News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SIG MFG, any problem receiving recent orders?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
SIG MFG, any problem receiving recent orders?
« on: December 04, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »
I have seen various reports of success and failure in getting items from SIG in the last year or so.

I emailed them today and they promptly responded that if it is shown as In-Stock on the website, it will ship out, and best to pay through website rather than by phone.

I want to believe that, but as the Gipper said, trust but verify.

Anybody have RECENT or Current experience?

Steve

Offline Jake Moon

• New Pilot
Re: SIG MFG, any problem receiving recent orders?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 01:30:22 AM »
I ordered about 30 sheets of balsa from them in July (all stuff that was in stock at the time) and paid vial credit card on the SIG site. It was delivered within a week.

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 05:09:17 AM »
I just ordered bellcranks and Koverall from Sig. It's about all that is left on the website. They're definitely done OR they're just going to sell ARF's. They even removed the front page that used to state that they were not going out of business.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:16:53 AM »
I have seen various reports of success and failure in getting items from SIG in the last year or so.

I emailed them today and they promptly responded that if it is shown as In-Stock on the website, it will ship out, and best to pay through website rather than by phone.

I want to believe that, but as the Gipper said, trust but verify.

Anybody have RECENT or Current experience?

Steve

And as an extra curiosity, if you get an order from SIG, what is the return address on the package? If you have a tracking number and check the tracking on line, what does it show as a point of origin?  This may be interesting to find out.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 08:18:53 AM »
what is the return address on the package?

New address in Des Plaines, IL is on the home page.
Greg

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 10:25:48 AM »
New address in Des Plaines, IL is on the home page.

I just checked and SIG has updated their website and shows the Des Plaines address. I had googled that address before and it came up as Evergreen Plastics, and when I just googled it again, it comes up as Plastruct, another model plastic company that supplies hobby shops and art stores.  The home page has been updated but the web site is still mostly items that are 'SOLD OUT."  The drop down menu at the top of the page doesn't show control line models like it did in the past. Selection of a lot of things from this menu shows "no products found."  I'll just keep watching and see how this progresses. It's an interesting mix of what they have and don't have right now.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 10:30:12 AM »
Downloaded PDF mail in order form still shows Iowa address......
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 02:26:25 PM »
I placed an order today.

Yesterday they had Nitrate, today they don't.  Snooze you lose.

Ordered dope and silkspan.

I sure miss the SIG of yore.  I have a catalog that Hazel signed for me. 

Wish the new SIG the best.

I will report back on how it goes.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 03:39:26 PM »
I have mentioned this on several other related posts. I web-ordered some fuel from SIG over a year ago. No fuel ever showed up. And they kept my $$. I contacted them several times and the only response I got was it was out of stock and no other explanation.

I finally just gave up on SIG. I would be very careful sending them any $$.

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 03:47:54 PM »
I placed an order today.

Yesterday they had Nitrate, today they don't.  Snooze you lose.

Ordered dope and silkspan.

I sure miss the SIG of yore.  I have a catalog that Hazel signed for me. 

Wish the new SIG the best.

I will report back on how it goes.

I'm not sure there is a new SIG. My guess is at best they're going to sell ARF's. They have virtually nothing else in stock. I ordered 3" bellcranks which the website showed in stock. To help justify the $15 shipping cost I added $26 of Koverall which I don't need but down the road probably can use. AFTER the order was shipped I got a refund for the bellcranks. I'm paying over $40 for 5 yards of Koverall that I don't need. Grrr. They were always the first place I shopped for anything model airplane related.

I just ordered Randolph dope and related chemicals from Wicks.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 05:08:17 PM »
   I am interested in the connection with Plastruct and Evergreen Plastics. As I mentioned, the new address listed on the SIG website is the same address for Evergreen and Plastruct. If you google the address and then switch to satellite view, the building isn't very big. Other than the address, nothing has really changed other than their stock on hand is getting less.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 08:29:12 PM »
   I am interested in the connection with Plastruct and Evergreen Plastics

Looks like he also owns Evergreen for about 10 years now. Even the HVAC co. on the sign is/was related.
Greg

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 01:57:48 PM »
Success!

