News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:29:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Showtime laser - BOB WHITELY  (Read 1852 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Showtime laser - BOB WHITELY
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
One of my earliest memories of a Stunt even was in 1987 - Which was my 1st Nats I ever attended, I was 8 years old. I went up to fly in Junior stunt.

Bob Whitely & Tom Dixon came over flying - Thunderbird and Bob with his Laser - and performed really well ( 2nd place )

Pictured : Bob Whitely- Laser USA 2nd, Paul Turner - Wind Wizard AUS 1st , Brian Eather - Fireccracker 3rd

Does anyone have any more photo's of this plane? Was this the " Showtime Laser" that won the concorse?

I was so young I dont remember really anything about it except that someone said it was heavy ( 73 oz )

I thought back then - how good it was to have top level USA fliers make the trip down to Australia and compete - thinking it was a regular thing. We havent had any fly in the Main draw since. ( Sorry Tom Dixon did come back in 1993 ). 24 years have since passed -

REALLY super nice guy also but im preachign to the choir.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:51:02 PM by PJ Rowland »
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Walter Hicks

Re: Showtime laser - BOB WHITELY
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
This is not the "Showtime" Laser , I believe the Showtime was at the 89 Nats ,I have some pictures somewhere.This one is possibly  Bob W offshoot of Gid Adkissons Laser 200.Someone may know but he placed very well  (2nd?) at the Nats with this one?  The very first contest I ever went to there was this BIG Mustang with a Tiger 60 flown by Bob.(1984)  I was hooked right then and there.

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »
PJ
   This was my first Nats, but only as supporter for a local combat flyer
who was competeing,I remember the laser and watching him fly it,
very quick lap times and super sharp corners.
Paul Allen
OZ

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:34:59 AM »
I was not sure - Thats why I said " was this the Showtime Laser"  .. I wish I could remember more about that day it was so long ago.

Just thought the forum needed some different questions and reflections are always nice :)
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »

I thought back then - how good it was to have top level USA fliers make the trip down to Australia and compete - thinking it was a regular thing. We havent had any fly in the Main draw since. ( Sorry Tom Dixon did come back in 1993 ). 24 years have since passed -

REALLY super nice guy also but im preachign to the choir.

If it wasn't darn near impossible to travel I and and number of others would be doing that periodically. As it is, it's darn difficult to get to Muncie once a year.

BTW, I will see RJ in about 1/2 hour and will tell him someone thinks he's a super-nice guy.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
   (snip)
     BTW, I will see RJ in about 1/2 hour and will tell him someone thinks he's a super-nice guy.

Brett

Brett, I hope you forgot to do that, we would hate for alfadawg to get the big head.........

(even though I do agree with PJ! LOL!!)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
>>BTW, I will see RJ in about 1/2 hour and will tell him someone thinks he's a super-nice guy. <<

Let us know if he growls.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »
hehehe Aphadawg always gives me a chuckle.....and good advice. Tiger on the outside but a grumbling pussycat under the hood.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
I wanted to see some more photo's of that model.. or the One he won the concourse with.

Part of the reason for that post was - Imagine what it was like for a young boy seeing this " top american star " Come out and compete and match it with our best. Super tight courners Great looking model - This was my first encounter with someone of that statue.

Brett - I don't blame you or any of the other guys for not coming down here - I Know exactly what its like trying to get over to the USA. Its tough  - Our Nats simply aren't as big as yours. I think the USA Nats experience is the place to be for our sport. - What I meant by my statement wasnt one of resentment - but As a boy I thought it was normal that we always had Big USA Stars come to fly. - Having NO idea how large the world was at that age. The older I got - the quicker time passed. I was just commenting how quickly time flies for everyone & it will be nice to catch up with RJ and his Hawian shirt !

