News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Mfg  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
Sig Mfg
« on: January 15, 2024, 04:23:56 PM »
I emailed Sig Mfg, asking if they planned to include control line kits when they got back to manufacturing again. Herb replied that they hope to in the fall.
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Re: Sig Mfg
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 08:21:54 PM »
"hope to" isn't an answer I'd bet money on.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 08:32:57 PM »
I would not hold my breath.

Mike

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 01:19:39 AM »
Originally, I had hope but no longer.
From what I read and see on the website, even if they stay around they literally have nothing for me to buy. Fuel, oil, glow plugs, selected wood were things I used to buy regularly but I don't see them stocking any of it anymore. In addition, when they were selling leftover stock of oil they raised the price so high I quit buying it then.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Michael Schmitt

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 06:14:04 AM »
 I went to SIG yesterday and had a nice visit with Herb and a tour of their building.
Herb also owns Evergreen Scale Models they make plastic polystyrene strips for model building. You see them it all the hobby shops.
They did an addition to the existing building to accommodate SIG.
They are in process of setting up the infrastructure.
They have a lot on their plate setting up SIG. Shelves and products are a work in progress.
They will have kits, wood, Dope, Fuel, glue and all the doodads!
Good things ahead!
Michael Schmitt

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:16:40 AM »
I went to SIG yesterday and had a nice visit with Herb and a tour of their building.
Herb also owns Evergreen Scale Models they make plastic polystyrene strips for model building. You see them it all the hobby shops.
They did an addition to the existing building to accommodate SIG.
They are in process of setting up the infrastructure.
They have a lot on their plate setting up SIG. Shelves and products are a work in progress.
They will have kits, wood, Dope, Fuel, glue and all the doodads!
Good things ahead!
Michael Schmitt

Thanks Mike for the encouraging report!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 12:55:21 PM »
  If they even came back with Sig-ment I'd be happy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 01:16:31 PM »
  If they even came back with Sig-ment I'd be happy.

That would be great, but in the mean time, as far as I can tell, Duco Cement is the identical product, and UHU-Hart is at least extremely close. I might even guess that the current Duco cement is the same product in the same tube, with a different label, probably from UHU.

Brett

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 02:40:27 PM »
I'd be thrilled if they get back and if they make or re-package Sigment again.  However I think I now like the fabric cement from Aircraft Spruce better and it's a bunch cheaper in the long run.  It's really thin from the can which is good for some things.  I also keep a second bottle which I have thickened to be a little MORE stiff than Sigment-and quite a bit stronger- by pouring into an open container for a couple days and let solvent evaporate.  Doubt I'd go back.  My LHS was getting $10 a tube for Sigment towards the end.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 07:12:48 PM »
   That would be great, but in the mean time, as far as I can tell, Duco Cement is the identical product,

Trying to remember, is or wasn't Ambroid the same thing too?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 07:25:11 PM »
Trying to remember, is or wasn't Ambroid the same thing too?

Definitely not.  I have examples of all of them.  All the clear ones  - SIGMENT, Duco, and UHU Hart -  are very close, if not the identical product (which I strongly suspect). Same clear liquid, same pretty thick viscosity, same smell with my calibrated nose for toxic chemicals. Actually, they smell a lot like Randolph dope.

Ambroid is orange, much thinner, definitely a different smell. Ambroid is about the viscosity of unthinned clear dope. The difference in the smell is the same sort of difference between Randolph and SIG dope.  Randolph/SIGMENT, etc, are a lot more plasticky smelling to me.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 07:26:50 PM »
   Definitely not.  I have examples of all of them.  All the clear ones  - SIGMENT, Duco, and UHU Hart -  are very close, if not the identical product (which I strongly suspect). Same clear liquid, same pretty thick viscosity, same smell with my calibrated nose for toxic chemicals. Actually, they smell a lot like Randolph dope.

Ambroid is orange, much thinner, definitely a different smell. Ambroid is about the viscosity of unthinned clear dope. The difference in the smell is the same sort of difference between Randolph and SIG dope.  Randolph/SIGMENT, etc, are a lot more plasticky smelling to me.

