News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shop updates  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Shop updates
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
With the flying season coming to an end( at least for us yankees) has anyone made any improvements to their building areas?
I currently build in an unfinished basement. Last year I bought a 6' garage storage rack for a workbench. This year I've added several more light fixtures and am going to cork a stairwell wall to hang plans on. In the future I hope to paint floor and walls and add a TV( radio in use now)
I have a terrible habit of dragging most of my hardware to the garage every spring, hopefully these improvements will stop the annual migration.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Shop updates
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Mine's coming around for it's annual cleaning. Does that count?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:25:09 AM »
I build in my unfinished basement too...a sewer backup is forcing a general cleanup, overdue anyhow.  Luckily nothing perishable was on the floor. 

I'm thinking of a new garage, with workshop built in--maybe in a year or two (with luck, before the old one falls in on my car). 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Lieutenant
    • Dayton Buzzin' Buzzards Home
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:29:08 AM »
I also build in an unfinished basement.  My shop is all torn up right now because I inherited my workbenches and cabinets from work when we moved to a smaller location.  I built 8' x 6' walls and am currently hanging the cabinets.

Maybe we should resurrect the thread of folks sending in pix of their shops. 

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:03:11 AM »
Really wanna go there?
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
I have all kinds of plans but stuff seems to get in the way. My shop is a 30 X 40 pole barn that the previous owner built and more or less insulated. I try to keep an area open so I can get a car or my tractor in if I need to work on something. The airplane part is a 20 X 15 section out of one corner and the rest is taken up with two electronics/computer benches, a general work bench with a set of acetylene torches and two welders, then I have a mill and lathe in one corner and the rest is storage shelves and a bathroom.

The area I try to keep clear seems to collect stuff , it always needs straightening and organizing. 3 work benches, 2 building tables, a roll around welding table and you couldn't find an open place to lay a flashlight without having to sit it on something. Maybe this winter I'll get organized.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:27:21 AM »
Mine is over my garage and while well insulated in ceiling and walls, the floor needs to done. Pretty hard to heat when it gets cold when all the heat goes out the floor.

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »
More efficient than going out the ceiling.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
"Clean mind, clean body, clean shop".

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
My shop and garage are one in the same...My wife insists that her BMW belongs in the garage
but I am not totally convinced of that...I reminded her that she said the garage was my "man"
space and that it wasn't supposed to rain anymore for the next week or two...this did not go
over as well as I hoped...all I got in response was "THE LOOK" you married guys know exactly
the one I am talking about.  I told her I would have her back in by the end of this weekend. I
guess I am cleaning my "shop" this week...pictures forthcoming.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
Well I finally found the cabinet I put in the back of the shop.  Cleaned some stuff off the floor.  Got rid of a couple of kits.  Also some airplanes I didn't think were worth saving anymore.  Got rid of the electric heater that tried it's best last winter.  Now have a natural gas wall mounted heater.  Earlier in the year I went looking for one.  Home Depot and Lowes both said they would not be in til November when needed.  They didn't know that it does get cold in October in Kansas.  Went to Sutherland's and found what I had been looking for all along.  It was around $120.00 with all the fittings.  Designed for 700 square space.  Just barely have the thermostat turned on and it is comfy.  Even little Sandy likes it out there now.

Soon as I finish the planes I am working on will get busy this time.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

Floyd

A clean shop is the sign of a sick mind...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
I'd like to have a separate building for my shop, but with the present economic climate I don't see that in the near future. Hopefully in 15- 20 years when I am of retirement age( if thats still an option) we'll downsize the house and supersize the shop.
 Bob Reeves, my father built a 40x60 Morton building several years ago.Turn 1/3 of it into living quarters( 2 bdrm , large common area, 1 bath). The other part is all workshop, with separate rooms for his miter saw and reloading equipment. The main area is open with 20+ feet of workbench(old bowling alley). Of course 1/2 of that is for my mothers crafts. After the house part was finished, he talked my mother into another building for the tractors, quad and her car.
Somehow that silver tongue must have skipped a generation.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
I finally got the *flood* taken care of in the basement, and can actually work on my main table!  The side counters are still out of commission...........  too much stuff piled on them that I haven't found a new place for.

Finally back to building. (but the space will always look like a *wreck*)  ;D

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »

Floyd

Floyd, your just sick! :##
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Michael Brooks

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:14:22 AM »
After a very long wait, I now have a shop all to myself. The building was put up about 2 weeks ago. As soon as the electrician is done (tomorrow, I hope), I'll insulate it and put up some pegboard etc. It will have heat and air conditioning. I may just move in and do nothing but build all winter.  y1 The goal is to be finished, moved in, and started on my winter project by Nov. 14, my birthday. Can't think of any other way I'd rather spend the day this year because it falls on a Saturday.

Mike
Mike Brooks
AMA 65566

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here