News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Magnum  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Sig Magnum
« on: August 17, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
I bought a Sig Magnum kit from a forum member recently. Why? I don't know, just a temporary case of "Gotztahavit". No plans to build it any time soon though, I need to get my skills back to snuff first.

Question: when was it designed and what years was the kit in production? While the Sig Mustang Stunter had recently debuted when I hung up the handle I don't' recall the Magnum.

Bruce

Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Sig Magnum
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
1986 is when I bought my kit and it was pretty new then. That and brand new ST V60.
Chris...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »
  Go over to the Nos30 section and search around. There was a discussion about when the Magnum becomes/became legal for that event. It's a pretty good flying airplane and a good match for the ST.51. Mike Pratt needs to see this and can fill in the blanks as it was his baby. I think he checked in on the discussion that I mentioned. I have a few of them stashed in case I want to revisit the design.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »
Make Sure you use 1/8 dia wire in horns etc .

It'd tart up into a P-51 Nicely . B or D .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 11:19:31 PM »
It'd tart up into a P-51 Nicely . B or D .

Todd Lee beat you to it, about 25 years ago!

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 11:26:15 PM »

Tho the " Miss R.J. "d be easier ? as full size , the rear deck top is straight line , canopy'd be rear of commercial one .
was later Roto Finish the red as Red Baron .BEFORE the Griffon conversion .

For what its worth . Could ME 109 it to , or about anything else you fancied .
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:04:32 PM by Matt Spencer »

Online Tony Drago

• Captain

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:12 AM »
Vague memory of Ted Fancher doing a write up about it in one of the mags? Think he mentioned four stroke power and maybe increasing the vertical stabilizer/rudder volume?  Was it the AMA mag or maybe even RCM?  I’ve got a copy here somewhere I think.   Got a portly version hanging on the wall ( never to be flown) the first foam wing attempt. I still have a second Magnum kit in the box.

T. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:42:00 PM by TigreST »
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »
Mine became a P-40 warhawk in 1990.  Portly but still a good intermediate flyer back then.  Was capable of much better if kept to a decent weight.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 07:30:38 PM »
Cant be completely hopeless . 2002 World Champs .

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »
Cant be completely hopeless . 2002 World Champs .

Bill Werwage in the center, who are the other two with the Mustangs?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
   Todd Lee is on the left, with his Magnum Opus.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 10:15:04 PM »
   Todd Lee is on the left, with his Magnum Opus.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Thanks Dan, that's the best looking Magnum I've ever seen, exactly what I'd imagined doing with mine until I sold the kit a couple years ago.

Wonder what all he changed with his wing though, in this photo it appears to be built up instead of the fully sheeted foamie?

Wayne Willey

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 04:16:34 AM »
I remember Todd Lee related that he removed foam from the wing which gave it the built up wing look.  Later he stated that the wing airfoil profile changed as the remaining foam sort of deformed due to the loads placed on it during flight.

T.
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 04:43:54 AM »

That might be the airplane he crashed at the 2003 NATs - hit the ground and the pieces blew into the soybean field almost immediately in the 25+ mph wind.

He had a silver one before that the used the first version of the Dixon "kept foam" method, on that one the wing collapsed a bit, but it still few fine. He finished between Ted and I at the 2000 NATs and did very well at the next TT (a few days before 9/11).

The Magnum design appears to fly just fine. It's different from what I would do, but it's perfectly OK. I *wouldn't* put much less power in it than an ST60 - an ST46 really isn't enough, and lots of people tried it with marginal results.

Brett

Offline Ferenc Zámolyi

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
The guy on the right is Brazilian top-flyer Benedito (Bene) Rdrigues

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »
As I recall, Mikey Pratt campaigned his first one(s) with an OS40 4 cycle. For him, anyway, the better torque and RPM range suited the pattern.
\LOU
\BEST\LOU

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »
The guy on the right is Brazilian top-flyer Benedito (Bene) Rdrigues

Rodrigues  (to correct the typo.)

Bene has been a mainstay on the Brazilian team for many years.  He has been to our Nats and has attended VSC at least several times.