Placed order on the 6th for items shown in-stock on the website (dope, tissue and Medium silkspan).  Paid through website.
Got an email the 6th that order was confirmed.
Email on 7th that it was shipped.
Email on 11th that it was out for delivery.
Email on 11th that it was delivered.

All the items were received.  Box was packed nice, and the cans did not crush the paper in any way.

With traditional silkspan gone, I wanted to see what the new stuff was like:

The SGM medium silkspan looked different than what they put in their kits a few years ago (when compared to the silkspan in a Banshee kit).  It was a brighter white and had a finer grain.  Old silkspan had more of a long fiber swirl and blotchy appearance from thickness variation.  New stuff had one side smoother than other side like old stuff.  I wetted a piece, and it didn't fall apart, although maybe not as strong in tension when wet.  Had a crinkle to it when dry and maintained flatness when wet.  I think it would certainly work.

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 02:34:46 PM »
Success!

Placed order on the 6th for items shown in-stock on the website (dope, tissue and Medium silkspan).  Paid through website.

All the items were received.  Box was packed nice, and the cans did not crush the paper in any

The SGM medium silkspan looked different than what they put in their kits a few years ago (when compared to the silkspan in a Banshee kit).  It was a brighter white and had a finer grain.  Old silkspan had more of a long fiber swirl and blotchy appearance from thickness variation.  New stuff had one side smoother than other side like old stuff.  I wetted a piece, and it didn't fall apart, although maybe not as strong in tension when wet.  Had a crinkle to it when dry and maintained flatness when wet.  I think it would certainly work.
AMA 21449

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 02:36:13 PM »
Success!

All the items were received.  Box was packed nice, and the cans did not crush the paper in any way.

I EMAILED THEM AND ASKED IF THE SILK SPAN WAS THE SAME AS THE STUFF THEY USE TO SELL AND THEY NEVER REPLIED BACK...IT LOOKS LIKES IT NOT THE SAME STUFF
AMA 21449

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 10:16:08 PM »
For people who have used both the Sig and Brodak version of medium Silkspan, which would you use if you had to choose just one?
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 12:19:15 AM »
Placed another order on Dec 12th and received it today, 6 days later.

Got a phone call that two small items could not be shipped, and they were refunded.

The fellow that I talked to was very nice and was hopeful they would build back.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 09:21:38 PM »
Sig to resume making kits, paints, etc. in 2024 https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=641675

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 11:46:38 PM »
I heard that too.

The fellow I talked to at SIG said he has been a modeler his whole life and that they hoped to bring back kits and paints in the Spring. 

I hope they can do it.  I placed two orders, and both worked fine, but they are low on stock.

I imagine they are in the lull between needing more orders and needing more items to sell.  I wish them success.

I find it interesting to ponder which kits they would bring back first.

Could building it yourself become cool again?

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
That would be amazing. I support them anytime I can. I started with Sig back in the 1990’s with their LT-40 kit followed by a Mid-Star 40 kit. I’m lucky to have grabbed Twister, Banshee and Chipmunk control line kits just before they quit offering them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 04:19:05 AM by Marty Hammersmith »
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2023, 10:28:04 AM »
Where in Illinois did they relocate?  I didn’t find an address on their website. 

They have certainly had time to update their site. They still have a significant number of kits in the CL page, even though they are listed as sold out.  I’m curious if the kits left with place holders on the site are the ones they plan to restart production?

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2023, 12:12:03 PM »
Where in Illinois did they relocate?  I didn’t find an address on their website. 

They have certainly had time to update their site. They still have a significant number of kits in the CL page, even though they are listed as sold out.  I’m curious if the kits left with place holders on the site are the ones they plan to restart production?