Brett

10-4, carry on.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 07:40:35 PM »
The stuff I’m using could be the old ambroid.  Amber,  thin,  smell.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 11:49:59 AM »
How about that '528' glue at Walmart?
I got a tube of it but not tried it yet.
Anyone have any experience with it yet?

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 12:06:08 PM »
Since I'm kind of late to the C/L world I never have used SIGment or Ambroid that so many of you talk about. When and where would you have used these adhesives? (I use DUCO for cloth hinges; CA and Titebond for most everything else)

Thanks
Mike

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 12:16:23 PM »
How about that '528' glue at Walmart?
I got a tube of it but not tried it yet.
Anyone have any experience with it yet?
Dave I used it during one past Sigment embargo.   It worked fine.    Then my local Walmart didn't have it anymore.  I think the tubes were smaller but the price wasn't.  It was hard to tell any difference except I think the 52(7) (I thought) was a little thicker.  Maybe there is a newer version now.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 12:30:06 PM »
Since I'm kind of late to the C/L world I never have used SIGment or Ambroid that so many of you talk about. When and where would you have used these adhesives? (I use DUCO for cloth hinges; CA and Titebond for most everything else)

Thanks
Mike

Nitrocellulose cements like Sigment and Ambroid was/has been the main model building glues since the 1920s.  Up until epoxies and later Cya were developed they were the only glue for everything.  Epoxy is stronger but weighs a LOT more.  Cya is fast but doesn't lose any weight due to evaporation.  It also doesn't fill gaps very well for loose joints.  Cements are still favored by many (like me) because they can be very strong but still lose most of their weight when the solvent evaporates.  The 'white' glues were only really used where foam was involved until more recent times,  some use those but they can be heavy and don't really soak in to the wood very well.  I've had one airplane basically shed it's wings while airborne (at the Team Trials no less) trying to use Titebond to attach sheeting to ribs........  The epoxy is used for laminating plywood doublers where others adhesives won't dry for lack of air and to put in motor mounts,  bell crank platforms and connecting major assemblies like wing to fuse and stab to fuse etc.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 03:17:06 PM »
Dave I used it during one past Sigment embargo.   It worked fine.    Then my local Walmart didn't have it anymore.  I think the tubes were smaller but the price wasn't.  It was hard to tell any difference except I think the 52(7) (I thought) was a little thicker.  Maybe there is a newer version now.

Dave

Thanks Dave....
You're right....it is Beacon 527 2oz tubes at WM in the Craft section is where I found it $4.38.
Last time I looked it was out of stock and also OOS online.
A similar looking glue as the 527 is nearby but is in bottles made by same company.
Might be worth a try.
I have Ambroid but is very thin and runny...gotta be careful how you lay down the tube or it will go all over the place.
Otherwise...still works like always but I doubt if we will see it again.
I like the fabric cement idea....

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 03:52:58 PM »

As noted above, Duco/SIGMENT/UHU Hart, are all the same thing or at least very close. Ambroid and apparently Dave's fabric cement is the same idea with slightly different contents.

These are what are called "model cements" and go back to the early 1900s. Ambroid originally started out as a coating use to apply and seal canvas on the bottom of canoes. Duco and things like it were called "household cements". Recall that in this era, hide glue was pretty much all there was, so having an air-drying glue/cement was a bit of a new thing, They were/are basically some sort of plastic dissolved in some sort solvent, when the solvent evaporates it leaves the hard plastic behind. It's not a lot different from plastic model cement, different plastic (polystyrene) but again the same concept. It's also the same idea as nitrocellulose and butyrate lacquer, just thicker.

I one time found an old book from the 20's telling you how to make cheap glue by dissolving celluloid toothbrush handles in acetone as a alternative to that expensive pre-made Amber-Oid.

After they discovered balsa wood ,they also found that the household cements were great for holding together balsa, and reasonably fast-drying. They sand better than most of the alternatives, so there is still some use to them. Much later someone came up with water/casein-based white glue and still later aliphatic wood glue, and still later acrylic and cyanoacrylate adhesives which became common in the 70s when the Hunter brothers started marketing it to modelers.

