News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Mustang Modifications  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Horby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Sig Mustang Modifications
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:23:35 PM »
Does any one have a list of Jim Lee's modifications he did to the Sig Mustang and what year he did them?

Warren

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Sig Mustang Modifications
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:39:44 AM »
I m unsure what mods Jim made, however I also have SIG Mustang in the works. I ditched the solid foam wing and replaced it with cored out version. Will install adjustable leadout slider  in wing tip and box for tip weights. Instead of using the molded plastic turtle deck I use it as the form to make one using molded balsa. Will also setup front for a crutch style motor mounting and configure for slide in removable tank. I prefer sheet aluminum LG fuselage mounted instead of wing mounted wire. Engine will be either  Brodak 40,  or OS 46LA , although I also am considering EVO .36 modified for fwd mounted NVA.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:17:11 AM »
I built this Sig Mustang a few years ago. The tail is extended 3/4" and the stab/elevators are widened 1" total. Crutch style nose with slide-in tank. Plastic pieces thrown away and balsa blocks hollowed for fuse top, scoop, and cowl. Tripple cored foam wings. Brodak 40 power. Flies pretty well at 40oz.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
I asked Jim about his mods earlier this year. This was his reply:

First of all, don't use the plastic top piece and scoop....     Mold the top from 3/32" medium balsa and on the bottom use a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" front to back with a scoop made from a box of very light balsa, carved and  sanded etc....
Core the wing in a standard three core fashion with  a suspended bellcrank.  The platform the plan shows is heavy and prone to failure....
We did not use full span flaps, making the outer 2-3 inches fixed..  Or adjustable on the outboard piece...
And then...   Todd's mustang has a 15" tail moment, hinge to hinge and mine is 15 1/2" - which may be a bit too much...    plus the stab/ elevator are enlarged.  22" span with a stab at 3" wide in the center and 2 1/2 at the tip.  the elev is 2 3/4" at the center and 2" wide at the tip...   
Remember that this is a rather small airplane at 490 sq in....    We both used Fox 35 ...    And in the 38 - 40 oz range this is good power....    Gotta be very careful with the wood selection and use of glue....
Equal span flaps, and try to get the asymmetry to about 1/2 - 3/4"..  lengthen the outboard ( bigger tip block?) rather than shortening the inboard...
In the mid seventies Arlie Preszler did a piece in Stunt News about lightening the Sig Mustang, which is where we started...   they were using it in WAM competition on the west coast with Veco 19's...
email again if you have more questions...
Hope This helps...
Jim     
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »
I built one many years ago.  And it came out heavy.

But I've always liked it's looks, so have the kit and plan to build another.  But this time, I'll do all the recommendations as above, but the wing core provided is perfect to use as a lost-foam wing template.  I just have to cut it up a bit.  How's that sound?

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »
Scott

I got a couple of K&B Stallion 35's you can use for power.   VD~ VD~

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:49 PM »
K&B Stallion 35 - what a great power source for a model boat and it can double as an anchor... ;D

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
I built this Sig Mustang a few years ago. The tail is extended 3/4" and the stab/elevators are widened 1" total. Crutch style nose with slide-in tank. Plastic pieces thrown away and balsa blocks hollowed for fuse top, scoop, and cowl. Tripple cored foam wings. Brodak 40 power. Flies pretty well at 40oz.

Nice Looking......

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
I built a SIG Mustang years ago per Jim Lee's numbers.  I substituted a built-up wing for the foamy.  Power was an ABC Fox 35.  This combo took me to expert winning quite a few advanced contests along the way.  The last time I flew it was about 4 years ago, at SIG.  I had changed the power plant to a reworked Magnum .36.  The Mustang was really performing well with that combo when a nasty gust of wind blew it out of the 3rd loop of the clover.....bye, bye.  This was an excellent flying flying airplane when built per Jim's instructions and substitute wood as necessary to make it light.
Fred