The address is on the website, 65 Bradrock, Des Plaines , IL. If you googlethat address, it comes up as the address for two other hobby related businesses, Plastruct and Evergreen Plastics. Both are manufacturers of plastic materials sold at hobby shops. The building isn't very big if you check out the satellite view. Just makes the situation more interesting. A quick check of each on Dunn and Bradstreet shows different names for each business and no mention of Herb Rizzo. They are still a long way away from producing kits, paints and such.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 02:32:16 PM »
     The address is on the website, 65 Bradrock, Des Plaines , IL. If you googlethat address, it comes up as the address for two other hobby related businesses, Plastruct and Evergreen Plastics. Both are manufacturers of plastic materials sold at hobby shops. The building isn't very big if you check out the satellite view. Just makes the situation more interesting. A quick check of each on Dunn and Bradstreet shows different names for each business and no mention of Herb Rizzo. They are still a long way away from producing kits, paints and such.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!
    Dan McEntee

I'm thinking the recent liquidation along with the "relocation" officially marks the end of SIG. I'd always held hope on this one, but here we are.
 Since the original sale of the company the resulting chain of ownership has been driving it all this direction the entire time. They can save their cookie cutter corporate excuses. These "business people" started with a very well established company that offered high quality product all provided by an extremely dedicated group of employees and started dismantling all of it day one. They're gonna take whatever chunks of change they got out of the deal, jump in their shiny new Land Rovers, and hit the road. If any sort of miracle happens to where the "SIG" brand carries on at any level I don't anticipate them offering any products that the Sigafoose's would care to have their name on. Glen, Hazel, Maxey Hester, Claude McCullough, Mike Gretz and a long list of others would be sick.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2023, 02:50:36 PM »
Nah. I can’t be that pessimistic. The hobby contracted. Otherwise, how do you explain the demise of Great Planes and the merging of once leading rivals in Tower and Horizon? They can’t all be suddenly mismanaged. Hopefully Sig will make a comeback. I’m not hugely optimistic but I like a lot of their products.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »
Hopefully Sig will make a comeback. I’m not hugely optimistic but I like a lot of their products.

SIG as most of us have known it forever is long gone, I hope that you already have existing inventory.

Wayne Willey

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »
I do.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral

Wayne Willey

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 05:31:04 AM »
I like their 3” bellcranks. They showed them in stock so I tried to buy 10. They said they were out of stock then updated the webpage. Bummer. Otherwise I’m good on Koverall and Stix-it, etc. I just started using medium Silkspan for the first time. That might be my future covering.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2023, 05:57:57 AM »
Did you get a refund on the 3" bellcranks?  (better check) I KNOW for a fact when I ordered online and the item was out of stock they "credited" my account for the out of stock items amount instead of charging me for the actual order total shipped.  On the next online order they would NOT apply the credit to it.  They jerked me around for over a month and never refunded the amount.  Ever notice how your card is charged to amount as soon as it is placed, instead of when shipped????
Bad Bad business practice.....

I like their 3” bellcranks. They showed them in stock so I tried to buy 10. They said they were out of stock then updated the webpage. Bummer. Otherwise I’m good on Koverall and Stix-it, etc. I just started using medium Silkspan for the first time. That might be my future covering.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2023, 06:29:40 AM »
Yes. I was refunded when they processed the order. No problem. Also, Sig has never charged me before they ship so I can’t relate to what you are talking about.

Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2023, 05:28:05 PM »
For what it's worth, the Sig website today (Dec. 26, 2023), contains this message:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
FROM YOUR FRIENDS AT SIG Thank you for your continued support. We're excited about continuing the SIG journey in 2024 with
a brand new website thats in progress. After settling in from the move, we will begin producing kits, paints, etc. We'll also introduce new
products in 2024 and will post them to the website when available. Thank you for your patience.
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2023, 07:30:50 PM »

