane will be a lot easier to control and keep the LE straight. I use the little Master Airscrew plane, or a very small wooden Japanese block plane. I do the majority of the shaping with the plane, taking a series of flat cuts, then just merge them with the sanding block. That will keep you from scooping it out in the middle. Put tape across the ribs just behind it to warn you when you are getting too close.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here