Ambroid was for many, many years the gold standard of model adhesives, and probably would be still be my choice for gluing balsa if it was that or Duco/SIGMENT, etc. It's not nearly as strong or fast as any of the current alternatives. I use lots of cyanoacrylate (Zap thin CA and Hot Stuff "Super T"  medium), some epoxy, and small amounts of aliphatic and only tiny bits of model cement. I have a little tube of UHU Hart in my toolbox for quickie repairs.

Brett

p.s. one of the big issues with model cement is that is shrinks a lot as it dries. This can cause all sorts of problems in both keeping your airplane straight, or the finish, because if you finish over it, all the seams sink in later and show the joint lines. You can use it to your advantage to patch holes in silkspan/dope and some other areas.

Ambroid was also notorious for leaving orange lines in your paint, since dope thinner is also Ambroid thinner, and it was tinted amber/orange. SIGMENT is at least clear so when it happens you can't see it.

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 04:52:37 PM »
Thanks for the all the information.

Mike

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 05:45:25 PM »
Simplifying things:
Ambroid is essentially nitrate dope. It has no fuel proofing characteristics.
The Sigment and the long gone Pactra c-77 claimed to have some fuel proof advantage.

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2024, 09:25:41 AM »
I just ordered some VPS AM_DROID nitrocellulose adhesive that is supposed to be like Ambroid. It is available from Volareproducts.com for $5 per 50ml squeeze bottle.
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2024, 10:53:48 AM »
I use three glues in general. Note I build 1/2A, and am about to go up to .15 and .25 powered mid-size planes. None of my planes are keepers, although I still have my two boys' Cox-powered DPC Models. Usually I crash and fix until the plane is too fragile or damaged to fix. This way I get to have more planes...just not all at once. Bwahaha!

I use nitrocellulose glues such as Sig-ment for most open-to-air joints like ribs to LE/TE and tail surfaces to fuselage (previously used Ambroid). This is because those joints can be set faster and sanda-able sooner than yellow glues. If I am at work and can afford the time, yellow glues don't stink up my office. I found a bulk supplier that I'll try next: https://www.3riversarchery.com/nitrocellulose-adhesive-fletching-glue.html?variant_id=1320801

I use epoxies for critical strength joints like firewalls, engine crutches, and bellcrank platforms. I've successfully tried thinning epoxy for a fuel-proofer on firewalls.

I like the sand-ability of one of the aliphatic resins (yellow wood glue) I think it is TiteBond II or III. The only two tricks are:
It takes a bit to set, this requires pinning or jigging.
It needs to thoroughly dry before sanding (as in "days").
I thin it a bit for the wetting of wood, and follow-up full-strength for a double-glued joint. I find the "yellow glues" joint to be capable of taking crashes a bit better than the nitrocellulose glues. But the extra build time is a bit of a drag.
I won't use yellow glue for firewalls, or big surface area joints...those I use epoxy.

Rarely will I use CA glue. It stinks too much and burns my eyes. Maybe I need to install a bathroom ceiling fan in my Hobby Closet.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 07:39:03 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2024, 05:37:26 PM »
I think SIG is waiting until they can have a full page ad in Flying Models magazine.    LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2024, 08:39:26 PM »
I think SIG is waiting until they can have a full page ad in Flying Models magazine.    LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Now THAT'S a good one!  y1

Wayne Willey

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2024, 04:19:08 PM »
Sigment is on my list of useless crap. I built a Starduster X wing with it, double glued all joints, and it pretty much just fell apart when lifted off the board. I re-assembled it with Ambroid and had no problems with it.

It would be great if somebody would import "Tarzan's Grip" from Ozzie. I saw a billboard advertising it along the highway and brought back a tube in my luggage. That probably would get me jail time these days. If any Ozzies use it, go ahead and brag!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2024, 04:28:12 PM »
Well if you want it Tarzan glue is available on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m570.l1313&_nkw=tarzan%27s+grip+glue&_sacat=0

Best,   DennisT

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2024, 04:47:01 PM »
Thanks, Dennis...the price is kinda high, but the $20 shipping is a deal-breaker, especially since it says other fees may apply! Epoxy, CA and Titebond will have to suffice.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here