This is a good example of what to look for as time goes on. SIG made EVERYTHING in house with very few exceptions. They did all there own plastic injection molding. As far as I know all that equipment was auctioned off last April.   So in order to replenishing stock, you need new equipment, which costs money. It will help if they are under the same roof as two plastic manufacturers but they will sill need tooling and molds. Add to that all the tooling for parts required to put any kits back into production. That's quite a chunk of change and its just the bell cranks. If you out source that it might run into more and opens up the chance for quality issues. Consider that problem for every  part in every kit that they might want to bring back. If any reintroduced kit is laser cut they might have to go to CAD plans and possibly re- engineer these kits. There is a lot more to it than some might think.
  Merry Christmas  and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2023, 05:23:16 AM »
Just because the machinery was sold on, doesn't mean the tooling went with - who would want the tooling anyway as it would likely all be branded with the SIG name?
Seems a happy solution to help two companies out - SIG with new machinery and a plastic moulding co with additional throughput to avoid idle machinery?

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2023, 09:47:57 AM »
I do hope the info/releases concerning Sig prove to be correct. I really do.

Sadly, I have seen new owner optimism before in other hobby sectors and it turned out to be a big nothing burger. I wish I could be more optimistic, but I'm afraid I don't hold a lot of hope that it will come to pass.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2023, 03:35:12 PM »
Yes lets hope they follow through and also bring back C/L kits as well.
Fingers crossed.  :)
https://sigmfg.com/
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2023, 04:55:00 PM »
I have no inside connections with SIG but the way things have developed with them, I feel it is wishful thinking for them to produce the products they once did.  If you notice, they have not been giving any definitive information about their future production in regard to CL kits or even RC kits.  The most I can see them offering in the future would be RC ARFs.  This is all based on the SWAG method on my part.  RSM is not coming back either and I wonder what will become of their inventory.  We may be seeing a paradigm shift in the way we will engage in the hobby in the future.  If you do not build it, it may not be available.

Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2023, 07:59:31 PM »

Sadly, I have seen new owner optimism before in other hobby sectors and it turned out to be a big nothing burger. I wish I could be more optimistic, but I'm afraid I don't hold a lot of hope that it will come to pass.

Folks,

Remember Flying Models magazine? It was my favorite model airplane mag for many years, true to the roots of the hobby right up until the end. After they went belly up I lost track of how many times the new ownership told us they'd be "firing up again soon". Their verbal pitch of a quick return to print started pretty much immediately. During the supposed "hiatus" they were even at some of the big industry shows passing around their Kool-Aid to anyone willing to swallow. I held great hope on that one too and where are they now? Sadly, FM is just one of many examples of this kind of thing in todays world.

Wayne Willey

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2023, 08:46:09 PM »
Just because the machinery was sold on, doesn't mean the tooling went with - who would want the tooling anyway as it would likely all be branded with the SIG name?
Seems a happy solution to help two companies out - SIG with new machinery and a plastic moulding co with additional throughput to avoid idle machinery?

Have you ever toured the SIG factory? Almost every processing machine was hand built by Glenn Sigafoose or he modified an existing machine to do the job at hand. Thr injection molding machines were pretty small and any molds or tooling they had for those were old and well used. All there metal forming tools were custom built by Glenn also. If that all was sold or scrapped it would have to be replaced and engineered from scratch. The cost of doing all that in this day and age would be huge. Printing plans, manuals and Decals were all done in house also. Both Glenn and Hazel were printers originally so they knew where to find equipment that needed TLC cheap and them Glenn went to work on them. The company was such a success because they kept their overhead extremely low and still put out good quality products. They moved the company from one of the cheapest parts of the country to operate a business to another that is one of the most expensive! And in my mind literally starting from scratch. In this economy and addressing a shrinking market and demographics, that's a tall order. Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong in this. But say as an example, they wanted to produce the Magnum again. People would love to see that, judging from the prices old kits are bringing, but I'll make a guess that to produce that kit again in today's world would have a street price over $350. How many budding intermediate and advanced pilot's would shell out that kind of money for that kit? Time will tell, so we'll just have to wait and see.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2023, 01:30:00 PM »
Shocked to see they list SGM (heavy) silkspan available !!  I figure even if it's not exactly what I'm used to, it's hopefully close enough for me to work with.  It's not like I was ever a Silkspan Guru anyway.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here