News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skyloft  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Pat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Skyloft
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
Hi all,

I saw on the dave brown site something called "Skyloft" that is touted as a replacement for silk span. Does anyone have any experiance with it? If so what did you think? I am always looking for new stuff to try. Thanks!

Pat

Online Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: Skyloft
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
Pat,

I have been using Skyloft for about 30 years.  Held up to the light it looks like spun nylon, is as light as silkspan, and tougher than nails.  It is virtually untearable (well, if you try hard enough you can tear anything but this stuff is tough.)  I apply and finish it the same way as silkspan, too.

Hope this helps!

Kermit

Offline Pat

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
Thank you Kermit!

I believe I will give some a try.

Pat

Offline Bart Klapinski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Does any one know what Skyloft is actually made of?

Tempest

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »
How does it apply?
Same as Silkspan?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
Does any one know what Skyloft is actually made of?

Tempest

I've not used Skyloft, but know some folks who have, and liked it. The following is copied/pasted from the Dave Brown Products website. Since it's nylon, I would expect it would not absorb water, so you wouldn't "cover wet", and like PolySpan, you wouldn't want to sand into the fabric, lest you get some sort of "fuzzies".

"Skyloft is a revolutionary covering material to replace silk and silk-span. It is light, tough and unaffected by common solvents or finishing materials. Skyloft is a continuous filament spun bonded nylon. It has been specially treated to fill completely with just a few coats of dope. (3ft. x 9ft.)"   H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
My newest Ringmaster was finished in 1992 using Skyloft! Put it on wet just like silk and doped through the fabrick.Over the ensuing years it has been torn, punctured, abused and still survives! Not as pretty as was in '92 but still strong and durable! I had the most trouble getting it to go around the wing's tips because I didn't slit it and overlap to get it to lay down. It went down eventually and in addition needed high shrink dope to tighten up.

Plane and its covering is still in service!
Phil Spillman

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »
Sounds like some of that material I used many years ago on the wing of a Starduster 600 Free Flight.  Very tough, yet a bit heavier than silkspan.  Worked okay though, since the 'duster maxed-out at Elsinore on a couple of occasions (OS .20 power).
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Pat

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »
I have already used  some stuff called "interfacing" from the local "JoAnne fabrics" store, which has the same weave as silk span, but is polyester so you can heat shrink it. Always on the look out for new stuff to try and use..

Online Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
My experience with it has been to apply wet and it will shrink a little.  Apparently, there is more to it than just nylon.  I echo Phil Spillman's comments about wing tips and compound curves in general, although due to its strength you can tug at it much more than silkspan and it won't tear.  Just be careful not to "cover in" misalignments or warps

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
I used it a long time ago when it was being sold by Southern R/C Products. What I remember is that it is heat shrinkable and shrinks a lot. It is very tough but will warp structures very easily. Go very easy with the heat as this stuff shrinks more than anything I have ever used.

Now that I think about it I think it was a product called Fabricoat that was the hight shrink stuff. Not sure if Skyloft is even heat shrinkable.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:33:55 PM by Jim Kraft »
Jim Kraft

Mike Griffin

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »
I am going to try a little and see how it does.

Mike

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
Mike, this may be one of the most important threads for us 'stubborn coverers' ever.
Recall the flurry we were in when we found the 'real silkspan' was mfd. by the tea bag mfrs...

That resulted in a dead end, I wasn't really frantic, but severely disappointed.
I had discovered Esaki silk, so stocked up on some. Nice stuff, but "IT AIN'T SILKSPAN!"

I just now ordered a package of this new Skyloft. I'll try it out with Nitrate and Butyrate both.
Floyd showed me a caution about extreme shrink with Butyrate, on silk...now I am much more cautious.

Skyloft seems to be the best of both worlds.
Another GREAT thread! Thanks, guys.

Offline Pat

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
Mike,

Please let me know how you find it to work with. I have a project coming up that I am thinking about using it on.

Pat Maset

Mike Griffin

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »
My order of Skyloft came in today from Tower.  I am making some test frames so I will let you guys know how it comes out.

Mike

Offline Jim Scott

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
I covered a Buzzard Bombshell with Skyloft in 1983.  I no longer remember if I heat shrunk it; I probably just followed whatever the instructions said.  It was finished with nitrate dope and (probably) a coat of clear Hobbypoxy.  The wing tips overshrunk and warped immediately.  Over the years it has held up extremely well.  The tips remain in the warped condition they were from the beginning.  It does puncture fairly easily now, possibly from the nitrate.

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here