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »
I've had two of the SIG Mustang Stunters.  Ordered the first one as soon as I seen the ad.   Had to wait for the kit as they were not ready.   When it arrived I built it according to the instructions.  Guess I did something wrong as the bell crank mount came loose after about a dozen flights and went straight in.   Wiped out a good Fox 35 Stunt.   The second one I put top and bottom bell crank plates.   Did have to epoxy a gear leg back in once because of a gopher hole.  Lost count of how many flights I put on that bird.   Last I seen of it a gentleman wanted it and like a dummy I sold it to him.   Don't know if he still has it or not.   Both of them came out in the low 40 ounce range and both powered by Fox 35 Stunt.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:20 PM »
I built a SIG Mustang years ago per Jim Lee's numbers.  I substituted a built-up wing for the foamy.  Power was an ABC Fox 35.  This combo took me to expert winning quite a few advanced contests along the way.  The last time I flew it was about 4 years ago, at SIG.  I had changed the power plant to a reworked Magnum .36.  The Mustang was really performing well with that combo when a nasty gust of wind blew it out of the 3rd loop of the clover.....bye, bye.  This was an excellent flying flying airplane when built per Jim's instructions and substitute wood as necessary to make it light.
Fred

What model type of wood wing did you use.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »

WOW 40 ounces?! That's a featherweight for a Sig Mustang. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »
So..... what were Jim's instructions and when were they implimented? I need to know!!!  :)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
So..... what were Jim's instructions and when were they implimented? I need to know!!!  :)

You might try sending him a PM, he is on the forum here. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »

1) Throw out the wing cores
2) Throw out the formed plastic cowl, scoop, wing tips, etc.
3) Throw out all the heavy balsa.
4) Keep the canopy
5) Make longer LG legs.

That's about it!  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »

Pretty much all of it is in the fourth post of this thread. That's pretty much what I remember Jim telling me and what I did to build the one I had. I tried to make mine look like an A model Mustang, with some success. I have another kit and extra set of Aero-Smith tripple cored wing cores stashed away also. One of Bob Hunts lost form jigs would yield a nice light wing also, but simple engineering the root and wing tip airfoils and adding typical spar type construction can get you a decent wing also. Just copy Nobler type wing construction based on the wing shape and area of the kit wing. I think I used two inch wide blocks for wing tips also to gain a few extra inches of wing area. Mine came out at 41 or 42 ounces. Lost it in a crash also, something jammed inside the airplane on the outside loops. Was powered by a stock OS.FP-40. Gave an awesome run! Might have to repicate that airplane soon!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
Well..... if the mods were done in the 80's and documented, the Sig Mustang can be a competitive two event airplane. This is where I am going with this.

Warren

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
PA and ? It's not scale. It's not Classic legit. It should be N-30, I suppose. I've seen one or two N-30's around here, but I haven't figured out why. They typically fly along with Classic, but may or may not have a separate trophy set.

I could suggest a "Profile Oriental", "Original Nobler" or "Smoothie" for 2 or 3 events. Brodak kits them all, but will sell just the ribs, just the plans, etc. I think a Smoothie with an inverted engine would be DA BOMB!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 08:41:25 AM »

Fred Krueger I sent ya' a p/m..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
1) Throw out the wing cores
2) Throw out the formed plastic cowl, scoop, wing tips, etc.
3) Throw out all the heavy balsa.
4) Keep the canopy
5) Make longer LG legs.

That's about it!  ;) Steve

Been better to buy the plans and redraw them.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »
The Sig mustang should work for PA and N30, and with the leagle mods a better plane than the Nobler or Orental. Spending a huge amout of time and money into just PA  plane does not make a whole bunch a sence to me.

Warren

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
The Sig mustang should work for PA and N30, and with the leagle mods a better plane than the Nobler or Orental. Spending a huge amout of time and money into just PA  plane does not make a whole bunch a sence to me.

Warren

Really?    Build a light, straight "Impact", put a PA65 in it with a tuned pipe, fly it then come back and read your post!   You'll laugh out loud!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »
Aw, come on Scott, you know you REALLY want a K&B Stallion in your collection....................... LL~ LL~
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
neigh......

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
Tuned pipe?  I dont think so. I gave up on slimers a few years ago.

Warren

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here