News:

• May 08, 2024, 07:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SIG BANSHEE  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
SIG BANSHEE
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Hi all, I just bought a Sig Banshee, never built or flew one..It looks like a good flyer, but I have a few???s.Are there any quirks to the kit, anything to beef up, and will a fox 35 pull it sufficiently, or should I go with a 40?...thanx in advance..BOB..aka. "HOOSIER DADDY"

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: SIG BANSHEE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »
All in all this is still a pretty good flyer. However, many have moved the wing forward to create "reasonable" modern nose and tail moments. (Yeh, that nose is way too long even for Jimmy Durante). The rudder and stab/elev could stand to be enlarged some as well.

The one I kit bashed years ago as a Stilletto-ish in SN had a nose moment of 9 inches, tail moment of 15 1/2 inches. I increased the flap size(s) to 3" at the root, and 1 1/4 at the tip. Mine is powered by a Randy Smith FP .40. It still flys very well in it's current (crash/repair, crash/repair, etc.) overweight state!

(no pics, it's way too uuuuugly!)

Ward-O

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
Mornin Bob,

Dang it's gonna take a while for that to sink in, Hoosier Daddy, I built a "Banshee" a few years back and used a Fox .35S it performed well stock, no mods to the airframe. But now that I think about it it was a little sluggish in the corners(probably me) so I think the better choice would be the .40. My 2 cents worth.

"Billy G"   %^@
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:59:38 PM »
I have a really ugly one hanging on the wall. It was my son's stunt trainer. No flaps and substantially increased tail moment, tail volume and shortened nose moment. Had an OSFP35 for power. It flew pretty well, all things considered. Many crashes and many repairs. One wing is red dyed silkspan, the other white. A wicked warp in the outboard wing that too a tab to fix. But, it can still fly a pattern.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »
I got off the bay..thought the nose looked a bit long as well...but Im a sucker for a good deal and not a great flyer, so Im happy..will post some pics when I get around to it. thanx for the answers..H.D.{easier to type than Hoosier Daddy}

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »
Thanx, Biilly G....for the comment re: a 40 for the plane..however, Hoosier is on a c/l budget closely monitored by the one and only Hoosier Momma..so, Im in the ureely ezjust buy lo and sell hi on ebay to get the bucks on the side..so Hoosier Daddy can buy his O.S. 40..so far ebay has been a ton of fun this winter...{Id tell you what the balance sheet looks like, but youll have to wait till tax time is over with}. One more thing, as you know, you are the my engine guru, so Im sure yur gonna have a better engine idea than the O.S...so lets have em!!..your pal, Hoosier D.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:44:02 PM »

If it doesnt ,it will with 20 % Nitro.

Matt (we have our methods) Spencer.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:14:01 AM »
It flies great with the Fox. Shorten the nose 1" and build light and straight. It performs fine as designed, but if you want to go to a larger stab/elevator and slightly bigger flaps a better corner can be had. My first contest was flown with a bone stock Banshee/Fox 35 combo.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 06:35:47 AM »
Thanx guys..good advise as usual. Ill keep you posted...Hoosier Daddy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
Hi all, I just bought a Sig Banshee, never built or flew one..It looks like a good flyer, but I have a few???s.Are there any quirks to the kit, anything to beef up, and will a fox 35 pull it sufficiently, or should I go with a 40?...thanx in advance..BOB..aka. "HOOSIER DADDY"

Hi Bob,

Might as well throw in my 2 cents...........adequately adjusted for inflation.

The Banshee should get a nose job as about everyone says.  Probably isn't as bad if th Fox 35 is used with no muffler, buta more modern heavier engine is gonna cause balance problems.

Go with the 40 size engine and chop off some Jimmy Durante.  it should then be fine!

Billy Boy
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here