Keith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »

Thanks for filling in the details guys, interesting stuff.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 11:13:30 PM »
I really need to get mine finished up...

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 11:17:41 PM »
   That might be the airplane he crashed at the 2003 NATs - hit the ground and the pieces blew into the soybean field almost immediately in the 25+ mph wind.

He had a silver one before that the used the first version of the Dixon "kept foam" method, on that one the wing collapsed a bit, but it still few fine. He finished between Ted and I at the 2000 NATs and did very well at the next TT (a few days before 9/11).

The Magnum design appears to fly just fine. It's different from what I would do, but it's perfectly OK. I *wouldn't* put much less power in it than an ST60 - an ST46 really isn't enough, and lots of people tried it with marginal results.

Brett

Todd flew his 5th iteration Magnum Opus at the Nat's this year, and seemed to effectively disrupt the status quo.  Think he placed 6th overall.

At the risk of throwing the old man under the bus, dad finished a Magnum many years ago that he bought half-built from a guy in St Louis.  Finished it with the box art pattern, but in white with red, yellow, and black trim.  Came out at a decent weight (the exact number eludes me), but then got ahold of some vinyl Aeroshell graphics, meant for use on race cars, and stuck a bunch of them on.  Between the super-thick vinyl, and the clear used to seal them, it really packed on the pounds...I wanna say in the 70oz realm.  Still flew well and he collected some hardware with it.  It had a stock ST51 up front.  That model is on my "models of yesteryear" list to replicate someday, but use thinner, lighter graphics.

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 12:03:18 PM »
Magnum!! Mike Pratt needs to type in here, as all the credit goes to him for producing this competitive and accessible Pro Stunt Model. At the time this was about the best off the shelf option to progress past a Super Chipmunk and the like. Mike even published a workup of Magnum "Hop-Ups" that included control system discussion and tips on foam wing construction.

As a matter of competition, The Magnum won Advanced at the Nats three years in a row. Mike in 1989, John Davis in 1990, and my first Magnum Opus in 1991. Mike and John were flying basically box stock models, John powered his with a ST 60. Mine had an Aerosmith Foam Core (Scott Smith from NY) sheeted D Tube style, a longer tail moment with a Fancher Imitation style built up Stab/Elev. And a lowly out of the box OS 46SF-S.

The second version Opus had another Aerosmith Triple core foam wing. Famously over cored in an effort to reduce weight and remove foam, it slowly collapsed as the tissue shrank over time resulting in the unique "Caved In" airfoil. Pollywog aside, this model was an even farther departure from the Magnum. Fast forward to Magnum Opus V, begun in the fall of 2003 after the Balsa Explosion that Brett related. It only took.... Mmmmm… 15+ yrs to complete. And to that end, the only thing left of the Magnum kit is the name.

Having said all that, I can whole heartedly agree that a kit Magnum is a solid PA model. With a few modern upgrades in the control system etc, and a reasonable powerplant, the Magnum is really a great model. Thank you, Mike.  :) ::) y1

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29:44 PM »
The second version Opus had another Aerosmith Triple core foam wing. Famously over cored in an effort to reduce weight and remove foam, it slowly collapsed as the tissue shrank over time resulting in the unique "Caved In" airfoil. Pollywog aside, this model was an even farther departure from the Magnum.

The most interesting thing about that is, for all the gassing on we do about airfoil this and boundary layer that, the airplane flew just fine, and came in very close 2nd at the 2000 NATS!

Brett

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »
Great information. Thanks for answering my questions.

Pretty sad that a kit I hadn't heard of until last year is N30 eligible.  Where did the last 35 years go? And who is that old guy I saw in the mirror this morning?
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
Surprised this cool Sig nostalgia site was not suggested yet

https://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/sig-c-l-kits/
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »

......And who is that old guy I saw in the mirror this morning?

Your dads son! 

I notice more and more of my dad at every viewing these mornings through the steamy mirror.  I like to think he was a handsome  fella.  I miss him !

T.
Knew you knew that. 

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here