I cant image how difficult it must be for the guys on the West coast to make the journey over to Muncie - Its such a long way.  HB~>

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »
Yes, he is one of the true gentlemen of the stunt world.  Went to Tuscon town for the wife's Aunt Betty's birthday.  Went to the field on Saturday morning and guess who was sitting in his El Camino reading a book.  Waiting for someone to show up to fly.  After an hour or more finally told him so long and headed back to the Aunts place.  Nobody ever showed up to fly and he didn't have a plane with him.  Great guy to talk to and put up with someone like  me. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
Bob had a number of Lasers based on Gid Atkinson's Laser 200. The one that he took to the Aus Nats was his own design and was Monokote covered I think. I used the box for a while to ship models back and forth from St. Louis to Los Angeles a few times in the 90's when TWA had L-1011's and the bulk cargo doors were big enough, come to think of it, it would fit in a 727 too. It was a huge box!

Anyway, the Showtime Laser was slimmer and more of a stunt ship than the scale like Lasers before. He painted Showtime with a different scheme and won the '89 Arlie Prezler Prop for best finish. He was in the top ten but missed the fly-off. The model made the fly-off in 1992 and was fourth. It still flies and I flew it a couple of years ago at Tucson. It's very heavy, probably weighs 80 oz, but flies very well once you get on to it's over turning the corners (I wanted to try a hard point handle on it but didn't have one at the time).

I cannot remember which model the Aus Laser was, but it may have been the model that he destroyed flying in a 30 mph wind at Eloy, AZ around spring 1988. I had one of his old X45 Derringers and refused to fly in the conditions. He and Bart were in contention and Whitely forgot to signal (remember those days?) because his hat flew off (IMO, I kind of recall the hat being Aussie). He completed a decent flight and was marginally ahead of Bart. Bart refused to fly another flight but the CD said Whitely's flight wasn't official because of the signal. Bob flew again and the wind went from 20 to 30 mph. The model had insufficient horn strength and during the outsides it crashed and blew into a million sticks, the wind carrying off the wreckage like it was never there, poof.  The engine flew down the ramp hitting Kaz in the ankle.

Chris...

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Bob had a number of Lasers based on Gid Atkinson's Laser 200. The one that he took to the Aus Nats was his own design and was Monokote covered I think. I used the box for a while to ship models back and forth from St. Louis to Los Angeles a few times in the 90's when TWA had L-1011's and the bulk cargo doors were big enough, come to think of it, it would fit in a 727 too. It was a huge box!

Big box huh? I havent built enough Take apart models to be able to do one to the level of fit and finish of a yatsenko model so When i come over Im bringing a regular sized model over - as well as a model for classic. They will both be in the same box. I decided to get my box custom made in a flight case.
There is a company locally who will make custom made light weight flight cases for airline flight. A few weeks ago I took both models down to get them measured up. The guy was so Nice and very professional the box will be 1 inch wide all the way around the model and will fit the contours of the model exactly. With CNC Milled Foam inserts. They use 7mm light weight Polypropelene honeycomb panels for the side walls. 6 - 8 weeks production time and a 6 year warranty. Even with 2 models ( one on the bottom the other upside down sitting ontop. Its still a very VERY compact box. Here is a photo of a Chello Case they did. To date I havent got any photos of the box as it hasnt been completed. he estimates the box will only be 58" wide at its widest and weigh no more than 20 kg. with both models inside.

This style of box what I will use on subsequent trips to USA in the comin years.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
  The model box that Chris talks about stood about 5 feet high or so, had to have wheels on the bottom,(nose down side) so you could wheel it along holding onto a handle on top. It was sorta shaped like a barn when standing on the wheels. I stored it in my garage for Chris when it was in St. Louis. It was the only thing big enough to hold his Golden Falcon, other than the trunk of his old Oldsmobile! y1 LL~ I used this box to help me design the box I used for my first trip to VSC. I may have been one of the first "fly in " contestants there!
  I always did like Adkinson's Lazer. Another one for the stunt model bucket list!
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here